Any one done any good.

Any one done any good?

Just got back from shooting a drilled field had 42 crows and 6 pigeons. started at 6:00. could not see my furthest decoy due to thick fog which disapeared at around 9:00 to reveal a large flock of crows in the opposite field let of a couple of shots every thing flew off to the wood and then slowly drifted back in two's and three's and i had continuose shooting since then.

:unsure: :):P:/

:) Been to look at some newly drilled beans and apart from a couple of pigeons basking in a tree saw nothing.

After a week or more of high pressure and little wind the pigeons seem to be happy to sit around in their woods etc and not bothering to come out to play. :< :unsure:

Spent all morning and half the afternoon looking around but nothing worth setting up for. One of my shoots has just spun some beans on so should come good by the end of next week, far better than when they are drilled in deep I reckon. Still a few on the nearby rape but I hope this 30 acre field will localise them again for a while.

Good luck out there you pigeon spotters, reckon you're going to need it at the moment.

Guest flightline

Three fat pigoens eating ash tree buds in my back garden at 6pm today just prior to roosting. Wonder what it tastes like? Buds not pigeon. :unsure: Out tomorrow but not much hope of a big day as apparently there will be little wind and its from SE.

Not too bad for me...

3 clients have killed 240 pigeons for 613 shots over the last 2 days...

Their shooting could have been a good deal better, ( THE BIRDS DECOYED REALLY WELL) and as always they could have taken many more shots, but that is entirely up to them...

All the fields that we have shot over have been drilled barley. A couple of them looked like they would produce much better shooting, especially one of the fields as it had something like 3,000 on it when I checked it shortly after first light...

As I mentioned in another thread, the birds are in great condition and they are just not feeding strong...

Most of the bean and barley drilling is now in on my patch. The next lot to go in will be the pea drilling which should happen when the soil temperature is a bit higher, possibly another week...

DON'T IGNORE THE RAPE......

Right now the rape is strarting to bolt. This leaves those hard hit areas (under sitty trees etc) shorter than the rest of the crop. The birds will be back in those areas when the drilling runs out. This concentrates the birds into much smaller areas, especially on the larger rape fields. These places always give up a few very good bags for us. Keep your eye on them and don't be too blinkered about drilling. At best drilled fields will give up 1 good day, the rape will give you many...

Good luck everyone...

Shoot straight...

GARY...

Yet again Gary has posted another fantastic post. Top tips fella . Although i ahve my own land to shoot over your slowly bringing me round to paying for your service. If it is anywhere near as good as your posts i'll doubt i will be able to get in at short notice. More power to you fella

all the best yis yp

(please note gary has promised me 2 days FREE shooting AND £50 for posting this ) :unsure: :):P

all the best yis yp

Just got access to another large farm today. Went to check it out. There's some sitty trees, with serious damage to the rape nearby. Pigeons were not coming out to play today. They were all sitting in some trees in a wood way behind. A shot or two sent them into the air, only to return to their trees.

Will have an early morning session next weekend, and in the meantime try to locate the owner of the wood and ask him about shooting it.

Shot over drilled beans, same field as previous saturday.

Went out at 1pm, couldn't get out earlier due to work.

Shot 16 and had to shoot well to get them.

This week the local farmers have drilled everywhere and the pigeons are just not concentrating on one particular field. Birds shot contained barley and oats.

Again sport was dead until 3pm then had one good hour and it dried up completely, about an hour earlier than the previous saturday.

Not many birds concentrating on one flightline and two other gunds shooting across the road, one shooter never failed to get all three barrels off each time he shot. This made birds very wary and some appeared to spook at the magnet. Unfortunetley the field I shot had also been shot two days ago.

Out again tomorrow on drilled barley in the afternoon after I've dusted a couple of rounds of clays.

Won't take the magnet, just try a floater and see what happens. The area I'm shooting hasn't been shot yet so all being well I might get a good couple of hours.

Shot Saturday over a big rape field. The field was one of few that have not blown. Got there for 6am but fog didn't clear until 9ish :<

Birds decoyed really well and came to the rotor without spooking. Shot 46 until I had to leave at 4pm. Would have been better if more of the lads were out to help keep the birds on the move.

Well after seeing no pigions on my drive to the farm, I set up in a known "resting area". When the fog cleard I saw 12 birds until lunch time (shot 10). went home well chuffed at decoying 12 birds from an empty sky.

I got a lot more out of the small sucsess than one of those days when they just come no matter how bad your layout is.

One shot was for a bird up at the limmit that I shoot and was traveling so fast it coverd 150 yards before it hit the deck with a great puff of dust, it was not gliding either (I swung so fast I fell over :*) ).

Guest flightline
Three fat pigoens eating ash tree buds in my back garden at 6pm today just prior to roosting. Wonder what it tastes like? Buds not pigeon.  :unsure: Out tomorrow but not much hope of a big day as apparently there will be little wind and its from SE.

It was a good day after all so shows how much I know.A rape field had been redrilled in the bit that had taken a severe knocking-whether for game cover or what I don`t know. I just set up on it underneath a flightline and it went really well except the wind veered 90 degrees having started in the East and that messes up your pattern which I reset twice. The large flocks seem to have gone and the birds dropped in all day in penny packets. :)

Just knew that those spun on beans would come good. Arrived at midday to find a few pigeons about but nothing to get excited over. Set up with 20 shell decoys and made a hide with plenty of top cover in it close to a sitty tree in the hedge. Sun and what little breeze there was to my back, making it harder fro Mr. Woody to see me. Waited about half an hour and started to wonder if I was wasting my time when the first few trickled over the hedge opposite and came straight on to the deeks, had one but for the first hour shot pretty poorly. They just kept coming and swirling round over the deeks making for some great shooting. Have to admit that I should have shot 100 but actually picked up just 57 pigeons and 1 magpie, great day out, lovely weather, warm and very pleasant.

Interesting to note the value of having a good top to the hide, used my small cammo net up the back of the sparse hedge and over the top of where I was sitting. Put the larger net to the front leaving myself a nice window to shoot over the deeks. Well worth the extra effort as they came in with such confidence.

I have had some good days on drilling in the last two weeks, the best being 137 on drilled barley and 226 on drilled beans, the 226 was with a mate. I shot 24 Rooks/crows and 52 pigeons on monday afternoon but saadly the drillings have all but finished a good down pour might help things. Now the flocks are breaking up and the rape is blooming there might be a chance of better bags on the rape a friend of mine had his best day ever on rape (256) at this time of year ( guess who that was Lazza )