Loading black powder carts

I am struggling to find some Black powder cartridges at a reasonable cost so am thinking I will have to load my own.

So the question is what do I need??

I used to have a mec 600 jr press but got rid but I presume this wouldn't have been much good anyway?

I figure I will need a rolled turnover tool of some description and some paper cases - any ideas where to source?

Can I safely use Pyrodex as a black powder substiture? Bearing in mind that I have no explosives licence!

If someone had the necessary stuff and wants to sell it all then I wiould be well chuffed and happy to hand a small wad of cash over

looking forward to some knowledgeable help

Regards

Graham

Hi,

If only you were a bit nearer I would load some for you. The standard game blackpowder load is 3 drams of powder and 1 1/8 of shot. I have loaded several to this recipe and they kill as well as modern loads. Ensure that you use a over powder card and fibre wad as plastic can melt leaving all kinds of crud behind. There is also no need to roll turnover either, just get the cloumn height right and crimp as usual.

3 drams is 82 grains.

I have never used pyrodex but as far as I am aware it is a substitute and is used in the same way.

You can get a black powder licence easily from your local FSEL department. Just ring your FEO

Hi,

If only you were a bit nearer I would load some for you. The standard game blackpowder load is 3 drams of powder and 1 1/8 of shot. I have loaded several to this recipe and they kill as well as modern loads. Ensure that you use a over powder card and fibre wad as plastic can melt leaving all kinds of crud behind. There is also no need to roll turnover either, just get the cloumn height right and crimp as usual.

3 drams is 82 grains.

I have never used pyrodex but as far as I am aware it is a substitute and is used in the same way.

You can get a black powder licence easily from your local FSEL department. Just ring your FEO

Wish I hadn't sold my mec now - anybody got any reloading kit for sale???

Regards

Graham

You shouldn't use the powder measuring dies on the press, even supposing you could get ones big enough. Its not recommended with black powder or Pyro because of the risk of static. Anyway the powder is too rough and granular and won't meter properly. Get a Lee powder measure kit.

You can get paper cases from Henry Krank or Clay Game before they close down. Both will also sell roll turnover tools as well. Both sell wads etc but Kranks are quite dear.

Talk to clay game and tell him what you want to do, he will advise you but apparantly he's closing down soon so don't delay.

Edited by Vince Green

Guest cookoff013

one thing i`ve been told is when seating the wad and OP card, use 50 lbs of wad seating pressure, any air in their is a bad idea.

also select the right grade of powder. there is different grain size.

one thing i`ve been told is when seating the wad and OP card, use 50 lbs of wad seating pressure, any air in their is a bad idea.

also select the right grade of powder. there is different grain size.

Most definitly use the right grain size, its very important.

When starting out, load a number of thick over powder cards until the right wad column height is achieved. Count them as you put them in. That will tell you the height of the wad column that is required. Usually its something like one thick OP wad plus a half inch felt wad and maybe something like another card wad for packing to get the right height.

Thanks for all the advice guys

I have picked up a second hand press (versamec - similar to my old 600 jr).

A local cartridge supplier is getting me assorted wads and paper and 2 1/2" paper cases direct from express so should be ready to start playing come thursday.

I have started researching a little over Pyro and the advice from the americans is still to treat as black powder and use by volume????

I have an ols powder measure that I used on a muzzleloader should I use that and then use the same volume of lead???

Any advice is extrememly welcome

Regards

Graham

Pyro loads the same volume to volume as black powder so a 3 dram powder measure will give you the equivilent load as if it were black powder. But the Pyro will weigh less than if it were BP. This is OK.

I have the Hogdon manual here for Pyrodex. If you want I can photocopy the relevent bits and send them to you. PM me or email Greenvbg@aol.com

Pyro loads the same volume to volume as black powder so a 3 dram powder measure will give you the equivilent load as if it were black powder. But the Pyro will weigh less than if it were BP. This is OK.

I have the Hogdon manual here for Pyrodex. If you want I can photocopy the relevent bits and send them to you. PM me or email Greenvbg@aol.com

PM sent Vince

Cheers

Graham