anschutz

telf

I am thinking of buying an anschutz 1517 .17hmr and fancy it with short barrel,they do one with 14"barrel but i have heard the accuracy on these barrels is a bit ify,but my local gunsmith says the oposite (dont know if he s just trying to sell me one).Anyone got one of these or had any experience with them cheers

The accuracy is ****, everybody told me the same thing as well, always the same isn't it. Lol

Mine shoots fine and always has, even at 200 yards if I do my bit the rabbits fall over, and guess what.

Everybody said the short barrel would stop the humble HMR from working properly.

Hornady claim 2550-fps for their hmr ammo, mine has only been shot over a crono once, it had at the time fired 4K rounds, it still managed to average 2545-fps for a ten shot string.

The other claim was the hmr barrel would be burned out in a few thousand rounds, mine is now well over 8k and still shooting very accurately.

Neil.

the 14 inch annie was never ment to be made. they had a big batch of 14 inch barrels i heard from some other site and chambered some for the hmr instead of having lots in stock.

18 inch is the normal annie hmr length ive heard bad things about the 14 inch barrel but then have heard some people say there fine when they had them.

guess you just take your pick thats all you can do. myself i had the 18 inch barrel with over barrel dm80 mod. that was more then compact for shooting from the 4x4 window.

Edited by jamie g

you ring the annie importer in this country and ask him he will tell you

He can tell me whatever he likes, I still won't believe him, same as I don't believe any other importer who tells me things he wants to tell me, rather than tell the truth, which may cost him a sale.

As a point of interest, when I bought my 1517 the importers rep for my area told me the very best price was £750, I went out the next day and bought a brand new one for £540

The only difference between his and mine, it didn't get imported by the official importer.

As for the wrong length blanks, a barrel blank has a pre-drilled hole through the middle for the mandrel to fit, .17 and .22 mandrels don't fit in the same size hole.

Had the supplier sent the wrong blanks to Anschutz they would just have been returned and not paid for, not just used, also a new shorter mandrel would have been needed to form these short blanks, a large expense for a short run of incorrectly supplied blanks.

Neil.

He can tell me whatever he likes, I still won't believe him, same as I don't believe any other importer who tells me things he wants to tell me, rather than tell the truth, which may cost him a sale.

As a point of interest, when I bought my 1517 the importers rep for my area told me the very best price was £750, I went out the next day and bought a brand new one for £540

The only difference between his and mine, it didn't get imported by the official importer.

As for the wrong length blanks, a barrel blank has a pre-drilled hole through the middle for the mandrel to fit, .17 and .22 mandrels don't fit in the same size hole.

Had the supplier sent the wrong blanks to Anschutz they would just have been returned and not paid for, not just used, also a new shorter mandrel would have been needed to form these short blanks, a large expense for a short run of incorrectly supplied blanks.

Neil.

well im telling you what i heard. it makes no odds to me if its true or not as you dont work for the importer or Anschutz i guess you or i or anyone else for that matter will never no

Edited by jamie g

Neil.

well im telling you what i heard. it makes no odds to me if its true or not as you dont work for the importer or Anschutz i guess you or i or anyone else for that matter will never no

Who knows is right! :hmm:

Does sound a bit like one of those stories that floats around.......... and just how many of these "short" barrels did Anschutz have as they still appear on Catalogue? :stupid:

Anyway, mixed opinions but lets be realistic, if you buy an Anschutz and it doesn't shoot straight you take it back don't you! :hmm:

Who knows is right! :hmm:

Does sound a bit like one of those stories that floats around.......... and just how many of these "short" barrels did Anschutz have as they still appear on Catalogue? :stupid:

Anyway, mixed opinions but lets be realistic, if you buy an Anschutz and it doesn't shoot straight you take it back don't you! :hmm:

thanks for all the replys everybody,some difference of opinion,but just to let you know what i have found out.Phoned frank dyke tonight and this is roughly what he told me.anschutz were making 14" barrels for the.22 and somehow altered the bore setting but not the length setting of the barrel,therefor 100 .17hmr barrels were made,when they were tested it was found that the accuracy was NOT AS GOOD and it was alot LOUDER than the 18" barrels,it was decided allegidley not to make the barrels for the english market but for some other foreign market.Dykes have not imported them for about a year now and any that you can get over here are what he called grey imports.Hope this settles the matter a bit,as i think what everybody has said was right somewhere along the line.Just to put another cat amongst the pigeons what scope would everybody recomend for the HMR ,was going to geta buushnell 2.5-16x50 but was told didn t need a/o or such a high mag,so then looked at zeiss 3-12x50 but price put me off,then looked at zeiss 3-9x50(imported),still thinking about that one or a leopold.Plus do i need a/o on the scope or not.Any help would be appreciated thanks

thanks for all the replys everybody,some difference of opinion,but just to let you know what i have found out.Phoned frank dyke tonight and this is roughly what he told me.anschutz were making 14" barrels for the.22 and somehow altered the bore setting but not the length setting of the barrel,therefor 100 .17hmr barrels were made,when they were tested it was found that the accuracy was NOT AS GOOD and it was alot LOUDER than the 18" barrels,it was decided allegidley not to make the barrels for the english market but for some other foreign market.Dykes have not imported them for about a year now and any that you can get over here are what he called grey imports.Hope this settles the matter a bit,as i think what everybody has said was right somewhere along the line.Just to put another cat amongst the pigeons what scope would everybody recomend for the HMR ,was going to geta buushnell 2.5-16x50 but was told didn t need a/o or such a high mag,so then looked at zeiss 3-12x50 but price put me off,then looked at zeiss 3-9x50(imported),still thinking about that one or a leopold.Plus do i need a/o on the scope or not.Any help would be appreciated thanks

If you can afford it get the Zeiss, otherwise buy a Leupold. I wouldn't personally buy a Bushnell as I think their warranty is rubbish. a/o is nice but not essential provided you keep your head in the same place every time. On a 9x scope it isn't necessary in my view. When you get to say 14x and above it becomes more critical.

If you can afford it get the Zeiss, otherwise buy a Leupold. I wouldn't personally buy a Bushnell as I think their warranty is rubbish. a/o is nice but not essential provided you keep your head in the same place every time. On a 9x scope it isn't necessary in my view. When you get to say 14x and above it becomes more critical.

thanks,if the zeiss is parallex free at 100 yds and im shooting say 150yds do i not need a/o to focus in on the target or am i totally wrong,i do fancy the zeiss more than the leopold but it will be the 3-9x50 due to the price but am unsure of the above(parrallex,-a/o etc)

thanks,if the zeiss is parallex free at 100 yds and im shooting say 150yds do i not need a/o to focus in on the target or am i totally wrong,i do fancy the zeiss more than the leopold but it will be the 3-9x50 due to the price but am unsure of the above(parrallex,-a/o etc)

mate i can leave my both the zeiss conquest and victory on 100 yards and still shoot foxes to 200 yards with 222 or 22/250 with out having to move the px up to 200. the reason being the glass is superb.

the only time i would have to change the px setting on to 200 yards if shooting at 200 yards is if i had the mag up full on both scopes.

Edited by jamie g

mate i can leave my both the zeiss conquest and victory on 100 yards and still shoot foxes to 200 yards with 222 or 22/250 with out having to move the px up to 200. the reason being the glass is superb.

the only time i would have to change the px setting on to 200 yards if shooting at 200 yards is if i had the mag up full on both scopes.

For those fortunate enough to still be able to see I agree, bear in mind us old duffers whose eyes are not what they were and rely on technology to help us out! :oops: