tail docking. is it really necessary?

timmy264

A friend of mine has an undocked Springer and last week it had several inches removed from its tail by a vet due to damage done while beating.I honestly think it will get worse.

As for the ethics of docking im pro-choice.It should have been left to the individuals descion whether they wanted a docked dog or not.

It is definitely beneficial for them as they are dogs that like to work hard in cover and do pick up injuries and that really is whether they are a pet or work. I've even seen them with injuries picked up round the house so personally where its an option I would do it. If you want them to go to working homes then they will be far easier to sell. The actual vets trip is pretty painless to them the bone won't have hardened properly and they will make a noise for a minute or two if that.

It is definitely beneficial for them as they are dogs that like to work hard in cover and do pick up injuries and that really is whether they are a pet or work. I've even seen them with injuries picked up round the house so personally where its an option I would do it. If you want them to go to working homes then they will be far easier to sell. The actual vets trip is pretty painless to them the bone won't have hardened properly and they will make a noise for a minute or two if that.

when our pups were done they made a little squeak. over in a second!

i have seen a labrador break its tail in the house, wagging away hit the edge of the kitchen unit and twang...broken|!

so why didnt they dock lab tails too?

i agree spaniels are known for there charge through the brash and put up the peasants attitude

but i see more and more labs on the beating line now and they dont seem afraid of getting in the thick and going for it!?

mine gets stuck into the cover,but like you say labs have alot more protection on their tails :good:

Thats why i asked...i see more labs in the beating line than spaniels and they all get stuck in!

on the 2 shoots i go on, i see more labs beating than spaniels and more spaniels ponssing around flat grass fields picking runners up :hmm:

i thought it was supposed to be the other way round?

I am perplexed that you have a litter of spaniels BORN and are only now thinking about docking :no:

Get it done, and be thankful you still have the choice.

The combination of a lab tails shape, action, speed of action and ground likely to be hunted all combine to make docking unnecessary.

I think "NOT" docking a working spaniels tail is animal cruelty.

I have had one and it doesnt affect their desire to hunt,but if you have a hard working spaniel with a full tail then expect to see it covered in blood every time you take it out after the first time it splits it's tail.

It isnt an option for a working spaniel.

The combination of a lab tails shape, action, speed of action and ground likely to be hunted all combine to make docking unnecessary.

You say that, but in the last couple of years I will have had to amputate ~10 Lab's tails, 1 undocked springer and 1 terrier with a tumour. Tail injuries in labs are common. IF you are pro-docking spaniels then you ought to do Labs too. People don't out of tradition [and it would be illegal to dock a Lab prophylactically].

:hmm:

I am pro-docking but there are plenty of undocked working spaniels with few problems on our books. If I bred a litter I would have them docked if they were to work.

I am less happy removing front dew claws, it's like having your thumb cut off. My terrier has no tail but dew claws and she uses them a lot for holding and grasping. Dangling rear dew claws want to come off.

the tails were always going to be docked from day 1.the puppies were only born last night. the vets appointment has been made. just had second thoughts when speaking to the vet today and they said that puppies can occasionally die from the shock because it's that painful. made me think twice! that's why i asked on here.

Edited by timmy264

the tails were always going to be docked from day 1. the vets appointment has been made. just had second thoughts when speaking to the vet and they said that puppies can occasionally die from the shock because it's that painful. made me think twice! that's why i asked on here.

Never heard of a pup to die from docking sounds to me like you vet is anti docking

I've always had mine done, if they are going to working homes it's a must.

Never known a pup suffer any adverse effects.

I wouldn't have a lab done, I think they need that rudder for water work.

I wouldn't use a lab for beating though, it's called a retriever for a reason.