tail docking. is it really necessary?

timmy264

my spaniel aint docked and wish he was realy. but he has not come from working parents.but i work him and he aint to keen to go through the thick cover. and i know the day will come when i have to take him to the vets to have it amputed and i aint looking forward to when that happens. i will be getting another next year a bitch and will breed the both of them and any pups will be docked. but can a vet amputate it before anything happens to it on my request?

You say that, but in the last couple of years I will have had to amputate ~10 Lab's tails, 1 undocked springer and 1 terrier with a tumour. Tail injuries in labs are common.

In my experience more common from banging them in kennel/crate/transit box than from working but maybe you could advise?

I think working spaniels realy need to be docked i have a mate who had 2 springers he worked undocked they both ended up at the vets because of tail injuries and are now docked.as for labs working cover better than spaniels the keeper where i beat keeps telling me that one because hes a lab man but i allways end up getting the realy thick brambels with my cockers.

I think "NOT" docking a working spaniels tail is animal cruelty.

I have had one and it doesnt affect their desire to hunt,but if you have a hard working spaniel with a full tail then expect to see it covered in blood every time you take it out after the first time it splits it's tail.

It isnt an option for a working spaniel.

completely agree mate seen some real nasty tail injuries in workin spaniels ,

and because of there temprament/eagerness to hunt they take a long time to heal propely

the tails were always going to be docked from day 1.the puppies were only born last night. the vets appointment has been made. just had second thoughts when speaking to the vet today and they said that puppies can occasionally die from the shock because it's that painful. made me think twice! that's why i asked on here.

Apologies then for my comment about only thinking about it now. :good: I have never heard of a pup die because of docking though, but I have witnessed pups being docked and not even waking up during the procedure!!!

Edited by WGD