Sign in to follow this  
JonD

CPSA Safety Officer Course

Hi All,

I'm doing the safety officers course on Saturday and just wondering if anyone has any advice about what to expect.

Cheers,

Jon.

I did it at Bisley earlier this year. 40/40 in the written exam...top of the class :D

As others have said, mainly common sense, most of the answers are covered in the classroom session, the rest you will know anyway if you have a few year's experience clay shooting and have soaked up a bit of the knowledge on this site. It is pretty well paced, and you will pick up some interesting practical info on running a shooting ground / club / business. Nothing too heavy, quite a fun day really. If you fail, you shouldn't own a shotgun never mind be a safety officer. You will spend some time outside on the practical sessions though so dress appropriately. Good luck...

All common sense and quite basic stuff. Best thing is that they won`t let you fail, they will help you.

Three of the guys on my course were not very good but with help from us others and the tutors, they sailed through. :yes:

Cheers All,

Enjoyed the course, some interesting things learnt and well presented. The outdoor bit was bloody freezing though :(

39\40 on the exam so passed :)

Jon.

Diceman,

Well done, excellent result. :yes:

As a matter of interest, who organised this course?

Cat.

CPSA Safety Courses are arranged by the SE Region CPSA Committee.

This has a Technical Representative ( thats me in the SE - each CPSA region has one) - responsible for all courses in the region and safety audits, layout registration etc.

In the SE we have a team of Senior Tutors working with me, and Paul Rendell is the Senior Safety officer organising the Bisley run Safety courses, as well as Referees courses in the SE Region.

I run Competency, Instructor Development Workshop (L1), Coach Development Workshop (L2) and Level One Instructor modules. Level two modules and all assessments for multi-day courses are arranged nationally through HQ.