Question for any plumbers out there???

Marley29

Hi,

Just a question for any plumbers out there or people that may have had the problem before. When I flush the toilet there is a very loud huming/vibrating noise which is made even worse if you turn on any of the taps.

Its been happening for a couple of weeks now and I want to find out whats causing it, in order to sort it out.

Once the toilet has filled up with water again it stops. I'm guessing its to do with pressure or something :blink:

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance,

Mick

It will be your ball valve. You may have one of the old ball and arm types or one of the newer quick fill types, something like torbek or hush flow. I generally replace them as it tends not to be worth faffing about with parts.

Try taking the lid off the cistern and instigating the noise with taps then try lifting the arm/float to see if it stops it.

Edited by Doc Holliday

It will be your ball valve. You may have one of the old ball and arm types or one of the newer quick fill types, something like torbek or hush flow. I generally replace them as it tends not to be worth faffing about with parts.

Try taking the lid off the cistern and instigating the noise with taps then try lifting the arm/float to see if it stops it.

I have just taken the lid of the cistern and faffed with the ball and arm and it has stopped making the noise. It may start up again but for the time being you have saved me a few quid :lol:

Many thanks for the advice :blink: :lol::lol:

This forum is so useful

Its called Pipe Hammer...probably caused by the clocks going back... :good:

I'm a qualified plumber, so I know best :good:

Really it's usually caused my a valve (Sink tap, WC etc.) 'slamming' shut and sending a shock wave into the pipe which then resonates and makes a racket. An air pocket will actually damp it out, not cause it!

Not just noisy but can break weak joints as well, so must be sorted asap, if it keeps happening change the WC ball valve, as you have identified it as the culprit, if it gets worse you may have to fit a hammer arrestor, basically an air pocket that damps the shock down.

Another source is often a new washing machine or dishwasher, as the valves are very strong :blink:

:blink: :good: :good:

Some great answers there boys and doc i will bet it's not a torbek or hush flow :oops:

What care you to wager, Sir? I have known those hydro flow (sorry, not hush flow but then I do have man flu) to be troublesome in that department although they are usually more reliable than the old arm and float type.

They usually do emit a kind of high pitched whining noise. Something similar to when you switch off listening to the Mrs but you still hear her, if you know what I mean (don't tell her I said so) :good:

Ah ha! Then you haven't experienced them whining when starting to fill. They'll do that sometimes, sincerely :good: The "Clunk" is normally alleviated with the little corkscrew thingy they give you with them (assuming it hasn't fallen out of the packaging).

I'm off home now as I'm feeling the need to try & treat my man flue with some decent whisky (and copiously).

Ah ha! Then you haven't experienced them whining when starting to fill. They'll do that sometimes, sincerely :good: The "Clunk" is normally alleviated with the little corkscrew thingy they give you with them (assuming it hasn't fallen out of the packaging).

I'm off home now as I'm feeling the need to try & treat my man flue with some decent whisky (and copiously).

Yep i have on the torbeck but that's normally **** in the filter :good:

Sod it all cannot be ***** any more i do this all day :blink:

Hi,

Just a question for any plumbers out there or people that may have had the problem before. When I flush the toilet there is a very loud huming/vibrating noise which is made even worse if you turn on any of the taps.

Its been happening for a couple of weeks now and I want to find out whats causing it, in order to sort it out.

Once the toilet has filled up with water again it stops. I'm guessing its to do with pressure or something :good:

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance,

Mick

First step check that tap and ballvalve washers are in good shape, a split washer can create water hammer. Next look for any pipes which are loose near the appliances and clip them up. Good luck.

Blackpowder