Summer Weather.

Cranfield

Its been almost like Summer shooting, so far this week, our pigeons seem quite happy sitting in the trees and meadows most of the day and "courting".

It is quite difficult to find any concentrations of birds and I have been moving between fields ,travelling light for about 5-10 birds a day.

A friend who sat on a previously "hot" rape field, from 6.30am to 5pm, shot 3 birds (he only saw 3).

There seems to be an early and late feeding spell, with some light snacking in between.

"Early", seems to be between 6am and 9am, which is a bit awkward, where fields are near houses.

The warm, dry weather is supposed to break by Saturday, perhaps that will shake the pigeons up, although the "courting" can be a big distraction ( I seem to remember :unsure: ).

I knbow the feeling thats what it was like lasr Sat.

I was out yesterday just "looking" saw a few but they did not seem to be keen.

When is the best time for peas as a farmer is just about to put some in this weekend? :unsure:

:< Went for a look- see yesterday and didn,t bother getting the gear out of the motor after searching all the likely sites.

Saw nothing feeding and just one or two basking in the trees.

I know some people will say that it is an old wives tale that pigeons don,t fly out to feed when high pressure dominates the weather but i have found it to be the case hundreds of times now.

As far as i am concerned i wont be going out until we get a few days of low pressure with the associated wind and cloud that comes with it. :<

HEAR... HEAR...

The pigeons are having a really easy time over this last 12 days...

Good flights have been very hard to find, and when I thought I had found a good place, the shooting never really got going for any length of time...

Without doubt, high pressure sends signals to all creatures that easy times are here. Woodies are really fickle during high pressure, they fly around much higher than normal, they feed less, and they can be a devil to decoy...

Some of the fields where I have had clients recently should have produced great shooting, most of the time they turned out very acceptable, but I know what those places are capable of when they are on song...

KEEP A CHECK ON PREVIOUSLY DRILLED FIELDS...

Do not give up on fields that have seed still on them. I have said before, they will give you a day when the birds are really moving...

I have a drilled, well in fact, spun on and harrowed in bean field that has stacks of seed on top. I thought it would have give us a great day by now. Ten days later the birds have still not found it, this is very unusual for this particular area...

Let us all console ourselves with the thought...

If it was easy, it wouldn't present us with these testing challenges...

WOODIES 1 SHOOTERS 0

Shoot straight...

All the best...

GARY...