Poachers

Ritchie seems to have different poachers to the rest of us, we also have a mix of the gangs who you don't approach and the old guys who have been running dogs on hares for years. Pheasant poaching is pretty rare occasionally that will be youngsters with air guns but its not common. Most areas round us are now ditched and gated to stop them driving on as its the only way to stop them, you only have to look at drilled fields round here to see the wheelings going straight across crops and that is always dogmen as they don't care about damage. we even had one drive straight over a partridge pen a few years back as revenge for blocking his usual access onto the farm.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, i'm wrong.

They are all gangsters chasing Puss and Bambi round a field because that's where the big money is.

I will refrain from posting on threads where an opinion is asked in future.

However if you/your dog were to be "attacked" by these dogs either you or yourself then you would have a case for reporting them to the Police who would issue the Firearms to the incident?

The police do take a hard stance on Poaching and trespassing and will respond (well they do in our force area)

its quite funny in Herts they'll turn out to coursers no problem, yet when the keepers month old quad got nicked while we were shooting a fortnight ago they issued a crime number and haven't been yet.

Well i wont jump to the defense of every area / station but it does largely depend on the officer/s assigned.

Our Rural beat officers are very proactive and know their stuff! i cannot comment on Hitchin :(

Well some interesting replies.

Firstly its not me who will be doing the shooting. A friend in Scotland has been having trouble with scum coming onto his land and chasing deer and hare with running dogs. I was on the phone to him last week and he was seriously considering shooting the dogs the next time they come.

I was left wondering what the legal situation is.

Richie10 you seem to have some romantic notion of these people. They are all grown men who are renowned local criminals. They are thieving scum who have no right to be on the land. If I was in my mates shoes I would be giving them no slack at all and if that means the dogs get shot then so be it.

For various reasons I do not believe he will be assaulted by them or his property will be in danger. His thinking is kill a few of the dogs and it might get the message across not to bother coming back.

As for shooting deer and hare to get rid of them, that sticks in my throat. They are after all on his land and are therefore legally his.

Well some interesting replies.

Firstly its not me who will be doing the shooting. A friend in Scotland has been having trouble with scum coming onto his land and chasing deer and hare with running dogs. I was on the phone to him last week and he was seriously considering shooting the dogs the next time they come.

I was left wondering what the legal situation is.

Richie10 you seem to have some romantic notion of these people. They are all grown men who are renowned local criminals. They are thieving scum who have no right to be on the land. If I was in my mates shoes I would be giving them no slack at all and if that means the dogs get shot then so be it.

For various reasons I do not believe he will be assaulted by them or his property will be in danger. His thinking is kill a few of the dogs and it might get the message across not to bother coming back.

As for shooting deer and hare to get rid of them, that sticks in my throat. They are after all on his land and are therefore legally his.

Do what you want. If you know them then send the police to send a letter or visit them and let them know that

they are being watched.

Why come on here then if your minds made up and indeed intend to do it. You asked for the consequences we gave them to you, you either listen or you don't.

It's not your personal problem and at the end of the day it's no real problem for the deer or hares, their overall population won't suffer.

What is the point of the post if you don't listen to the answer?

Edited by Richie10

Do what you want. If you know them then send the police to send a letter or visit them and let them know that

they are being watched.

Why come on here then if your minds made up and indeed intend to do it. You asked for the consequences we gave them to you, you either listen or you don't.

It's not your personal problem and at the end of the day it's no real problem for the deer or hares, their overall population won't suffer.

What is the point of the post if you don't listen to the answer?

Don't quite understand your attitude chap. Have you got running dogs yourself or have you never been on the receiving end of hassle from some tosspot driving all over your fields in a pickup or finding deer with their backsides ripped out and left for dead? You can't justify it in anyway. Wrong is wrong wether kids do it or gangs of betting ******. Are you saying its ok? Seems to me that you don't like your 'answer' challenged. Try and keep it civil if you can.

Fortune it seems a simple option but will be far from simple in practice. The likelihood of loosing his SGC and FAC if he has one is very high. It is illegal to do unless they are coursing sheep or farm animals and isn't worth doing. Matters not that they are breaking the law but his only recourse is the plod or stopping them gaining access to the land by vehicle. These sorts don't like walking so he needs to do everything to make sure they are, if they are using a vehicle get the reg number and keep reporting it. Round us I believe if they are used in crime 3 times they can be seized but really he needs to get his rural officer out and get their help to sort it out, that and liase with other local farmers and keepers is the only way to stop it

Don't quite understand your attitude chap. Have you got running dogs yourself or have you never been on the receiving end of hassle from some tosspot driving all over your fields in a pickup or finding deer with their backsides ripped out and left for dead? You can't justify it in anyway. Wrong is wrong wether kids do it or gangs of betting ******. Are you saying its ok? Seems to me that you don't like your 'answer' challenged. Try and keep it civil if you can.

