Cocker Rage

Swamp Beast

I have a cocker springer cross. Both Dam and Sire are pedigrees.

Someone mentioned this to me when I was looking in to cockers. I spent alot of time looking in to it and found that it was most commonly found in Red cockers with very few cases in other colour dogs. The eyes glaze over, the dog goes nuts, afterwards the dog acts as if nothing has happened.

My dog is ok with kids BUT i have no problems in getting rid of her if she so much as farts at my girls in a bad way.

They are always supervised, the kids know what they can/can't do with her. She is a bit fiery with other dogs but is fine with people. If other peoples kids come over I ALWAYS keep the dog separate from the kids playing.

They are a great breed but be careful, at the end of the day they are just animals and can be unpredictable.

Cocker rage was evident in show stock.

My wife works for a vets and cocker rage is definitely well known in their trade. I think it is most common in solid red versions of the breed - the teddy bear type of cocker. Whilst it is more common in show stock we can't discount these bloodlines getting into working strains.

i dont think its just found in cockers, it is more prevailanrt in red cockers but has been found in other breeds of dogs too

mine has always been as good as gold, and she is certainly the red teddy bear type but gets worked and does a pretty good job much to some peoples surprise when they see her at first and usually comment on how 'pretty' she is ................ patience was the key :good:

My wife works for a vets and cocker rage is definitely well known in their trade. I think it is most common in solid red versions of the breed - the teddy bear type of cocker. Whilst it is more common in show stock we can't discount these bloodlines getting into working strains.

Very true, although I've never heard of it in a working dog.

The cocker gene pool got so small, and the working strains derive now from relatively few dogs bred for the field, it is possible but I would have thought unlikely that the problematic strains would enter working stock?

I have a cocker springer cross. Both Dam and Sire are pedigrees.

Someone mentioned this to me when I was looking in to cockers. I spent alot of time looking in to it and found that it was most commonly found in Red cockers with very few cases in other colour dogs. The eyes glaze over, the dog goes nuts, afterwards the dog acts as if nothing has happened.

My dog is ok with kids BUT i have no problems in getting rid of her if she so much as farts at my girls in a bad way.

They are always supervised, the kids know what they can/can't do with her. She is a bit fiery with other dogs but is fine with people. If other peoples kids come over I ALWAYS keep the dog separate from the kids playing.

They are a great breed but be careful, at the end of the day they are just animals and can be unpredictable.

Completely agree with you. Regardless of the dog, I would never fully trust it.

My girlfriends parents have had various working dog breeds and all there dogs have been soft as !

How ever they had a cocker and it quickly became apparent all was not well esp with food but one day the dog turned on my grilfriends brother when playing in the garden, completely un provoked and bit / attacked him.

There was a few instances of simlar shortly after also.

Apparently when the do turned his eyes would roll and your see mainly the white of the eye not the pupuil etc .

So sadly it ment the dog had to be put down.

As a result my mrs wont have a cocker now. So we have 2 terriers :)

But if i want a spaniel in the future then it will have to be a sprocker or springer ! My choice would be the sprocker !

got a five year old cocker bitch and from the day coming into the home at 8wks till this day has not been a bit of bother.

also have her son now 18mths and the same not a bit of bother.

loves the kids and in fact anyone to the point that she could be taken by anyone.

Edited by ROBLATCH

• 2 weeks later...

I HAVE A COCKER ITS 17 MONTHS OLD AND I WOULD TRUST IT WITH ANY CHILD IT WAS VERY SHY WHEN I GOT HER AT A YEAR OLD BUT NOW SHES SO GENTLE

Have you read the thread?

You should never trust any dog with a child there are 250000 people bitten every year, sually in their own home, inflicted by a dog that is familiar to them.

You should never trust any dog with a child there are 250000 people bitten every year, sually in their own home, inflicted by a dog that is familiar to them.

i think what is being said here is that he trusts his dog aropund anyone( nothing wrong with that ) as do i.

we all know things can go wrong but 99% of it is human error/interference.

i think what is being said here is that he trusts his dog aropund anyone( nothing wrong with that ) as do i.

we all know things can go wrong but 99% of it is human error/interference.

Id trust my dogs round any1..to me if you dont trust your dog you shouldnt have them.. and id trust most dogs than i would people alot of the dogs probelms is bad dog management

FOR ANYONE TO SAY THAT NO DOG CAN.NOT BE TRUSTED THEN THEY HAVE NO COMMON SENSE AROUND DOGS AND THEY DONT DESERVE TO HAVE ONE, THEY SIMPLY NEED TO STAY AROUND THERE OWN KIND HUMAN BEINGS, THAT CAN BREAK AT ANY MOMENT GOING AROUND DOING THINGS THAT A DOG WOULD OR COULD NOT EVER DO A HUMAN PROTECTS THEMSELVES AND THERE YOUNG WHY CANT A DOG DO THE SAME WITHOUT BEEN SUBJECT TO SILLY PEOPLE SAYING COCKER RAGE I WOULD TRUST MY COCKER BEFOER I WOULD TRUST A HUMAN BEING

theres being familiar with a dog then there is knowing your dog i know my dog and i would [trust] my dog with any child as i know i would only let that child be anywhere near my cocker when i was there because as any sensible person knows any child can be annoying no matter how good their parents think they are when a child sees somthing they want they pull them to bits so lets be sensible you need to watch your children just as much as you need to watch your dog

theres being familiar with a dog then there is knowing your dog i know my dog and i would [trust] my dog with any child as i know i would only let that child be anywhere near my cocker when i was there because as any sensible person knows any child can be annoying no matter how good their parents think they are when a child sees somthing they want they pull them to bits so lets be sensible you need to watch your children just as much as you need to watch your dog

hear what your saying but a child is a child; if a dog bit my child well it would be gone in a flash and a bang. Ive decided not to go for a cocker; plenty of people (the majority I reckon) have said theyve had no bother with theirs and would recommend, however my kids are more important to me so have decided to wait till there a wee bit older before getting a dog.

how many people are injured at work using machines they are familiar with ? i guess a lot,

how many horse trainers breed horses to win that dont ? i guess a lot,

how many people slip/trip or fall and injure themselves ? i guess a lot,

how many pople are injured by rampaging cows/beast ? i guess a lot.

the simplicity is every living thing can take a turn for the worst NOT just the cocker.

as ive said i love my children to bits but a child is a child and no, one can say they dont get into situations where they have done wrong i know its a childs way as its any dogs way to protect themselves or their pups. I would not let my cocker get into a situation where they are a threat to any child because i would not let a child pull her to bits or even have her in the same space as the child iff i did not trust her, my children mean the world to me as i know yours do too but as rob latch says any animal can turn.and so can any human we read it in papers all the time but as you have said iff you dont trust a dog dont even think of getting it, you would not feel right yourself never mind having it around your children ,all i am saying you would not go out for a drink with someone you did not trust but you also have to learn to trust someone yourself or you will never trust anyone, thats why i have said i would trust my dog around anyone i know my dog and my grandchildren can do anything with her i instill goodness in my dog by treating her well so she does not feel threatened you only get out of any animal what you put into it, good luck anyway with your choice of pets, i know i have got many happy years left to have with my little cocker bitch because i know she loves me as much as i love her

• 3 weeks later...

i've got my first cocker,the first i've had and i'd hand on heart say he was easier and calmer than my lab.let the handbrake off and he's an absolute rocket.

as for price you can spend anywhere from 350/750.i know a top trialler who sells hs pups for £500 let me know when your ready and i'll see if he has any pups.don't let anyone tell you trialling lines are nuts :good:

PM Sent