? Abouy sky hd

yankeedoodlepigeon

Hi all as I don't understand how it all works I was wondering at the moment I have sky hd and was looking to get another hd box off shmee bay for upstairs. First of all if I got one would it work in my house and if so would I have to connect it from the downstairs box or from the dish. I only had cable before so I know that they make the connection to your house active but this must be different for sky. is it? Thanks Lea

I have a couple of sky boxes, one hd and on the other sky plus, i think i am right in saying if you want the same package as your main box you will have to pay for multiroom (£10.00 per month on top of your normal) it you do not pay for multiroom i think you will just get the standard sky channels.

I have cables to each box from the dish, but you might be able to get a splitter or something. I would get a local engineer out to have a look at what he can do for you.

I have a couple of sky boxes, one hd and on the other sky plus, i think i am right in saying if you want the same package as your main box you will have to pay for multiroom (£10.00 per month on top of your normal) it you do not pay for multiroom i think you will just get the standard sky channels.

I have cables to each box from the dish, but you might be able to get a splitter or something. I would get a local engineer out to have a look at what he can do for you.

Hi,

If you want to use the HD functionality on the second box you also have to pay the £10 HD fee on top of the additional multiroom £10.. i did exactly what you are planning to do and that was the bit that pushed me over the edge as they wanted £80 a month for the 2 boxes functioning HD with all my channels.

Now with Virgin.

If you already have Sky HD then you should have 2 spare outputs on the LNB (bit at the front of the dish) so will just need 2 cables run from there to where the new box is located.

Jon.

Hi thanks for the replys. could I move my sky hd to the other room and get sky plus for the main room with no extra cost or would I still have to go down the multiroom thing? Thanks again

Yep, you can move it no problem. You would still need multiroom @ £10pm and they would send you an additional card, you would get the free to air channels without but the recording\pause + functionality won't work without the subscription.

Jon.

Hi,

If you want to use the HD functionality on the second box you also have to pay the £10 HD fee on top of the additional multiroom £10.. i did exactly what you are planning to do and that was the bit that pushed me over the edge as they wanted £80 a month for the 2 boxes functioning HD with all my channels.

Now with Virgin.

If you already have Sky HD then you should have 2 spare outputs on the LNB (bit at the front of the dish) so will just need 2 cables run from there to where the new box is located.

Jon.

Correct, any problems with SKY TV fellas, drop me a PM. I'm a SKY engineer working direct for sky :)

PS if you want multiroom both boxes must be permanently connected to a telephone line which allows both incoming and outgoing calls :)

Ok let's clear a few things up a sky box is a sat box with a card reader the card is paired to the box that is what gives you the sky channels opposed to the fat channels. If you want sky channels you need a sky box and card, £10 a month if you want to record sky on second box u need + or HD box, if u want HD you need HD box and £20 a month card, if you don't want sky you need a freeway box if you want to record you need a freeway PVr for Free HD you need a freeway HD box ( you can get ones that record HD)

Freeway dish is exactly same as a sky box dish only difference is a freeway box cannot get sky

I mean freesat not freeway sorry auto spell thing on my phone!!! :(

Edited by HDAV

LOL, I was going to correct you on the freeway stuff. You had me confused :)

Are you a sky engineer aswell???

If you can't get your answer off this thread PM me and I will give you my phone number and I will happily explain over the phone :)

Edited by John-B

No not a sky engineer, I'm a custom av installer but design large distribution systems for big houses with multiple central Hd boxes distributed to multiple rooms typically 3 PVR to 8 rooms in full HD + DVD servers etc typically fit 5x24 multiswitches for sat and UHF distribution just fitted 2km of cable to a 4 bed house ( that's about standard)

Edited by HDAV

If you want to be able to watch two different channels then yes, you need the multi-room package. If you want to watch the same Sky channel in every room you can do this by using the Magic Eye product which works through the aerial coax point. The ME product uses the 9v powered coax output from your Sky HD box and allows you to watch the same channel and also control the Sky box. It's ideal if you only want to watch the one channel. The downside is it's not HD.

If you want to run two TV's in HD from the one Sky HD box then you can use an HDMI splitter but it's best to use a powered one, not a cheapie. You'll have to run an HDMI cable to the second set to get HD.

I hope that helps.

Hanks.

No not a sky engineer, I'm a custom av installer but design large distribution systems for big houses with multiple central Hd boxes distributed to multiple rooms typically 3 PVR to 8 rooms in full HD + DVD servers etc typically fit 5x24 multiswitches for sat and UHF distribution just fitted 2km of cable to a 4 bed house ( that's about standard)

Nice, I'm starting to get involved with stuff like that now on the VIP team, bet the training is intense :)

Erm well I have dealt with a few VIP installers we take the boxes and send them back to the van had quite a few installs screwed up by "sky engineers" I have a HND and degree in electronics engineering.

No offence

Edited by HDAV