cz rifles

telf

hello all, after having had a couple of topics on scopes and rifles i had more or less made my mind up on what i wanted,but after a conversation with a friend of mine i may have been totally wrong.I was going to get a anschutz 1517 with a zeiss 3-9x50 scope,but after talking to him he said i would be better off getting a CZ452 AMERICAN and instead of importing the scope from america which will incur taxes etc get a zeiss 3-12x50 over here thus saving money on the rifle but getting a better scope,whilst still saving a few bob.Having read reviews on the cz the only real problem seems to be the trigger which can be modified for about a tenner.Any help would be appreciated also which one would be the better choice in cz the varmint with heavy barrel or the american which is reported on one forum as prone to overheating if out all day bunnying. CHEERS

hello all, after having had a couple of topics on scopes and rifles i had more or less made my mind up on what i wanted,but after a conversation with a friend of mine i may have been totally wrong.I was going to get a anschutz 1517 with a zeiss 3-9x50 scope,but after talking to him he said i would be better off getting a CZ452 AMERICAN and instead of importing the scope from america which will incur taxes etc get a zeiss 3-12x50 over here thus saving money on the rifle but getting a better scope,whilst still saving a few bob.Having read reviews on the cz the only real problem seems to be the trigger which can be modified for about a tenner.Any help would be appreciated also which one would be the better choice in cz the varmint with heavy barrel or the american which is reported on one forum as prone to overheating if out all day bunnying. CHEERS

B******t, how many bunnies do you expect to get, I use my HMR down the range, and yes, it can get a bit warm, so what, it isn't a semi auto with a 25 shot mag!

Don't forget the CZ Style as well!

I have no time for the Varmint (Heavy) barrels for field work, others do, thats fine, but I have no need to cart round a heavier lump, absolutely NO difference in accuracy.

Top one is a CZ Style in HMR, bottom is a CZ .22WMR American (16" Barrel) looks the same as the HMR American.

Spend whatever you are comfortable with on the scope, but personally, for day or night, I see not point (or benefit) in spending a fortune on a scope for a rimfire, again others will have their own view. But I can confidently say I have never missed/refused a shot and blamed any of my inexpensive scopes for it!

Nothing more than about £100 on top of any of this lot.....

ATB

PS,

Trigger kits are easy..if they need it, three of these have been done, the other didn't need it!

PPS

Ifyou get lucky with the wood on your CZ American it can look like this, my latest offering which I had a little work done on.

post-20848-1289149023.jpg

post-20848-1289150078.jpg

Edited by Dekers

Hi, not all CZ triggers need tweaking, many are fine from new and if not its the easiest thing to do. As regards to the American overheating while Rabbit shooting well we can all wish for that! I shoot with Salop Sniper off here and he has the Varmint while I have the American, nothing in it they both shoot well. If you are not doing much walking and shooting off a rest then the Varmint may sit a bit better. All my shooting is on foot off sticks and I'm more than happy with the weight or lack of it from the slim Americn.

The money you would save over the Anschutz would go towards a nice scope and the change would get you a fair bit of ammo to get out there shooting and enjoying it.

atvb Paul.

Hi, not all CZ triggers need tweaking, many are fine from new and if not its the easiest thing to do. As regards to the American overheating while Rabbit shooting well we can all wish for that! I shoot with Salop Sniper off here and he has the Varmint while I have the American, nothing in it they both shoot well. If you are not doing much walking and shooting off a rest then the Varmint may sit a bit better. All my shooting is on foot off sticks and I'm more than happy with the weight or lack of it from the slim Americn.

The money you would save over the Anschutz would go towards a nice scope and the change would get you a fair bit of ammo to get out there shooting and enjoying it.

atvb Paul.

that wood looks great,hope i can get mine somewhere near that.So apart from the trigger possibly need doing are there any other faults,niggles to be aware of

i've got vertualy exactly what you are looking for a cz siluette with a ziess conquest 3-9-50 i have had the trigger done and it's a cracking little rifle don't worry about the barrel over heating if you got that many bunnies to shoot you need a gpmg not an hmr, i'm just trying to sort the stock on mine but thats just preferance and trying to get a better fit for me as i'm a biggish bloke

you won't be disappointed in a cz of any kind for they money they take some beating

i've got vertualy exactly what you are looking for a cz siluette with a ziess conquest 3-9-50 i have had the trigger done and it's a cracking little rifle don't worry about the barrel over heating if you got that many bunnies to shoot you need a gpmg not an hmr, i'm just trying to sort the stock on mine but thats just preferance and trying to get a better fit for me as i'm a biggish bloke

you won't be disappointed in a cz of any kind for they money they take some beating

any advice on these trigger kits,i ve just been looking on various sites and you can get the rimfire magic kit for around a tenner or a timney kit for £95

i've got a cz452 varmint in .22lr and the only problem with it is my shooting :good: i've never felt the need to rush out and buy a trigger kit my self but probably will at some point just to see if there's much difference, there cracking guns and not that heavy i do all my shooting on foot and can happily walk round for hours with it, my old man had the american and theres not that much weight in it not enough to worry anyway, if you stick a bipod on the american it weighs about the same as a varmint without a bipod so really not a lot of difference in my opinion.

as for scope its personal choice if you've got the cash stick something nice on it, mine is a pedro222 special a hawke 3-9x50 map pro with map6 ret for £40 does everything i need it to do day or night, also got a deben bipod another pedro222 special (cheers pedro) and a sako mod cost me £30, the whole setup probably cost me new less than what the zeiss will set you back and probably performs almost as well

atb gary

The trigger kits are just a set of springs and tubes to get the trigger more crisp. The Timney is the whole trigger unit which unless you're really fussy, you'll not need.

