barrel shortening

remmy1100

bought a old sidelock bruno o/u a while back for £25 thing is the barrells are very tight ive been told.719 which is between a 12g and 13g and its fixed chokes which are no good for a pigeon gun so im thinking of chopping the barrell to remove choking how small can i chop it within reason the barrel is 27 1/2 " .is it also correct to measure from rear of chambers.thanks for any help

Whoa !!!!!! hold on Remmy, before you go choppin’ the barrels down get someone to measure the muzzles. Because regardless of what the bore measurement is if they are in the region of .699 -.709, then they will still only be ¼ - ½ choked, and will be just as efficient as a nominal .729 bore with the same choking ???

G.M.

If you had the muzzles screw-cut to accept choke tubes, then you must have the gun re-proofed due to the fact that you will be deemed to have weakened the barrels. The same applies to rifles. However if you simply shorten a rifle, then you are NOT deemed to have weakened the barrel, and as such it doesn’t have to be re-proofed. I think that this applies to shotguns as well, but make sure.

Anything below 610mm is illegal without a section 1

G.M.

If you had the muzzles screw-cut to accept choke tubes, then you must have the gun re-proofed due to the fact that you will be deemed to have weakened the barrels. The same applies to rifles.

Gm

Correct me if i'm wrong but is it a legal requirement to have the barrel of a rifle re proofed after threading to fit a Sound Moderator ......If your intending to keep it and NOT sell it on that is . :blink:

Ive

If you had the muzzles screw-cut to accept choke tubes, then you must have the gun re-proofed due to the fact that you will be deemed to have weakened the barrels. The same applies to rifles.

Gm

Correct me if i'm wrong but is it a legal requirement to have the barrel of a rifle re proofed after threading to fit a Sound Moderator ......If your intending to keep it and NOT sell it on that is . :blink:

Ive

I have been told by my FLO that you don't need to proof your rifle after threading!Nor do you have to have it proofed prior to selling!!!!

All you have to do is point out to the potential buyer that the work has been carried out and as long the work was carried out by a RFD, and as long as he/she is happy with that then a sale can legaly be made .

The proof myth is aparantly laid on us by RFD'S trying to make a fast buck and the proof house keeping themselves in work!!!

But on the side of safety and caution, if in doubt proof is always a good idea!!

Ive

No not a legal requirement unless you intend to sell it. Then you MUST have it re-proofed due to the fact that it is an offence to sell a gun that is out of proof regardless of what anyone may tell you.

The law is very clear on the selling of guns and it states quite clearly that anyone selling a gun that is out of proof is committing a criminal act. Owning a gun that has not been proofed is not a crime and only becomes one when you try to sell it.

G.M.

In the conversation with my FLO his reasoning was that that grey area below is what causes the confusion

the requirement to submit a barrel for re-proof only arises if the barrel has been "unduly reduced in Substance or Strength".

Thus his argument was that;

if you were to take a bog standard average tappered barrel and shortern it chances are that the point at which it was cut and threaded is still of a more substance than the orginal end of the barrel.

So how has it been "unduly reduced in Substance or Strength".

I must point out that he is now my ex FLO !!!

Also don't shoot the messenger!!! :D

Conversion of Barrels and the Fitting of

Muzzle Accessories

"The British Proof Authority wish to clarify the proof status of small arms converted to accept muzzle attachments and the proof requirements of the attachment.

The following advice applies to cartridge operated small arms of all calibres, not including air weapons and their accessories.

The Trade and the public are advised that the barrels of small arms fitted with sound moderators, screw in choke tubes, muzzle brakes, etc. require to be proof tested. In addition any barrel of any small arm previously proved but subsequently converted by a manufacturing process, resulting in a reduction in substance or strength, to accept the fitting of sound moderators, screw in choke tubes, muzzle brakes, etc., will require the arms to be reproved. This advice also applies to any alteration to the internal dimensions of the barrel affecting bore size or chamber lengths in excess of permitted tolerances.

Muzzle attachments through which any part of the charge would be exploded or discharged form part of the barrel and also require to be proof tested and marked accordingly."

I know it's bullsh!t and so do they, but it's they who call the shots I'm afraid. :D

G.M.

Seems to be that screw-cutting reduces barrel thickness, shortening doesn't.

All I'm aware of (according to Hampshire and presumably everywhere else?) is that if I get a Mod fitted to my centrefire rifle (involves screw cutting) I don't need it proofed unless I want to sell it on afterwards at some point, then it must be proofed to meet with the law, regardless of whether my buyer is worried about having it proofed or not, that doesn't come into it.

If you shorten the barrel say on a .22LR from 22" down to the more modern "carbine" lengths then I don't believe it needs re-proofing as you haven't reduced the tube-wall thickness and therefore the strength is unaffected. .22's really only need about 13" of barrel after the chamber to get the job done properly, anything over that I understand, is fairly superfluous.

You'd want to be more judicious on a centrefire though, however I still don't think shortening by a small amount will alter the barrel strength or integrity therefore again no re-proofing required.