20 Bore Question

dead-eye-dick

I suppose that the pattern won't be that dissimilar, same load through the same choke. Although there is probably about a million other reasons why it won't be the same.

I have shot clays with a 28bore equally as well (or worse) as I have with a 12. If it's pointing in the right direction you'll break them.

Although there is obviously not as much shot, but it's equally as potent.

The key to shooting is put plenty of lead in the air! :D

Cheers

MC

my 13year old son regulary beats me with his franchi 20 , on sporting clays , i think unless you need to shoot something a long way off there is not much difference with most targets or birds , though i wouldn't like to shoot hares and the like with a 20 , andy

I shoot both 20g and 12g at clays, both Beretta 686

I don't feel disadvantaged when shooting the 20g, and sometimes feel quite chuffed at being able to shoot as well as them with a smaller gun, and a smaller load.

I shoot 24gramme loads (or 25) and think that going any bigger than this defeats the object of having a 20g as you just get more recoil with the larger loads.

The only disadvantage was that i noted last week that some of my shot were hitting the distant clays but not breaking them (but this is probably more to do with not getting the majority of the pattern on the clay, and leaving it too late to shoot them.

On others the 20g literally left the clays as clouds of dust....very satisfying. :D

If I am going shooting I either take the 20g or 12g, but not both, and just shoot with that gun all day, so that I don;t get mixed up (as my 20g has got an auto safety on it too, and you have to get used to that).

When i then go with the 12g, all is fine.

I wouldn't recommend taking both calibres anyway as its to easy to mix up the ammo, and BOOOMMM!!!! Not even worth thinking about. They say that this is why girls shoot 20g (so that they can't get a 12g cartridge in the chamber!!) :D sorry girls that was me being mischievous ( i like girls (most) and 20 bores (less))

There are as you say differences in handling and swing, but I like both guns for their own characteristics.

:)

I wasn't thinking of taking them on the same day, -

only trying to work out if the diffrent weight/feel of the two guns (bearing in mind you have two of the same model) would make if tricky to swap from one week to the next.

Do you find for example you are missing the first 4-5 birds with the 20b, until you have your eye in, after using the 12b the day before. When maybe if you were using the 12b you would have nailed them...??

i.e If I go for a lighter / quicker 20b, am I going to struggle for the first 100 or more cartridges to connect.

I don't find any problem at all swapping between them, and quite honestly just take the one I fancy on the day. If its a bit drizzly weather then I always take the 20g as the 12g is mint, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I can't comment on how you are likely to find it, but can provide the analogy of driving different cars. If you can readily swap between them without crunching gearboxes etc then you'll probably be ok swaping guns.

I gave a bloke who shoots a 12g browning a go with the 20g last week and he missed the first few, but then got straight back into it. His comments were, gorgeous to shoot, but more control needed on the swing action.

I think thats a fair comment.

hope this helps.

bindi

Edited by bindi

If you can readily swap between them without crunching gearboxes etc then you'll probably be ok swaping guns.

I think thats a fair comment.

hope this helps.

bindi

Helps alot - thankyou.

I am a service manager for a muti-francise dealer, so regularly swap from Isuzu Trooper to Suzuki Alto to Impreza Turbo to T.V.R s

So quite used to that :D