I'd never spend Anschutz money on a rimfire. CZ's are very good (just look at my signature!). What your friend says about getting a cheaper gun and a better scope is brilliant advice and just the way I see it. The scope is what matters and the CZ will shoot just as accurately as an Anschutz!

any idea how much the mags are

You'll often see them for sale on here where a guy has ordered a job lot direct from CZ. I have 3 for my LR and they all cost less than £15 each.

The trigger is something you'll just need to try, both of mine were light enough out of the box but I used a kit to reduce the creep on both of them.

The HMR if shot repeatedly (e.g. while zeroing) will get warm but we're not talking centrefire type heat (where you can't see clearly through the scope due to the heat coming off).

Some people prefer the heavy barrel as they feel it's better balanced, personally I do nearly all my shooting from either a bipod or other form of rest (sticks, 4x4 bonnet etc) so it wasn't an issue. For me, a lighter rifle to carry when stalking the bunnies was more important.

As far as scopes go, personally I'd feel a Ziess was overspending. Like Gaz, I have a MAP Pro on my LR, does the job perfectly. My HMR scope is a bit more exotic but it is on there pending my .243 and will probably end up on there and I'll buy something else for the HMR.

The last debate on the CZ's would then be I guess barrel length. I prefer the 16" as again it's lighter and easier to use when shooting from a 4x4 but they do cost more. My HMR is the full 20" as it saved me a bit, I don't use it so much for 4x4 lamping and I like to store the HMR with the mod off, a 16" barrel without mod won't stand up properly in my cabinet.

Edited by Colster

varmint every time -i have one and if your going to take it to the range for zeroing you will be able to get more bang for your bux before it overheats and the session is over :good:

You'll often see them for sale on here where a guy has ordered a job lot direct from CZ. I have 3 for my LR and they all cost less than £15 each.

The trigger is something you'll just need to try, both of mine were light enough out of the box but I used a kit to reduce the creep on both of them.

The HMR if shot repeatedly (e.g. while zeroing) will get warm but we're not talking centrefire type heat (where you can't see clearly through the scope due to the heat coming off).

Some people prefer the heavy barrel as they feel it's better balanced, personally I do nearly all my shooting from either a bipod or other form of rest (sticks, 4x4 bonnet etc) so it wasn't an issue. For me, a lighter rifle to carry when stalking the bunnies was more important.

As far as scopes go, personally I'd feel a Ziess was overspending. Like Gaz, I have a MAP Pro on my LR, does the job perfectly. My HMR scope is a bit more exotic but it is on there pending my .243 and will probably end up on there and I'll buy something else for the HMR.

The last debate on the CZ's would then be I guess barrel length. I prefer the 16" as again it's lighter and easier to use when shooting from a 4x4 but they do cost more. My HMR is the full 20" as it saved me a bit, I don't use it so much for 4x4 lamping and I like to store the HMR with the mod off, a 16" barrel without mod won't stand up properly in my cabinet.

e bay £17 each -a mate bought one couple of days ago and it works faultlessly

varmint every time -i have one and if your going to take it to the range for zeroing you will be able to get more bang for your bux before it overheats and the session is over :good:

I accept and agree if you intend a lot of rapid fire target work and seldom wish to take it out into the field then consider a Varmint. But just how many shots do you anticipate for a zeroing session and how fast do you intend to fire them? If you need more than a handful of shots to zero you need to consider another sport.

I do a lot of target work and a lot of field work, and I know several other people who do a lot of target work and I have NEVER known anyone have to stop because their barrel got too hot, and I have certainly never heard of anyone having to stop during a zeroing session either, due to overheated barrel.

These are not stupid speed centrefires, and even in the light barrels there is a lot of metal around that very small .17 hole!

ATB!

I accept and agree if you intend a lot of rapid fire target work and seldom wish to take it out into the field then consider a Varmint. But just how many shots do you anticipate for a zeroing session and how fast do you intend to fire them? If you need more than a handful of shots to zero you need to consider another sport.

I do a lot of target work and a lot of field work, and I know several other people who do a lot of target work and I have NEVER known anyone have to stop because their barrel got too hot, and I have certainly never heard of anyone having to stop during a zeroing session either, due to overheated barrel.

These are not stupid speed centrefires, and even in the light barrels there is a lot of metal around that very small .17 hole!

ATB!

thanks for the replys,at the moment i think i will probably go for the american as all of my shooting is done on foot, and after looking into it further the zeiss 3-9x50 with mounts and flip up covers as it will still work out alot cheaper than buying a 3-12x50 over here CHEERS

My Cz American came with a trigger that needs a good squeeze. Not hefty but you definitly have to sqeeze a little harder then normal 2 stage system.

I have got used to it now and if i may say so pretty accurate with it. But i'm looking to upgrade to a more expensive model with a more quality 2 stage

trigger. May sound a little more expensive spending about £600+ for a new gun. Then paying about a tena for a trigger kit for my Cz. But i would like a better

build a style of gun. Hw60j or a savage model, see what santa brings.

DD

I have a CZ 452 Silhouette, the factory trigger is as good as any I've tried and does not need a kit atall, with regards overheating that is just rubbish .... I use mine for range work shooting 5 rounds reloading then 5 more and the barrel didn't even feel warm.