Free virus protection

Fatcatsplat

My computer says i have some horrible viruses to kill and the nice people at mcafee and norton can help but want money to sort them out for me - i'm happy to do this, but do not want to enter my financial details into the computer right now just in case they get copied or whatever by the nasty bugs that i have - can anyone recommend a nice free download that can sort me out in the interim please?

the mcafee and norton bits that keep saying please renew your subscription which i hadn't - ho hum!!!

thanks lads

I doubt you'll actually have a virus and it's not like McA or Norton to say you've got one, just because your subscription ran out.

Usually it's an application which pretends to be a virus scanner, telling you that you have a terrible computer threatening virus and that you need to buy their software to get rid of it, when there's no virus at all.

Whilst you're downloading AVG, search for AdAware and download their free software. It'll make sure your computer is ridden of Spyware, which I can guarantee you will have on your machine.

Whilst you're downloading AVG, search for AdAware

Tut, tut, we wont tell Mrs FCS what a mucky boy you have been :good:

As per Billy above, I have both on all my home and work PC's. Mung introduced me a few years ago to doing regular Windows updates, running C Cleaner and regular defrags of my hard drive too.

Another vote for AVG - been using it for 8 years and I've been virus free all of them.

Best anti-virus in the world? Jus be careful about what you download really.

trouble is viruses are about in surprisingly innocent web sites the last trojan that I got which was key logger asking me to pay for security update which fortunately I did not click on or try to close was spotted but not stopped (avg shifted it but took half my start up files with it?) was obtained from a site promoting river trips in memphis not your usual snow white and the seven big lads sites.

I got rid of avg and paid for nod32 to now it seems worth every penny .

KW

I've tried Malaware, AVG, Adaware plus a few others, plus I had a paid for Webroot Spysweeper that I've now cancelled, as my laptop has got a virus thing I cannot shift!

Every time I google an address or even just open this site, I get redirected to loads of different sites, such as AskJeeves, Amazon, Ebay and other search sites, some of which cannot be removed and I have to close the internet and start again..its Pi@@@@g me off royal now, I nearly threw the laptop at the wall yesterday..really :good:

How do I get rid pleeesss :)

trouble is viruses are about in surprisingly innocent web sites the last trojan that I got which was key logger asking me to pay for security update which fortunately I did not click on or try to close was spotted but not stopped (avg shifted it but took half my start up files with it?) was obtained from a site promoting river trips in memphis not your usual snow white and the seven big lads sites.

I got rid of avg and paid for nod32 to now it seems worth every penny .

KW

My mouse-clicking finger's also my trigger finger: I've got it trained never to click or squeeze unless I'm 100% certain :)

nod32's a good one - light on the system as is Avast! - but it costs money...

Norton & McAfee are just bloatware, bundled with a pile of crappy add-on's. Total resource hogs :good:

I've tried Malaware, AVG, Adaware plus a few others, plus I had a paid for Webroot Spysweeper that I've now cancelled, as my laptop has got a virus thing I cannot shift!

Every time I google an address or even just open this site, I get redirected to loads of different sites, such as AskJeeves, Amazon, Ebay and other search sites, some of which cannot be removed and I have to close the internet and start again..its Pi@@@@g me off royal now, I nearly threw the laptop at the wall yesterday..really :good:

How do I get rid pleeesss :good:

Time to change your browser.

firefox.com

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

http://www.google.com/chrome

Time to change your browser.

firefox.com

http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

http://www.google.com/chrome

Sorry, forget changing your browser...it attacks all of them, jumps from one to another....it attacks your PC, and gets onto all browsers...:good:

Go here as I did, http://www.myantispyware.com/2008/11/05/ho...trojan-tdsserv/

Follow the info, download the TDSS removal software, and hey presto...all gone...

It's actually Kaspersky that does the "hit"...very good too,.

This is the bit you want...

Use the following instructions to remove TDSS, Backdoor.Tidserv, Alureon trojan.

Download TDSSKiller from here and unzip to your desktop.

Any probs, PM me..I'll try and help you through it..I know how annoying that redirect is...:good: