303s

Big Dog

Frank if you havent looked in talk from the field do, I have a post there for you. Also Frank, do you know anything about "Southern Rifle & Optics" - from Waterford City. They seem to do all the tuning and stuff you would normally get done in England???

Ok. I think I am starting the long journey of buying a old 303 rifle. Slow because of the crazy gun laws here in NI and because of money. That all said I have alway like them and never thought it possible to buy.

Now that I hope to get into a rifle club that may all change for me. I need some tips from you guys who do this as "old rope". E.g.:

1. What are the things to look out for? (I will want to use this gun and get reasonal groups too)

2. I have seen them advertised in "Shooting Sports" and "Gun Mark". Is this the way to go or are you likely to get a lot of cra*?

3. What is a reasonal price range?

4. As I am in NI, what issues do I need to resolve e.g. it would be hard to inspect it, but should I prioritise budgeting that in??

5. As I know nothing about bringing a gun over from the UK is that possible without having to use a local dealer, I know I may need to ask that question locally?

6. What of the 4 make is the better to go after?

7. Anything you think I need to consider

8. Most of all, any of you guys got one?

I feel very excited about this but realise it good be more than a year b4 I get close to getting one.

Thanks guys.

Frank if you havent looked in talk from the field do, I have a post there for you. Also Frank, do you know anything about "Southern Rifle & Optics" - from Waterford City. They seem to do all the tuning and stuff you would normally get done in England???

Ok. I think I am starting the long journey of buying a old 303 rifle. Slow because of the crazy gun laws here in NI and because of money. That all said I have alway like them and never thought it possible to buy.

Now that I hope to get into a rifle club that may all change for me. I need some tips from you guys who do this as "old rope". E.g.:

1. What are the things to look out for? (I will want to use this gun and get reasonal groups too)

2. I have seen them advertised in "Shooting Sports" and "Gun Mark". Is this the way to go or are you likely to get a lot of cra*?

3. What is a reasonal price range?

4. As I am in NI, what issues do I need to resolve e.g. it would be hard to inspect it, but should I prioritise budgeting that in??

5. As I know nothing about bringing a gun over from the UK is that possible without having to use a local dealer, I know I may need to ask that question locally?

6. What of the 4 make is the better to go after?

7. Anything you think I need to consider

8. Most of all, any of you guys got one?

I feel very excited about this but realise it good be more than a year b4 I get close to getting one.

Thanks guys.

You have PM Big Dog. :rolleyes: :(

Thanks guys, very informative and helpful info. I think I good get into the history and ethos of the 303.

I know some of the guys at the range have them so I must get to know them a bit better to get a shot with one. It will take time but I would really love to omn one.

beatingisbest - There are sreveral guys using them at our range. I dont know about you guys but here if you are in a club, you get passed for the caliber and then you pick you gun. So in 308 e.g. you can get a tactical rifle, 223 the same both used in the forces and police.

The guy I know with the 303 didnt shoot today as he has been ill. However, I got shooting a 223, a Glock 9mm semi-auto and a Smith and Wesson 38/.375 revolver

nice :D

Same here Big Dog, if you are a member of a fullbore club then there is absolutely nothing to prevent you from obtaining a .303.

Sorry beatingisbest, but I just notched that you are only 15 years old, so aren’t as knowledgeable as some other members of this forum are. Don’t feel too bad though as you will only learn by asking. :lol:

G.M.

My shooting pal had a Lee enfield 303 ,until he gave up his FAC ,(he was a handgun shooter untill the ban then lost interest)

I had a go with it a few times down the range,and I developed a very big respect for those blokes who stood in the trenches shooting one all day,

The rounds were a bit hard to come by and fairly pricey,I dont know if you can reload your own,but he did'nt,although he used to load his own for his 357& 44 handguns.

He bought his 303 from Elderkins and sons of Spalding Lincs.

I remember him saying they had a big heap of them out the back ,and him and one of the gunsmiths sorted throu them till they found a good un,

Elderkins had them, because at one time they used to bore them out ,and turn them into four ten shotguns.

All the best Mick.

Same here Big Dog, if you are a member of a fullbore club then there is absolutely nothing to prevent you from obtaining a .303.

Sorry beatingisbest, but I just notched that you are only 15 years old, so aren’t as knowledgeable as some other members of this forum are. Don’t feel too bad though as you will only learn by asking. :D

G.M.

hey! little people know stuff too!