staining/dyeing the wood

bindi

can anyone recommend a good wood dye/stain.

I now have stock in bare wood (or almost there) and it's smooth as a baby's bottom and I am now ready to bring out the graining/figuring.

I am looking for a really good wood dye that will do the job, before I start with the oil finish.

I don't mind paying to get the best brand. Desired colour is dark european walnut (if such a colour exists)

Any tips. :(

I'll take a few pics along the way, and then at the end you'll see what sort of a job i've done. It'll be a pig's ear or a beauty, but which one.

post-19-1139506350.jpg

Edited by bindi

I definitely would like a really dark rich colour.

I have tried wetting the wood (and it does go darker) but still not the right colour colour for me.

I know that some are better than others for lifting the wood grain,

any tips??

thanks

bindi

bindi,

My prefference is to let the wood speak for itself, and not to artificially enhance its natural colour and graining. Remeber that the wood if oiled finished will with age naturaly darken.

But if you do want the quik fix, then the Birchwood Caseys walnut stain is good.

I normaly dilute it 60% stain 40% water, remember you can always add more coats to achive your desired colour, but you can't take it off.

Good luck with your project.

silvertop

Bindi sorry im late in here, question is that a browning stock ??

i have posted pics of mine a while back all my stocks i do myself and finish with this

http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/tungoil.htm

never had a problem ,and the result is superb

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...64&hl=the+twins

i think so anyway, good luck with your gun

Martin

Bindi sorry im late in here, question is that a browning stock ??

i have posted pics of mine a while back all my stocks i do myself and finish with this

http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/tungoil.htm

never had a problem ,and the result is superb

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...64&hl=the+twins

i think so anyway, good luck with your gun

Martin

Hi,

its a Beretta stock for a 682, or at least that's what I was told, but I don;t have a stock key yet to check it on my beretta.

cheers

Mark

My appoligise Silvertop for giving mis-information about a surface coating application. I though we were given advice as to a good quality high end performance aqueous dispersion polymer with a low VOC which would be suitbale for fine quality hard woods

Bloody ell I 'm telling Bindi to but fence paint on his precious walnut :D:D

Must be the head cold

Jonno

Edited by jonno 357

thanks for comps Nick :D , pat yourself on the back there buddy , you did a bang up job on that stock of yours too, me i still have to finish the chequering on the second stock, the first one is done though, i hate flamin palm swells :< .

good luck anyway bindi :D:D

jonno :lol::lol: B) killer son :lol:

Martin

me i still have to finish the chequering on the second stock, the first one is done though, i hate flamin palm swells :< .

the stock i will be putting on my new rifle will have no chequering, a bit of a mixed blessing, but my god am i looking forward to not having to fiddle around with chequering.

everyone in the house woundered where their tooth brushes went when i was doing my stock. i stole them all and wore them out trying to get everylast bit of varnish out of those ******** pistol grips :D

thank god for nitromorse :D

me i still have to finish the chequering on the second stock, the first one is done though, i hate flamin palm swells  :< .

the stock i will be putting on my new rifle will have no chequering, a bit of a mixed blessing, but my god am i looking forward to not having to fiddle around with chequering.

everyone in the house woundered where their tooth brushes went when i was doing my stock. i stole them all and wore them out trying to get everylast bit of varnish out of those ******** pistol grips :lol:

thank god for nitromorse :D

:lol: B) :D;)

sorry Nick got me freddss muddlleedd uupp , been sniffin battery acid to long, though the cops say i should be charged in the morning :D:D:lol:

Martin

My appoligise Silvertop for giving mis-information about a surface coating application. I though we were given advice as to a good quality high end performance aqueous dispersion polymer with a low VOC which would be suitbale for fine quality hard woods

Bloody ell I 'm telling Bindi to but fence paint on his precious walnut :lol::P

Must be the head cold

Jonno

jonno

Even with the sarcastic intonation apology accepted.

But, if you had read bindi's initial post carefully, he wishes to oil finish the stock, you were advising him to apply a coating the like of which he has probably spent days removing, and which in my opion is more suited to a fence than a gun stock

silvertop : :P:beer:

Bloody ell I 'm telling Bindi to but fence paint on his precious walnut :beer::beer:

Must be the head cold

Jonno

Jonno i think its that bird in your avarat she's ******** your brains out :P:lol::P:P:beer: B) :*)

Bloody ell I 'm telling Bindi to but fence paint on his precious walnut B)  B) 

Must be the head cold

Jonno

Jonno i think its that bird in your avarat she's ******** your brains out :D:lol::P:P:beer: B) :*)

Too right Mike. Head went years ago. Too much inhalation of Volitile Organic Compounds in fence stainers :beer::D:beer::D:P:D

Jonno

• 2 weeks later...