unsure help needed

muckybear

hi can anyone put me right i am thinking of applying for my fac alredy got sgc spoke to my local flo about turning my s410 up he said not to bother get a cheap rifle only saw him in passing so couldnt get any advice from him hence i am on here picking your brains what is rimfire and centre fire what cal would i need to control foxes and sometimes rabbits nothing bigger in the way of vermin i.e no deer or anything just foxes thanks

Well a .22 rimfire such as the classic .22LR that most of us have is ideal for rabbit and can be made virtually silent using a £30 moderator and sub-sonic ammo.

However, it's too light-weight so's to speak for fox and unless they're very close by you're more likely to injure than kill them.

Some of the guys use .223 (5.56mm) centrefire for fox which again is a classic choice, but then it's too much for bunny's.

So if you have to choose just one then perhaps .22-250 (which is centrefire) might be OK? The other guys will post soon and probably give you more and/or better options, so wait to see what the rest of the crew think. These can also be moderated but are nowhere near as quite as a .22LR as the ammo is always supersonic; infact it's a pretty fast round, as they go.

Remember that whatever you apply for on the form, also mention you're intention to moderate it (even if u don't intend to). You have to have a seperate entry on your FAC for a moderator, if u don't have it then you can't buy one till you do, and that means a £25? variation. Easier to ask for one up front on the initial application.

Or indeed apply for a .22LR and a .223, both moderated? Why not? Long as you have the permissions to support it, it should be fine.

The rimfire/centrefire just refers to where the pin strikes the round. but I think anything .22-250 and above is centrefire. Also generally centrefire are thought of as "more lethal" as they tend to produce higher muzzle velocities, use larger rounds, have higher muzzle energies and more range.

The thought of using a 22-250 on rabbits makes me smile a little as you would probably shoot them, skin them and cook them all in one go. ;)

If you are after a rifle to do both rabbits and the occasional fox then the .17hmr is the way to go with 17grn ballistic tip bullets for rabbits and 20 grn hollow point for the close range foxes. The .17hmr is @ 2½ more powerful than the .22rimfire but is inherently safer due to the lack of ricochets.

Should you then want to go to a centrefire rifle you will at least have some idea of longer range shooting.

Perhaps a .22 Hornet may be more appropriate for your needs. It all depends really on how much experience you have, because most firearms dep’ts won’t let anyone who hasn’t had at least 1 years experience with a .22rf apply for a centrefire.

As an idea of power for .22cf from lowest to highest-

.22 Hornet

.222 Rem

.223 Rem

.22-250 Rem

.220 Swift

There are loads of other .22 calibres in between, but those are the main ones that most of us use. :thumbs:

G.M.

Or indeed apply for a .22LR and a .223, both moderated? Why not? Long as you have the permissions to support it, it should be fine.

12 FT LB TO .223 in one easy step :blink: ..............You'll be doing yourself no favours and probably put yourself off shooting for life ...................Get alot of experience first before tackling fullbore .

.22 lr (Rimfire Sub sonic ,100 ft lbs & 1085 FPS) At the muzzle, Sonic ammo is 1120 FPS +

.223 CTR FIRE 1280 Ft LBs & 3240 FPS ...............At a 1000yds there is still 84 ft lbs traveling 900 FPS .

Depending on your Budget the Sako quad seems ideal,,,,,,,2 barrels of which one is .22 lr and the other is .17 hmr ...............Speak to Axe as he has only just aquired one :blink:

Be Good and Be safe and enjoy your shooting by walking and not trying to run too soon

Ive :blink:

The thought of using a 22-250 on rabbits makes me smile a little as you would probably shoot them, skin them and cook them all in one go. :look:

If you are after a rifle to do both rabbits and the occasional fox then the .17hmr is the way to go with 17grn ballistic tip bullets for rabbits and 20 grn hollow point for the close range foxes. The .17hmr is @ 2½ more powerful than the .22rimfire but is inherently safer due to the lack of ricochets.

Should you then want to go to a centrefire rifle you will at least have some idea of longer range shooting.

Perhaps a .22 Hornet may be more appropriate for your needs. It all depends really on how much experience you have, because most firearms dep’ts won’t let anyone who hasn’t had at least 1 years experience with a .22rf apply for a centrefire.

As an idea of power for .22cf from lowest to highest-

.22 Hornet

.222 Rem

.223 Rem

.22-250 Rem

.220 Swift

There are loads of other .22 calibres in between, but those are the main ones that most of us use. :D

G.M.

There you go Muckybear, told you someone would have a better suggestion for an all-round type of calibre! :look:

Gemini is usually your man for it!