outing this morning.

aaron airgunner

hi all,

well i got up this morning at 7:30 to stake out this spot where i had seen a lot of pigeons feeding recently. i got there at about 8:00 after a quick zero check. there was a fallen tree a paced 38yrds away which provided the perfect spot to look over a row of hawthorns and a large crab apple tree. before long a strong left to right wind picked up as usual and i honed in how much hold-off in needed on a few hawthorn berries. it was going to be a hard shoot because i was to my very limits with the varying wind. out of nowhere i noticed a squirrel vigourosly feeding on some hawthorn berries not exactly side on to me, but kind of at an angle which made for a hard shot. so i put the first bar right of the crosshair (MTC users will know what im on about) right on his eye so that the pellet would go through the brain and exit near the ear. i took up the first stage, waiting for the right moment in the wind, and squeezed the trigger. a loud smack echoed through the trees and the quirrel clung momentarily to the branch in a death grip, then fell to the floor motionless :good: . i quickly retrieved it. about 20 mins later a lone pigeon landed in the crab apple tree 38yrds away and i gave it the same procedure, and got a skll slapping smack again. it fell flapping but landed in a smaller tree beside it :doh: . i quickly reloaded and gave it a second shot just to make sure i got it right. it didnt move so i had killed it the first time and it was just the way it had fallen in the tree which made it look as if it was alive. i hacked a long branch off the fallen tree using my knife and a baton made from a small log. i prodded the pigeon in the tree till it fell and saw me first shot was straight through the brain, my second shot throught the back of the head. i sat for another 15 mins and a pair of woodys landed, one in the crab apple, the other in the hawthorn. the one in the crab apple, even though it was slightly further, provided a clearer shot as the one in the hawthorn was behind lots of small pellet finding twigs. so i took up the first stage on the crab apple pigeon but it flew off for no aparent reason just as i was on the verge of pulling the trigger. so i moved my crossahirs to the one in the hawthorn, which was now vigoursly feeding, only giving me tiny windows to thread a pellet through as it moved its head. suddenly it clumsily clattered off and i thought that it had somehow seen me but the reason became all to clear 10 seconds later as a buzzard ripped through the air, tailed by sqaucking jackdaws and magpies. it sent up every pigeon as far as the eye could see :doh: so it was pretty much game-over (no pun intended :good:) for the day.

ATB Aaron

p.s if your wondering what the piece of paper in the pic is for its a comp on a other site

post-18670-1289150847.jpg