Deer with their **** eaten out comes from foxes afterwards, you will see the same thing on sheep that have died on the hill. Would you let a dog run on a full stomach or have you never owned a dog?

Most of this thread is based on assumptions.

The guy asked for the legal answer and then bangs on about about shooting them anyway. Read my reply I said in no other terms but 'go ahead'.

As for challenging my answer, ask a lawyer to see if I am not correct.

So yet again Al4x you are back analysing my posts. Do you want to go back through the archives again to find some old posts? You obviously have a chip on your shoulder because I don't have the same answers as you?

Al4x you should keep off this chaps land if your dog is catching foxes and hares as you quoted, it could get shot aswell!

Shoot the dogs Fortune82, if it makes you happy.

Edited by Richie10

Deer with their **** eaten out comes from foxes afterwards, you will see the same thing on sheep that have died on the hill. Would you let a dog run on a full stomach or have you never owned a dog?

Most of this thread is based on assumptions.

The guy asked for the legal answer and then bangs on about about shooting them anyway. Read my reply I said in no other terms but 'go ahead'.

As for challenging my answer, ask a lawyer to see if I am not correct.

Richie10 it sounds like something has touched a nerve. Are you prone to a bit of poaching yourself? The foxes eat the deers **** after what? After they die of old age? Yeah the countryside is full of deer that have just keeled over in the middle of fields!

Alx4 thanks for the advice regarding vehicles. As far as Im aware all entrances ect are blocked and he has taken a few bridges down across streams etc.

If he has gone to those lengths then he'll know from the tracks if they are getting in by vehicle, if they are't then they will be parking one nearby if he can find that then its easy to make them walk home ;) poachers never want to walk far especially if they are on deer and have one to carry. Good luck as he will need it just suggest the dog thing is a bad idea, a good friends dad a fair while back was being terrorised by kids on motorbikes riding all across crops got no police help and in the end during a ruck with them while he was out shooting took a pot shot at a crash helmet that was lying on the ground. His went through county court and onto crown court before they dismissed the case and apart from the expense he doesn't need the stress. used to be an avid shooter and hasn't shot since and that is one of the least aggressive farmers I know.

Richie10 it sounds like something has touched a nerve. Are you prone to a bit of poaching yourself? The foxes eat the deers **** after what? After they die of old age? Yeah the countryside is full of deer that have just keeled over in the middle of fields!

Alx4 thanks for the advice regarding vehicles. As far as Im aware all entrances ect are blocked and he has taken a few bridges down across streams etc.

I've been caught out! It's a fair cop. I will come quietly...

Maybe the deer do die in your area where they have contracted TB or starved because of lack of food where your mate isn't controlling them. Maybe in is in league with the LACS and share their management programme?

I have already told you that you should speak to the police and they can have a quiet word in the culprits ears. You have already said that you knew who they were.

Edited by Richie10

I've been caught out! It's a fair cop. I will come quietly...

Maybe the deer do die in your area where they have contracted TB or starved because of lack of food where your mate isn't controlling them. Maybe in is in league with the LACS and share their management programme?

I have already told you that you should speak to the police and they can have a quiet word in the culprits ears. You have already said that you knew who they were.

Ha Ha very funny! They are controlled just not eradicated in a bid to stop poaching scum!

funnily enough out beating at the weekend and it seems like we had a little incident just down the road last sunday. 6 Irish blokes with dogs and a 4x4 coursing locally had a good police response helicopter included dumped the 4x4 and dogs and got nicked on the closest road protesting their innocence. Seems like they bailed them and that night they went back and trashed the release pens feeders and drove through all the cover crops flattening as much as possible and the worst bit though they got nicked on that ground that landowner didn't call the police.

Between that and also hearing that the same weekend the quad went they also had another 5 from the area just shows how careful you need to be when dealing with do as you likeys

shoot the dogs its not there fault but its the only way ill hazard aguess that the scum who are running them wont even stop to pick them up never mind reporting you for doing it as for mainly young lads with no permissions bo***x i thought it was illegal to course game and deer in the first place it aint no wonder they have no permission