Hares ethical sub 12 ft lb

inshallah

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't, although lots of people do, saying that lots of people legally shoot fox with airguns and I'm not allowed to with my hmr :blink:

Hares are big animals, and as I've said I wouldn't risk it myself...although there is someone on here who shoots them out to 700 yards with an air pistol.

I have a new permission where hares are abundant. Is it ethical to shoot them with a sub 12 ft lb .22?

really, at the end of the day, your the only one that can answer that, you can split "shooters" into two, those that have RESPECT for their quarry and want a humaine kill, and those that just own any sort of weapon, and just want to kill stuff, Irrelivent of how it dies,

now as stated already by others, Ive known people that have admitted to killing fox with air rifles, yes it may work, but there will come a time when one pellet is not enough, and ten pellets later the animal is dead, no matter what is said on an internet forum about the rights and wrongs, you'll never change that "types" attitude towards killing, its all down to the individual and how they look upon themselves, true hunter or dont give a $hite type

I have a new permission where hares are abundant. Is it ethical to shoot them with a sub 12 ft lb .22?

1st i would like to ask for what reason do you need to shoot Hares ? 2nd A sub 12ft Airrifle is not the right tool for the job and for you to ask says it all, hares do not do much if any damage so the only reason to shoot one is for the table or to sell to the game dealer, as said respect your quarry :good:

really, at the end of the day, your the only one that can answer that, you can split "shooters" into two, those that have RESPECT for their quarry and want a humaine kill, and those that just own any sort of weapon, and just want to kill stuff, Irrelivent of how it dies,

now as stated already by others, Ive known people that have admitted to killing fox with air rifles, yes it may work, but there will come a time when one pellet is not enough, and ten pellets later the animal is dead, no matter what is said on an internet forum about the rights and wrongs, you'll never change that "types" attitude towards killing, its all down to the individual and how they look upon themselves, true hunter or dont give a $hite type

I don't think you've really understood the question that I asked. Sorry if my brief question was misleading. By asking if its 'ethical', what I'm really asking is 'if I put a pellet in the hare's brain, at my shooting distance of 25 yards, (derived from gun, pellet choice and my ability), just like I would a rabbit, will I get a clean kill and hence, is it ethical?'

There's no way on Earth I'd pull the trigger if I didn't think I had a really good shot.

A hare is not classed in the legal limit air-rifle list and therefore not up for the job in cleanly despatching one!

Please pardon my ignorance bullet boy, but I was not aware of the "Legal limit air-rifle list" and I would really appreciate a copy please. Could you send it to me at ***** please. Many thanks.

Edited by nickbeardo
removed private contact details

1st i would like to ask for what reason do you need to shoot Hares ? 2nd A sub 12ft Airrifle is not the right tool for the job and for you to ask says it all, hares do not do much if any damage so the only reason to shoot one is for the table or to sell to the game dealer, as said respect your quarry :good:

The reason was simply that I was chatted with the farmer this morning and it was his suggestion. He just pointed out a field to me and said that I might get a hare up there. I had a wander up and saw loads.

I don't think they're causing him any real problems, so it's not pest control, just one for the pot.

I've always been in the 'no' camp for hares. It's just that, as they are abundant, I was considering the possibility of taking one or two (no more!).

Still saving up for the shotgun, so my only option is my S310. If I can't be certain of a clean kill, that's the end of the matter, hence the question.

Please pardon my ignorance bullet boy, but I was not aware of the "Legal limit air-rifle list" and I would really appreciate a copy please. Could you send it to me at ***** please. Many thanks.

i believe he is referring to the BASC Air Rifle Code of Practice

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practice/air-rifles.cfm

which lists....

Principal quarry for air rifles

BIRDS: (covered by the general licences) crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons.

MAMMALS: brown rats, grey squirrels, stoats, mink and rabbits

i believe he is referring to the BASC Air Rifle Code of Practice

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practice/air-rifles.cfm

which lists....

Principal quarry for air rifles

BIRDS: (covered by the general licences) crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons.

MAMMALS: brown rats, grey squirrels, stoats, mink and rabbits

Yes. I'd read that. But also found another reference to say it was legal (although that won't convince me that it is ethical).

Off up to the permission in a few mins. I don't think I'll be shooting a hare 'though yet...

I know "inshallah" and he is a thoughtful,caring and most importantly a responsible person, as well as a shooter.

His question was to ensure, as always that he is doing things correctly, we could do with more people that ask the question before, rather after or not at all

bakerboy.

ps

David if ever you want to borrow a shotgun (now you have your certificate) give me a call.

Terry

I know "inshallah" and he is a thoughtful,caring and most importantly a responsible person, as well as a shooter.

His question was to ensure, as always that he is doing things correctly, we could do with more people that ask the question before, rather after or not at all

bakerboy.

ps

David if ever you want to borrow a shotgun (now you have your certificate) give me a call.

Terry

Thanks for your support Terry.

I'd like to have another day in the pigeons sometime if you're still doing it.

When I get a day off...

yup as said an airgun isn't the tool for the job, Hares are enough to nearly put you off shooting if you injure them badly as they scream and believe me you don't want to hear it. I shoot a fair few with the shotgun as we have hard drives after the shooting season and 32 grams of 4's does the job nicely.

So, back from the 'field of hares', and here's the story...

Within 2 minutes I saw my first hare, only about 25 yards away! I got on the ground and steadied the gun, crosshairs just under the ear...

And waited...

The hare started hopping towards me, happily feeding. It was getting closer and closer...

It must have got within 10 yards because the scope was out of focus by this time. I was chuckling to myself trying to think how much hold UNDER I'd need at this range.

I had the crosshairs on it for about 5 minutes in total.

Finally it saw/heard me and hopped away.

I saw another 9 hares, just on that little 15 acre field, and played 'stalk the hare' with them, just creeping up to them to see how close I could get and just watched them through the scope.

Didn't take a shot, but didn't come home empty handed. I had a lovely time. Great to see them.

They'll still be there tomorrow, or next week, or when I get a better gun.

I have and will shoot them with an air rifle if the range is correct. If not in range, then the rimfire is the tool. Do they need to be shot? On one of mine, yes they do. Not just a case of damage caused, but requested by the farmer. If you are after one for the pot, they make sure its done right first time. The nice thing about this forum is the different views. If everybody was the same...etc..etc..