R.I.P. Jigy

GREENGRASS

I have not posted for a while as my trusted companion Jigy had been poorly for some time.

Hence booked at the vets for Friday 26th November 15:00hrs. Hole dug on Thursdsay afternoon and Friday morning. A very long drive to the vets or at least it seemed it and even longer coming home in a very quiet car.

I knew his time was up but kept him going for as long as possible. However its takes a very good friend to take you to one side and say enough is enough and I have such a friend.

I know I have done the right thing but why do I feel so bad. Even the neighbours have had tears in their eyes. So did the vet who had always treated Jigy from giving him his first injections as a pup to the last.

My wife and daughters where with me when I put him to rest. My daughters had written down some of their thoughts and memories of Jigy. Which they read aloud as we all stood round his grave.

When they had finished they placed the messages into a container with some of their favourite personal things for Jigy to remember them. It’s the first time my daughters had ever seen their Dad cry.

The wife had brought one of my shotguns and we both fired a shot off to send him on his way.

Thanks for reading

GG.

Edited by GREENGRASS

feel for you mate,one of my labs is 12yrs old his time is nearly up.it will be a terrible day when it arrives and plenty of tears will flow,but we do what we can for our best friends as that is what they are as well as family.i dread digging for him but its a certain fact that it will come.think of all the good times you,ve had together.

If it should be that I grow weak,

and pain should keep me from my sleep;

Then you must do what must be done,

for this last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand;

but don't let grief then stay your hand.

For this day more than all the rest,

your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years;

what is to come can hold no fears.

You don't want me to suffer, so,

the time has come, please let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend,

but please stay with me 'til the end.

To hold me close and speak to me,

until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time you will agree,

it was a kindness done for me.

Although my tail, its last has waved,

from pain and suffering I'm saved.

Please do not grieve that it was you,

who had this painful thing to do.

We've been so close, we two, these years;

don't let your heart hold any tears.

Lovely Dog Greengrass. You did right by him.... ;)

You gave him a happy life and kept him fed, watered and cared for throughout and in the end you did right by him. It's understandable to feel sadness at the loss, but in time that will pass and you'll have the fond memories of a trusted companion and days well spent. RIP Jigy, and condolences to you and yours GG.

Sad news GG, it's incredibly hard letting a dog go but in time you'll remember the good times. Since I lost my first Springer all my other dogs haven't quite had that little bit of magic that you get with a particular or first dog. I think John Batley wrote in a book once a phrase that roughly translates from arabic(?)as follows.............

When your first dog dies, it leaves a hole so big in your heart that all others fall through......very true, keep your chin up!

Edited by ziplex

Sad day when you have this happen, as pet ownwers we take great responsibility for our animals and give them the best care and treatnment, and as owners we know that one day we may have to make one of the hardest decisions in our lives, but none of us are ever truly ready for it or the emotions that it brings, take comfort in that he had a good life, enjoyed being with you, you did the best for him, and will be missed but never forgotten.

The pain of losing them does get better with time.

I have lost 3 of my animals over the past 3 months, so can appreciate how you are feeling.

Rip Jigy

Here's something i found on the net

...I've lived my life and done my best, an example tried to be.

So can I take that step beyond, and set my spirit free?

I didn't want to go at first, I fought with all my might.

But something seems to draw me now to a warm and living light.

I want to go, I really do; it's difficult to stay.

But I will try as best I can to live just one more day.

To give you time to care for me and share your love and fears.

I know you're sad and afraid, because I see your tears.

I'll not be far, I promise that, and hope you'll always know,

That my spirit will be close to you wherever you may go.

Thank you so for loving me. You know I love you too,

And that's why it's hard to say goodbye and end this life with you.

So hold me now just one more time and let me hear you say,

Because you care so much for me, you'll let me go today.

Edited by wingnut

My thoughts and sympathies are with you mate. My Jack Russell 'Cas' turned 14 this week. She's not a 'working' dog, but a very spoilt one!

She's still running around like an idiot, chasing paper etc, but I can see that she is slowing down.

I'll be absolutely gutted when her time comes to an end. I only hope I get up one morning and find her 'gone' in her sleep. If I have to take her to the vets to have her put down, then I will, although that task will be very hard to do.

You did the right thing by doing this, and you'll always have fond memories of him.

R.I.P. Jigy.

Steve.