Filling a PCP

Longy0710

Guys,

Currently looking for ways of filling my BSA Ultra. Do i need to buy an expensive hills/BSA/Webley stirrup pump or will a normal stirrup pump do (i.e one for blowing up car tires etc). They look the same but obviously being new im not exactly sure wether this can be done. Im on a tight budget so this would help.

let me know

Martyn

You need a proper pump thats made for the job , preferable with a moisture trap ( you dont want water inside to ****** up your gun ) Its the only way , you just wont do it with anything else . OR you could look out for a cheap dive bottle , much easier to fill from and about the same price .

:angry: You have another thread running about getting cold feet regarding the purchase of an ultra in the near future: Within five minutes of the other post - this post suggests you already have an Ultra, would you care to enlarge on this?. :hmm: Edited by Dave-G

:angry: You have another thread running about getting cold feet regarding the purchase of an ultra in the near future: Within five minutes of the other post - this post suggests you already have an Ultra, would you care to enlarge on this?. :hmm:

Sorry i worded it wrong, im picking the gun up tomorrow. Just weighing up all the options

Sorry for any confusion

I bought a BSA Ultra a couple of weeks ago :hmm: and then a very cheap secondhand Stirrup pump from Shooting and Fishing of Loughborough.

Jeez was it hard work pumping up the Ultra, and the pump hissed a lot after I filled the gun about 3 times. I really struggled to get it over 150 Bar. So, I took the pump back to the shop as you do..

The shop owner was absolutely brilliant. He stripped the pump down whilst I waited, he replaced a couple of slightly dodgy O rings, Lubed the innards with approved moip :angry: and cleaned out the moisture trap ( didn't need it but as we had it apart...)

Pumping to 200 bar is a doddle now. :hmm:

I can thoroughly recommend Shooting and Fishing on Nottingham Rd Loughborough as great people to deal with, and pumping as not hard to do exercise when the pump works right! Don't think I'd like the effort of filling a bigger tank like a Theoben buddy though! :yes:

Heres a thought for you. If your main dive cylinder is a 10 litre filled to 232 Bar and you use it to fill a .5 Litre buddy bottle ( that is a 20th of the volume of the main tank) the pressure in the main tank drops by a 20th to 220 Bar. Next time it drops to 209 Bar, third time it drops to 199 Bar - and at that point it can't fill your buddy bottle to the required 200 Bar. Max pressure in buddy bottle = pressure in main tank.

I know your buddy bottle isn't half a litre of course and you'll get loads of fills off a dive tank really but the point I'm making is that when your tank drops to below 200 Bar it may not fill your buddy bottle to the pressure your gun wants. So make sure when you get a fill that they do it slowly ( fill fast = hot air and reduced pressure when the fill cools) and that they give you the full 232 Bar. As a SCUBA diver I was used to getting fills varying from 232 bar to (on one occasion) 200 bar.

Ultra owners - don't be lazy buy a put and get a bit fit :yes:

I bought a BSA Ultra a couple of weeks ago :good: and then a very cheap secondhand Stirrup pump from Shooting and Fishing of Loughborough.

Jeez was it hard work pumping up the Ultra, and the pump hissed a lot after I filled the gun about 3 times. I really struggled to get it over 150 Bar. So, I took the pump back to the shop as you do..

The shop owner was absolutely brilliant. He stripped the pump down whilst I waited, he replaced a couple of slightly dodgy O rings, Lubed the innards with approved moip :ernyha: and cleaned out the moisture trap ( didn't need it but as we had it apart...)

Pumping to 200 bar is a doddle now. ???

I can thoroughly recommend Shooting and Fishing on Nottingham Rd Loughborough as great people to deal with, and pumping as not hard to do exercise when the pump works right! Don't think I'd like the effort of filling a bigger tank like a Theoben buddy though! :hmm:

Heres a thought for you. If your main dive cylinder is a 10 litre filled to 232 Bar and you use it to fill a .5 Litre buddy bottle ( that is a 20th of the volume of the main tank) the pressure in the main tank drops by a 20th to 220 Bar. Next time it drops to 209 Bar, third time it drops to 199 Bar - and at that point it can't fill your buddy bottle to the required 200 Bar. Max pressure in buddy bottle = pressure in main tank.

I know your buddy bottle isn't half a litre of course and you'll get loads of fills off a dive tank really but the point I'm making is that when your tank drops to below 200 Bar it may not fill your buddy bottle to the pressure your gun wants. So make sure when you get a fill that they do it slowly ( fill fast = hot air and reduced pressure when the fill cools) and that they give you the full 232 Bar. As a SCUBA diver I was used to getting fills varying from 232 bar to (on one occasion) 200 bar.

Ultra owners - don't be lazy buy a put and get a bit fit :hmm:

i have an ultra and fx pump , i hunt with mine and find it easier to top up with every time i get home from shooting , lets face it if you empty the cylinder when you go out you either need a trailer to carry all you have shot or more practice .if you are target shooting a bottle is a must cos you would spend more time filling than shooting