Problems within Our Sport today

P~MX

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure is & with clay shooters using more lead than anyone else why the hell have we no representation???

Rolo

Because that would mean the CPSA would have to stand up and be counted, then when (and it will be) lead is banned then everyone can give BASC a kicking for failing ALL shooters. As I have said time and time again you cannot fail if you don't try in the first place.

Cat,

I seriously doubt that the CPSA CEO does anywhere near what John Swift does for his salary. How often did you open a magazine which wasn't PULL and see any input from Phil Boakes or the CPSA? Yet you cannot open one at the moment without reading what BASC are doing.

Don't get me wrong I would happily join the CPSA and shoot registered shoots if there were any within a 4 hour round trip of me but there isn't. I am not into skeet or sportrap so Essex doesn't offer anything.

Edited by MC

MC you have touched on one of the main problems within shootin today -- lead shot banning, I'm not getting into that as someone has already been scorned in relation to a Claysporting topic on the subject, But as it such a huge problem why don't the CPSA and BASC get together and fight the fight ? wouldn't they be a stronger force as one group ?

f3

MC you have touched on one of the main problems within shootin today -- lead shot banning, I'm not getting into that as someone has already been scorned in relation to a Claysporting topic on the subject, But as it such a huge problem why don't the CPSA and BASC get together and fight the fight ? wouldn't they be a stronger force as one group ?

f3

The CPSA will be called upon as and when needed.

However, as the main debate at the moment concerns lead levels in shot game and human consumption their input would be of little value.

The CPSA will be called upon as and when needed.

However, as the main debate at the moment concerns lead levels in shot game and human consumption their input would be of little value.

Hmm, I think it's more about lead shot contaminating water courses and the like... :good:

That's why it's been banned over wetlands. :good:

I'm not convinced that ANY of the shooting bodies are doing enough to prevent a total ban on lead shot in the not too distant future, it's already banned on nearly all clay shooting grounds in Holland and Belgium, sadly I think it's only a matter of time over here..??

Cat.

Hmm, I think it's more about lead shot contaminating water courses and the like... :good:

That's why it's been banned over wetlands. :good:

I'm not convinced that ANY of the shooting bodies are doing enough to prevent a total ban on lead shot in the not too distant future, it's already banned on nearly all clay shooting grounds in Holland and Belgium, sadly I think it's only a matter of time over here..??

Cat.

Cat,

The whole debate has come about after the RSPB/WWT sent a letter to govt. calling for a lead shot ban due to lead in shot game being passed through the food chain, affecting wildlife and humans alike. Their main evidence originally stemmed from a US survey which monitered Californian Condor numbers, which declined due to eating the carcasses of shot game and ingesting lead fragments. There is no real evidence in this country to back up the US claims (mainly due to the fact that no studies have been carried out) so they seem to have switched their attack on the use of lead to its impact on human health.

It's all in here.

http://www.leadammunitiongroup.co.uk/index.html

I will agree that not enough is being done to prevent any future ban on lead and the whole process seems to be plodding along with no real direction at the moment.

Have you seen this weeks edition of 'Fieldsports Channel'?

There's a piece on there showing George Digweed using Gamebore steel clay loads. He spends about 5 minutes telling us how good steel is for use on clays. Maybe he knows something we don't? It's my opinion that a lead ban will come into force sooner rather than later, and we're starting to be drip fed information on the alternatives. After all who better to allay any fears of using steel on clays than Mr Digweed?.

http://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/index.php

Starts at 16.15

Well after that little farce the CPSA will have no need to get involved. The greatest clay shooter in the world saying that steel is great for clays, then it is game over for the rest of us.

Doesn't look good does it?

I don't suppose GD uses steel in competition, and as he's sponsored by Gamebore no doubt he has to 'tow the line'. However, I wouldn't mind betting the boys at Gamebore know a little bit more than they're letting on. :good:

Me neither, and who and how will they Police it if lead is banned at clay grounds?

Yep after wild fowl and game banning lead at clay grounds will just be a total ban on lead shot, you could always just buy 100,000 lead carts now and get a jump on the inevitable price rises

Apart from wildfowling there's absolutely need to use steel in this country at the moment (apart from the few who shoot to feed raptors) so don't use it.

Using it now just to save a couple of quid will undoubtedly lead to a quicker banning of lead. As it stands steel is a cheaper alternative to lead but when lead is gone there'll be no alternative and the manufacturers can charge what they like for steel.

Be under no illusion that every time you buy a box of steel cartridges for pigeon/game/clays you're helping the anti lead lobby secure a ban on lead shot.

• 1 month later...

Because that would mean the CPSA would have to stand up and be counted, then when (and it will be) lead is banned then everyone can give BASC a kicking for failing ALL shooters. As I have said time and time again you cannot fail if you don't try in the first place.

Cat,

I seriously doubt that the CPSA CEO does anywhere near what John Swift does for his salary. How often did you open a magazine which wasn't PULL and see any input from Phil Boakes or the CPSA? Yet you cannot open one at the moment without reading what BASC are doing.

Don't get me wrong I would happily join the CPSA and shoot registered shoots if there were any within a 4 hour round trip of me but there isn't. I am not into skeet or sportrap so Essex doesn't offer anything.

With regards to your last comment regarding registered shoots within a 4 hour round trip of your base in Mersea Essex......well assuming your travelling by car or motor cycle & not public transport, you have High Lodge, Mid Norfolk, Barrow Heath, Drinkstone & Sporting Targets....all easily accessable from the A12,A140, A14 & A11..suggest that you check these grounds out !!!!!, we would all like a registered sporting ground within 30mins from home, but ...........we cannot have what we all want all of the time

With regards to your last comment regarding registered shoots within a 4 hour round trip of your base in Mersea Essex......well assuming your travelling by car or motor cycle & not public transport, you have High Lodge, Mid Norfolk, Barrow Heath, Drinkstone & Sporting Targets....all easily accessable from the A12,A140, A14 & A11..suggest that you check these grounds out !!!!!, we would all like a registered sporting ground within 30mins from home, but ...........we cannot have what we all want all of the time

Unless they've moved the borders I don't think any of the above grounds are in Essex. :P