mince rabit

black hat

first can i intruduce myself 30 something airgunner/newbie shotgunner kent

i have just picked up a mincer to make some bunny burgers but am i not doing it right ,i've been stripping meat from bunny fresh (befor cooking )but there seems to be so much waiste .should i be cooking first???? as my way of thinkings was that once cooked it could not be frozen then cooked again.

help would be greatfull recieved

wayne

I personally wouldn't have any trouble cooking then freezing the meat as it is for the dogs but there are people on here that know a lot more than me so I expect to be shot down.

What problem are you having with mincing the scut tail mate?

And welcome on board mate ??? I am near to Canterbury where are you?

LB

Welcome on board mate. I have only done Bunny burgers once before which turned out ok I guess, well most of them were eaten at the BBQ. :thumbs: Ask Snakebite he took the remaining uncooked burgers home.

Anyway, from my experiance I don't reckon i'll be doing it again for a while as it was very labout intensive. So it would be good to here from others on this too.

Method I used was to joint the rabbit first using a good quality sharp knife. Cutting the two hind legs at the hip joint two leave the saddle which was then cut free from the spinal joint then cut the rib cage from the front legs which in turn were jointed down the middle. Then using a very sharp paring knife I set about cutting the meat free, keep ing as close to the bone as possible. As you mincing anyway, it doesnt matter how the meat comes off. Out of choice I tried to cut away as many tendons as possible but this too was a pain. Two rabbits took me an hour and a half.

Best tip I was given for getting the meat off a Rabbit was from a head chef at my local watering hole. His method is to bring to the boil a large pan of water and drop jointed Rabbit into it. Then bring back to the boil and reduce to simmer for 3 hours. You could if you want flavour the water with a couple of quarted onions, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, Cloves, Garlic, etc or anything that takes your fancy. Once cooked allow to cool and the meat should simply fall off the bone leaving you with juicy tenderised and flavoured rabbit meat and a pot of perfect stock to be used in a rabbit caserole or pie.

Heres the recipe I used, it was mostly guess work and turned out ok.

Lapin Hache d'Axe (Axe's Bunny Burger)

Ingredients

2 Rabbits

1lb Pork Belly

2 Large Onions

1 Large handful of chopped prunes

1 Tablespoon of paprika

2 Teaspoons of dried Rosemary

1 Large Handful of Suet

1 Large handful of bread crumbs

Salt & Pepper

Method

Finely chop and gently fry the onions until golden brown. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Fillet and mince the rabbits along with the pork belly. Add the cooled onions, prunes, paprika, rosemary, suet, salt, pepper and mix well, adding the breadcrumbs a little at a time to get the right consistency. If the mix is too dry add a little olive oil, if the mix is too wet add more breadcrumbs.

Taking a handful of the mixture gently pat round and flatten to create a 3/4 thick burger about 4 inches in diameter. This should make roughly 16-18 burgers. Leave in the fridge to set a little then cook on the BBQ or grill as you would any ordinary thick burger.

Place cooked burger in a bap or burger bun topped with the usual accompliments, add a sprinkling of friends and a good jug of Harveys Best real ale and savour the moment as you shout cheers and bite into the burger.

A few more ideas I am going to try next time:

Mexican Bunny Burger:

Replace the prunes with kidney beans and add a 1-2 teaspoons of chilli powder or cayenne pepper.

Indian Bunny Kofte:

Replace the prunes and paprika with chick peas and garam masala and add 2 teaspoons of cumin, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1inch of grated ginger, 2 cloves of grated garlic

If the wasted meat was on the bone then just smear them with olive oil and roast in the oven,then when nice and brown chuck them in a stock pot with 2-3 sticks of celery,an onion,carrot,bay leaf and 6 peppercorns and cover with water.Simmer very gently for 3 hours(skim off any scum)and you have a lovely stock for soups,risottos etc.