Whats your poison?

The Duncan

What's your poison?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What brand(s) or air rifle pellets do you use?

.177 Air Arms Prosport springer:- Pellets of choice are JSB Exacts 8.44g for all round hunting, just got some 7.33g JSB RS to try, Air Arms Fields nearly as good as JSB, and Accupells are as accurate if a little too hard for hunting. For rats its Norica Killers - unbelievable stopping power on small vermin.

.22 SMK XS36:- JSB Exact or Air Arms Fields.

Edited by UKPoacher

You've just got to remember that companies like Air Arms and Daystate buy their pellets in from other companies. AA Fields are made by JSB and Daystate buy some types from JSB and other types from PAX. Similarly Logun and FX buy in their pellets, and of course SMK Thunderbolts are made by Pax.

There are a lot of re-badged pellets about. Some sold at a premium over the manufacturer's own brand prices.

cheap pellets for cheap guns - .22 eley wasps - .177 eley wasps or marksman

I used to get pretty impressive results from those Wasps in my old Webley Mk III.

UKPoacher - can you let us know what you make of the 7.33gr JSB RS please? I am curious as to whether the trajectory will be even flatter and if the effects of wind will be markedly increased.

Even though I feel my AA Field (admittedly rebadged JSB's) are the ultimate pellet for my HW100s, but if there's something possibly better, I'll always try it.

Cheers

D

I used to get pretty impressive results from those Wasps in my old Webley Mk III.

UKPoacher - can you let us know what you make of the 7.33gr JSB RS please? I am curious as to whether the trajectory will be even flatter and if the effects of wind will be markedly increased.

Even though I feel my AA Field (admittedly rebadged JSB's) are the ultimate pellet for my HW100s, but if there's something possibly better, I'll always try it.

Cheers

D

I'm awaiting a V-Mach kit for the Prosport at the moment. Once it is back together, middle of next week hopefully, I'll be trying them out.

If your HW100 is .177 calibre then try JSB Exacts in 4.52. They just had the edge over AA Fields in my 2009 HW100S. Admittedly Accupells were also impressivly accurate, as were Crosman Premiers, but you get more 'smack' for your money with softer pellets, and they seem to perform well in any rifle.

I'm awaiting a V-Mach kit for the Prosport at the moment. Once it is back together, middle of next week hopefully, I'll be trying them out.

If your HW100 is .177 calibre then try JSB Exacts in 4.52. They just had the edge over AA Fields in my 2009 HW100S. Admittedly Accupells were also impressivly accurate, as were Crosman Premiers, but you get more 'smack' for your money with softer pellets, and they seem to perform well in any rifle.

V-Mach, nice! That will be a good tweak, especially after a tin or so of pellets have gone through it. Should be very sweet. In fact I was toying with the idea of getting a 97K and V-Mach'ing it.

I'll get hold of some JSB's as you recommend - not that AA field are doing bad - in still conditions they cloverleaf off the bipod out to 45 yards (as long as I'm 'in tune') from the HW100, so if they edge that - fabulous!

Do you find the Crosmans a bt of a dirty pellet? I ran mine with them briefly, they seemed to foul my barrel quite a lot more than other brands.

I lube my pellets with whichever propriety pellet lube (napier at the mo) I have.

And how about Champion Ballistics! little ball bearing inside and decidedly inconsistent poi anybody? When I was young, dumb and full of bright ideas I thought these had to be brilliant! How little I knew (all that hard hitting macho-ness would only be any good if it could hit the target).

Cripes! I didn't even know what trajectory was back then :blush:

When I was a lad, I was guilty of using the Prometheus hunting pellets. Seemed like a good idea, those little plastic jacketed steel death deliverers... :lol:

They whistled so much in flight, the drag on them was incredible. Never hit a fudging thing with them. When I ran out I had to use some Webley Wasps, horrible looking little things. But suddenly the odd bird would actually fall dead from one of my shots, and this time it wasn't from laughter.......