.22lr ricochet

gibby

Hiya

The old 22 is a fairly slow round in the world of rifle bullets especially the subsonic types. Couple this to a design that has been around for absolutely years i.e a solid lump of fairly soft lead it doesn't fragment like the high velocity jacketed type bullets, more like deforms on impact and skips merrily away into the yonder. I suppose distance travelled is dependant on the angle of deflection after the bullet has skimmed the ground, some types of ground being more prone than others i.e flinty/stone as against soft earth.

I've even had a 'richochet' off of a rabbits bonce even though it passed through, but screamed away with the classic noise!

Cheers John

Why are .22lr more prone to ricochets? What sort of distance will a ricochet go for?

Gibby

Just to summerise the above A Large Lump of lead with not enough velocity behind it .

I've had them riccochet off wet grass before .......And lying prone off a bi-pod with the cross air firmly locked on to the target :blink: .......It happens to the best of us

Allow for them travelling up to a Mile EVEN after the initial deflection :blink:

Ive :blink:

I can't help with how far they travel but we shoot over a grass meadow with a straw barn on one side with corrugated metal sides and when its full of straw the landowner who shoots with us likes to use it as a backstop :D we've had countless ricochets off the meadow hit it but have never found a dent or hole despite looking very carefully, so its possible they have less power than you think, not something I'd like to test but just an observation. Its the big reason I got the HMR the ricochets from the 22Lr scared the **** out of me

as with caplock above , i've had a ricochet after hitting a rabbit in the head , i heard the whizz and saw the dust when it landed about 250yrds behind it in a field after traveling through a low hedge , i was shooting from a high grass bank down into a paddock , you couldn't have got a safer backstop if you wanted one , it just goes to show how carefull you need to be with a .22 rimmie.

I remember a legal case many years ago when a guy was shooting starlings with a 'borrowed' rimmy.

A shot ricochet off a cast iron gutter, and hit a girl on a horse right through the forehead.

Sorry if my memory is not quite what it was, but I think that she was almost a quarter of a mile away. She died.

As a result of this whenever I hear a ricochet when I am out potting bunnies I always shiver....

Don

"so its possible they have less power than you think"

Would have to disagree completly, theres a couple of old bangers sittung in a paintball site where i shoot, and shot at an Austin metro and it went straight through the panel, got tons more respect for them now having seen that.

P.S. It was a safe shot

Gibby

I see, :*)

Still needs all the respect that can be given.

Can you fire super sonics through a silencer?

Will it in anyway affect the silencer?

Gibby

respect indeed, the speed will bleed off rapidly as the aerodynamics of the projectile have now been compromised, that being said its still bloody dangerous.

yes you can fire super sonics through a silencer, yes it will effect it, the baffles will clog or burn faster.

my question to you would be WHY do you want to :D?:look:?? the whole point is to silence the round not advertise its coming .

Martin

wanted to know if i could put a couple of shots down it for charlie?

Gibby

Got a Feeling this whole debate about Rimmies and Foxes is going to kick off again :D

I would say you need alot more experience first ..........Charlie Fox deserves better .

As a Rule of thumb a .22 Hornet is probably the minimum although the .17 hmr close in is good apparently

Ive

There is no need to

take silencer off resight and all that

- leave the silencer on. It won't have that much effect (but it will be quiter than without it) but you won't have to re-sight the gun.

You need to experiment though - super sonics have a different point of impact.

If your rifle is zeroed at 75 yards for subs, the rounds will probably hit in the same place on the target at about 110-120 yards - but try a few first.

B

If you only want to put the occasional shot down the barrel for the odd fox then it would be no problem to lave the moderator on. You will need to set up a target at @ 30yds and see where the shots go when you shoot subs and then change to HV.

One other thing to remember is that a lot of sub-sonic ammo’ (Eley –Winchester) is usually lead with graphite coating for a lubricant.

Most HV rounds are copper washed and as such will shoot to a different POI for a few shots before the graphite is shot out and the copper takes over. Then once you go back to the lead bullets they will again shoot to a different POI until they shoot back in.

I’m getting a headache again. :D

G.M.

Going back to the post about the guys who may have ricocheted of a gutter while shooting starlings and killed a girled 1/4 mile away.

Two things I would say here are:

1. The route of the problem was he was shooting into the air with a .22 rimmy :<

2. Maybe it didnt ricochet? just a direct hit from missing the bird or it may have gone through it?

Like already said, the contact b4 the ricochet will damage the projectile and this will slow it down and reduce the distance, but could still kill.

Here one I would like clarified. The first time I every shot a .22lr (about 25-30 yrs ago) I didnt think of the ricochet and shot it up a river it hit the water and took off, may still be going :*) I know guys but I am honest :D

Here the question, would the water damage the projectile?? :D