SMK scopes?

demonwolf444

over the years i have had a few smk scopes, from my experience, if you get a good one, get it set up slowly and properly and sight in they are pretty darn good. I know there will be haters out there, my first ever scope was an smk on an smk air rifle , which i still keep, i have had it for many years but recently had a new spring put in it and once re zero'd the 4x32 scope was still immense. For a 60 quid air rifle i can get inch groups at about 25 yards, and with the new spring and with some heavyer pellets, ill tell you, its a mean squizzerr tool :good:, next after a hundreds or extremely cheep scopes on an ancient but powerfull .22 springer i bought a 3-9x40 and it was terrible it wouldnt hold zero and was useless, whats more smk said it was customer fault, it wasnt, the shop keeper from whom i bought the scope gave me another for free ( great guy, but he gets allot of custom of me from pellets) ive had it sighted for a while but it is now sighted for roughly 50 yards, and is my primary rabbit tool, its an old rifle and the rifleing is warn and the the groupings never get tighter than about an inch and a half. recently a friend gave me another air rifle, he swears he has taken rabbits at 60-65 yards with it, so i have, after seeing the differences a large obj makes in low light , i bought a 3-9x50, ill be sighting it in, hopefully for 60-70 yards as long as there is enough adjustment, ill post how i get on, i can see why people shooting fac air rifles and rimfires would want decent scopes, but with all my air rifles, its Been SMK all the way, we will see how this one turns out!!

MY LOG THIS YEAR:

2 Squirrels

6 Pigeons

1 Hare

7 Rabbits

3 Greylag

2 Ducks

just waiting to start on the partridge and pheasant!

Trying to go hunting, but they made that illegal didnt they.

MY LOG THIS YEAR:

2 Squirrels

6 Pigeons

1 Hare

7 Rabbits

3 Greylag

2 Ducks

Geese with a sub 12 ft/lb?:blink:??

Hunting illegal? Nobody told me.

yeah at 70 yards :good: with a springer too

over the years i have had a few smk scopes, from my experience, if you get a good one, get it set up slowly and properly and sight in they are pretty darn good. I know there will be haters out there, my first ever scope was an smk on an smk air rifle , which i still keep, i have had it for many years but recently had a new spring put in it and once re zero'd the 4x32 scope was still immense. For a 60 quid air rifle i can get inch groups at about 25 yards, and with the new spring and with some heavyer pellets, ill tell you, its a mean squizzerr tool :good:, next after a hundreds or extremely cheep scopes on an ancient but powerfull .22 springer i bought a 3-9x40 and it was terrible it wouldnt hold zero and was useless, whats more smk said it was customer fault, it wasnt, the shop keeper from whom i bought the scope gave me another for free ( great guy, but he gets allot of custom of me from pellets) ive had it sighted for a while but it is now sighted for roughly 50 yards, and is my primary rabbit tool, its an old rifle and the rifleing is warn and the the groupings never get tighter than about an inch and a half. recently a friend gave me another air rifle, he swears he has taken rabbits at 60-65 yards with it, so i have, after seeing the differences a large obj makes in low light , i bought a 3-9x50, ill be sighting it in, hopefully for 60-70 yards as long as there is enough adjustment, ill post how i get on, i can see why people shooting fac air rifles and rimfires would want decent scopes, but with all my air rifles, its Been SMK all the way, we will see how this one turns out!!

MY LOG THIS YEAR:

2 Squirrels

6 Pigeons

1 Hare

7 Rabbits

3 Greylag

2 Ducks

This must surely be a wind up or some one trolling ??

65- 70 yards with a spring powered rifle ...... seriously , who are you lee harvey oswald !!

Hare ?

Geese ?

We dont need bull like this on the site .

And what is your post actually about , i cant tell if your praising or condeming SMK scopes .

65- 70 yards with a spring powered rifle ...... seriously , who are you lee harvey oswald !!

Hare ?

Geese ?

And what is your post actually about , i cant tell if your praising or condeming SMK scopes .

i think he might work for them :good: or salesman :blink:

Hare ?

Geese ?

I think this post is about showing that the OP is capable of telling the tallest story of the month cos in my opinion it certainly aint factual! :good: :blink: :good::good::oops:

I think this post is about showing that the OP is capable of telling the tallest story of the month cos in my opinion it certainly aint factual! :good: :blink: :good::good::oops:
you are joking arnt you i was about to put my rapid for a smk :hmm: its november the 1st not april the 1st

it should be said, of course i dont take grey lag ect with a air gun. i am often invited shooting and during the season, wildfowing and game shooting with shotguns, i go with a farmer who i work for. and some of the stuff in the log for this year was with a rimfire when i spent a day with some of the other guyys who work on the farm! and i never shoot game at 70 yards i just find that nocking over cans at long range is more fun, and as i said i have , my self never taken any rabbits with this new one but te guy that gave it to me reckons he had had two of three lucky shots at 60-70 yards..the post was purely saying SMK are not as bad as some reviews make out! and by hunting i mean on horseback , following the scent isnt as good fun !

• 8 years later...

I bought an SMK 4X28 scope and it is rubbish.  I am only slightly short-sighted (only -2.00 in each eye) so to get focus on 15 to 20 metres or so I have to screw out the eyepiece so that it is on the very last threads.  The threads are shallow and rubbish and the eyepiece is losse and wobbly unless it is screwed in deeply - which prevents focus for anyone like me.  This was a brand new scope so I am miffed.

I like smk scopes, I mean I like them as I often get given them and then I sell them on ebay 😉 

I can clearly remember my first scope was a smk 4x28 when I was 14 on my smk b45-3 .22. In all fairness it done its job, it broke after about 2 months of me being a ungrateful teenager and abusing it. From that point on I had a few more, nothing special, had a 4-12x42 on my brno for a few years without any trouble. Can't say what modern ones are like, but can't be much off what jsr bottom sell, and some of them are OK for cheap chinese stuff. Now id always now buy a secondhand hawke than a new smk. 

This was a funny resurrection of a thread. Hilarious comments 

Problem seems to be,S Kewitsch, that your eyesight is more likely causing the problem - if you need to screw out the eyepiece that far then it can hardly be the scopes fault? At the end of the day you will not find SMK scopes being used by top FT shooters and there's a very good reason for that - they are primarily aimed at the real budget end of the market . I,like strimmer, always try and buy used scopes - for under £50 you can pick up a some very reasonable glass - not a Hawke fan, I prefer Nikko Stirling myself.