Rose Hip Vodka

Beardo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Done mine today as I've a tree full of rosehips in the garden.

It's a real rich carrotty orange colour, but very thick and you have to pour it quickly before it sets :blink: :oops::lol: .

The syrup was really thick to start so I thinned it with some boiled water. That gave me about 400ml of 'tomato soup' to work with and I mixed that with the vodka. It was still thick so I've added extra vodka to try and thin it down but I'm now on the verge of losing the rosehip flavour.

I'm tempted to just add some more boiled water, but decided to check on here first. Is this the right way to go or has anyone any other ideas?

Paul,

I did 400ml syrup to about 1100 mls vodka (have it in a 1500 Kilner) and that seemed about right. Not going to touch that one till Xmas as the earliest....um...probably :blush:

Yeah, mine started off that colour and by this morning there was a definite thicker reddy colour 'rosehip puree' in the bottom. I syphoned the clearer orange stuff out into a fresh bottle and filtered the puree. Think I must have just gone a bit daft with the mashing of the hips initially :blush:

I also decided I'd better knock up another smaller batch of thinner syrup to reinforce the flavour. I'm happier with end result and have a full bottle to keep and a two-thirds bottle to 'see me through' till I open the full one :lol:

I added the extra syrup according to taste this morning, but reckon it was still probably about 350/400ml to a litre.

Not done this one before - good recipe :good:

post-23045-0-62925800-1316443173.jpg

Edited by Paul T

Yeah, mine started off that colour and by this morning there was a definite thicker reddy colour 'rosehip puree' in the bottom. I syphoned the clearer orange stuff out into a fresh bottle and filtered the puree. Think I must have just gone a bit daft with the mashing of the hips initially :blush:

I also decided I'd better knock up another smaller batch of thinner syrup to reinforce the flavour. I'm happier with end result and have a full bottle to keep and a two-thirds bottle to 'see me through' till I open the full one :lol:

I added the extra syrup according to taste this morning, but reckon it was still probably about 350/400ml to a litre.

Not done this one before - good recipe :good:

Exactly what happened to my batch too but oddly after filtering out the resulting sediment and keeping the now lighter coloured liquid the taste seems to have altered very little :)

I also made up another batch Saturday but this time used the large round hips from cultivated roses which clearly had more flesh to them and were more juicy altogether - this time it went exactly to the recipie and I needed no extra water to make the syrup. A quick sampling though makes me think that there is slightly more taste to the batch made with the wild hips but we'll have to see again when they've both had more time to mature.

Exactly what happened to my batch too but oddly after filtering out the resulting sediment and keeping the now lighter coloured liquid the taste seems to have altered very little :)

Sounds like we've both been on the same learning curve... :yes:

Mine looks slightly paler in the photo than it really is - must be the light behind the bottle.

All of this talk of home made berry booze has prompted me...

My mum dumped a wheel barrow load of blackberries and raspberries into our freezer last year, having already filled up her own freezers.

So, I defrosted the lot last night and have turned out 2 litres of raspberry vodka and 2 litres of blackberry brandy.

With an early taste test, I think I have created a super sweet alco berry pop and am quietly optimistic.

The best bit was going through the cupboard in the garage and finding some very old 4 star metaxia - horrid, horrid Greek brandy. Extra fruit and tripple measures of sugar for that brew....

Edited by Mungler

Hmmm, that's a shame. Whilst it will undoubtedly improve with age the initial brew should be fairly intense. This is only an idea but I wonder how well the water took on the rosehip flavour?

Did you use a blender of food processor to macerate the hips? I did for my second lit and it definitely made it more intense. Even at the beginning there should be a distinctive butterscotch flavour.

Good luck.

I decided to join the club so picked 1.5kg of rosehips earlier tonight. Everything went according to the recipe and now I have 700ml of the runny syrup to mix with 3 x 500ml lots of vodka. Or I might make 3.5 batches. The syrup already has quite a strong butterscotch/toffee sauce flavour with a hint of something fruity in it.

I used a hand-blender which blitzed up the hips without creating too much mess. Just need to get some vodka now, so it'll be Lidl after work. :good:

post-1413-0-51611200-1317162379.jpg

The best bit was going through the cupboard in the garage and finding some very old 4 star metaxia - horrid, horrid Greek brandy. Extra fruit and tripple measures of sugar for that brew....

Something similar from me. Two French friends gave me bottles of their home made 'Eau de Vie' as presents a couple of years ago and they were languishing in the back of the booze cupboard. They were entirely different one was sickly sweet it was like sugar water with a kick, the other was just rocket fuel and gave you a real head banging.

We combined the two lobbed in some sloes and and made 'Sloe de Vie' out of it. Terrible pun I know :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the rosehip voddy, there has collected a light 'must' at the bottom of my kilner jar, would you say (eventually) strain it or just stir it back in. I used double muslin to strain the initial press so I think this is just a collection of minute particles.

Maybe more noticeable as it's a 1500ML jar.