Show us your favourite photo.

Frenchieboy

There are quite a few extremely good photographers on this forum (I don't think of myself as being as good as a great many of you but I do enjoy my phorography) so why not post your one all time favourite photo here and tell us why it is your favourite?

I believe that a good wildlife photographer needs a reasonable degree of fieldcraft skills and more ofthen than not quite a lot of patience.

I have chosen this photo of a Vixen as my "all time favourite to date" because it might lack in photographic excellence I believe I made up for in the fieldcraft skills, patience and knowledge of the "quarry" that I had to use to get the photo. I was sure that the vixen would show herself on this sunny afternoon as she was suckling cubs and would want a short break. The problem that I was faced with was that I had to get close to the earth without her realising that I was there, hearing me approcah or scenting me! To do that I had to crawl on my belly for about 250 yards through a shallow dip in the field and then lie down flat in a nettle bed about 40 feet from her earth for about 40 minutes before she decided to show herself! Even then she was that alert and I was that close that she heard the shutter go on my camera and disappeared much quicker than she had appeared! The photo has had about 40 percent of the unwanted background cropped out of it and run through Photoshop Elements using just "Smart Fix" and "Auto Lighting and Contract Levels" to enhance it!

I'm sure that there are hundreds much better than this one of mine so why not share them with us? A bit like "You show me yours and I'll show you mine"!

post-17172-0-37396700-1290193259.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good pic that frenchie had one as a pet got 3 cubs after killing the vixen they were about 4 weeks old so me and two

mates decided to give them a chance and release them when they were older but unfortunatly mine broke its leg in its pen

splinted it up for a month then wife didnt want it released so kept as a pet she lived just over 12 years

just a shame they are such wanton killers

atb dolphin

fantastic guy's, shooting is not just about shooting things.

That is so true mate! :good::yes::good:

Some brilliant photos coming in now.

Imperfection - Your photo looks like it could have been taken abroud somewhere, did you use a polarising filter to get that depth of colour?

Roonstar - You have emphasised exactly what I meant about patience! They say that good things are worth waiting for. The mist gives your photos an almost "mythical" quality and feel. very nice!

Roonstar - You have emphasised exactly what I meant about patience! They say that good things are worth waiting for. The mist gives your photos an almost "mythical" quality and feel. very nice!

Yes, its always when you see something and dont have the camera with you :oops: Can take years to get the same or better shot again and thats if your lucky. They were taken on a Canon 4.1mp Cyber-shot thats on its last legs, have to bang it to turn it on now and no editing :o Think it must be time for a new one, dont want to miss that 'Shot' because it will not turn on :blush:

I have a couple of pics that are my favourites,but i still like this one.

I had taken the camera to take some pics of a lake,and as i came out of a small wood,this doe was looking straight at me,with its fawn hidden behind it,i snapped a couple of pics,and stepped back into the wood,and it just ambled the other way with its fawn.

p1000014j.jpg

I just spent a bit of time searching for some shooting related photos but of the 1000s I've taken in the last few years I've hardly got any - certainly none worth posting. I'll certainly be making more of an effort to take a few shooting related photos from now on :good:.

Up until then these are two of my favourites, I couldn't narrow it down any further:

Orangetip.jpg

skomer3a.jpg

And because it is a shooting forum one average shot of the old mans dog:

llew.jpg

I just spent a bit of time searching for some shooting related photos but of the 1000s I've taken in the last few years I've hardly got any - certainly none worth posting. I'll certainly be making more of an effort to take a few shooting related photos from now on :good:.

Up until then these are two of my favourites, I couldn't narrow it down any further:

Orangetip.jpg

skomer3a.jpg

And because it is a shooting forum one average shot of the old mans dog:

llew.jpg

Stunning spaniel :good:

It has to be this. It was taken in Kenya in 2008 and I simply love how well it turned out. It was taken with film and thats always nice and it is honestly my favourite picture of a lion.

sc0023735e-2.jpg

Although this comes in a close second, taken in Zambia inn 2010 and its a light you just dont get outside of Africa.

DSC03356-1.jpg

George

Edited by groach1234