Tree surgey/ aboricultue help pls

tabs

Morning gents,

are there any Tree surgeons or aboriculturists on here who could give any guidance on taming some large (up to 35ft +) and unkempt apple trees.

How hard can I cut back without killing and avoiding too much shooting growth next year?

Thanks

J

all depends how much you want to keep the trees, knocking off 25% of the branch length should be safe over the canopy not to kill them and you could go harder if you don't care too much about the tree and will probably be fine. Partly depends whether you want apples from them next year or not, personally when apple trees get to that size they aren't up to much and often better to selectively remove at the base and re plant

Be very careful. Cutting mature apple trees is a sure way to wreck them if you don't know what you're doing. I do gardening work and I tend to step back and let the degree holding arb guys do that kind of thing. It's quite an art to do well. :oops:

You could cut it to the floor and it wouldn't die. It would look naff though!

Thanks for the replies guys,

I think I will follow the advice of getting a pro in, they are very old trees, would be a crime to ruin them, the village elders would string me up if I removed them also!

Will keep you in mind should there be any surplus Zapp, would it be for turning?

J

Thanks for the replies guys,

I think I will follow the advice of getting a pro in, they are very old trees, would be a crime to ruin them, the village elders would string me up if I removed them also!

Will keep you in mind should there be any surplus Zapp, would it be for turning?

J

are you a hobbit??? :blush::blush::good:

Les :hmm: