Tail docking ban

henry d

Well, the f"%^$&g morons at the Wee, Pretendy Parliament look like introducing banning on docking with no exemptions, completely ignoring representations from various bodies. Snippet from Shooting Times-

'We proposed initially to exempt working dogs from the ban. However, we have been persuaded by the evidence provided that this exemption is not necessary and I intend to prohibit the tail docking of dogs.'

With these words Scotland's rural affairs Minister, Ross Finnie, last Thursday announced the introduction of the Animal Health and Welfare Bill.

Colin Sheddon from BASC Scotland said that over coming months, his association and others will be doing everything they can to persuade MSPs of the welfare benefits of docking.

Ironically, one difficulty of proving the welfare need lies in the fact that the vast majority of UK dogs from traditionally docked breeds are already docked to prevent tail damage. Hence there is little scientific evidence backing the argument, other than established practice.

Edited by Piebob

Well, the f"%^$&g morons at the Wee, Pretendy Parliament

Piebob,

I take it you don't like your elected government :sly:

I have sent my card to my MP and he has replied saying that in the cases of gundogs he will be campaigning for docking to continue but against it for "cosmetic purposes"

Which I have to say I fully agree with, Why should anyone dock a tail of a animal just so it looks better?

Cheers

MC

PS He is also a tory LB

Well, the f"%^$&g morons at the Wee, Pretendy Parliament

Piebob,

I take it you don't like your elected government :thumbs:

I have sent my card to my MP and he has replied saying that in the cases of gundogs he will be campaigning for docking to continue but against it for "cosmetic purposes"

Which I have to say I fully agree with, Why should anyone dock a tail of a animal just so it looks better?

Cheers

MC

PS He is also a tory LB

Martin,

I find this hard to believe myself but it did happen.

This morning while I was driven down to Deal for some deacoying with Bigdev, I saw my MP, the hon. Roger gale :sly:

Having been involved in a road rage incident 10 minutes before I thought I would let off a little steam, help keep the blood pressure down, so I let him know what I thought of him, very loudly :blink:

Surprisingly enough the smug **** didn't respond.

But he is a 'member' of parliament so I shpuldn't have been surprised.

Lazy, overpaid ******.

LB

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2078651,00.html

Check the link to today's Times. Possible developments on an exemption for working dogs?

From the article.....I'm going to make a fortune getting other peoples dogs tails docked using my shottie licence :):lol::D Can't see why a docked dog can't "take part in competition dog shows where members of the public pay an entrance fee" Typical of the poorly though out, wordy, inarticulate, unworkable legislation we face in this country these days.

When will they sort out the real issues and leave us field sports people alone !!!!

"A veterinary surgeon must certify that the dog is a working animal — owners may have to produce a firearms licence, for example. The docking must occur before the dog is five days old and no animal with a docked tail may take part in competition dog shows where members of the public pay an entrance fee".

Like many others I mailed the BASC card to my MP. A short while later I received a post card aknowkedging my correspondence.

I received in yesterdays post two letters, one from the MP, and one from Ben Bradshaw at DEFRA. Both use many words to say little, but the bottom line seems to be that their minds are made up to ban!

If a ban on tail docking is imposed, I wonder if it will later impact on the activities of farmers who tail dock lambs, and castrate lambs and cattle.

Some religious groups circumsise their male babies, or jouveniles, can this also be allowed to continue?

webber

"A veterinary surgeon must certify that the dog is a working animal — owners may have to produce a firearms licence, for example. The docking must occur before the dog is five days old and no animal with a docked tail may take part in competition dog shows where members of the public pay an entrance fee".

How exactly is a Vet to know when a dog is less than 5 days old wether it will work or not,

What a Crock of ****

I must congratulate the RSPCA and the LACS and whatever other organisations are involved in this proposed legislation on a job well done. ******G W******

We all have animal welfare at heart because this is why dogs are docked.

Cheers

MC

People will revert to docking their own dogs tails, who is ever going to enforce stupid legislation like this while morons wander the streets with handguns shooting anything that moves ?.

In some ways as far as petty legislation goes the more the merrier as it just ain't going to be possible for them to police and enforce it.

One of the dog training books I got even has notes on how to do it ! The author claiming to have docked the tails of very young pups while they were sleeping and they didn't even wake up during the process.