Daylight Foxes

Cranfield

I am seeing a lot of foxes out in daylight this Spring,more than ever before.

These are not "released townies", but obviously wild foxes.

The are confident of where they are and any "threatening" moves, means they disappear.

I watched one today, from a distance, which appeared to scrape a hole and defecate (like a cat).

I didn,t realise that they did this, or was I mistaken ?

Personal hygiene is not a subject that most foxes seem interested in - you can smell where one has been for hours afterwards, and if we humans can smell it, just imagine how it must reek to other animals with a much more refined nasal capacity...!!!

It's funny how you never seem to see one close up when you've got a gun in your hand, but they pop out all over the place when you're unarmed...!!! :unsure:

With the weather we have been having recently it does not suprise me you have been seeing quite a few foxes in the daytime.

i have found there are 2 situations when you get a lot of foxes above ground

These are after a very cold night when the foxes have not left the earths due to how cold it is so you see alot about from first light all the way through till dinner searching for a much needed snack you can account for alot of foxes if you go out with the rifle early morning after a very cold night due to this.

The other is when it is really hot i tend to see alot of foxes kind of sunbathing making the most of the weather

you can also shoot alot of foxes when the weathers like this if you go out with the shotgun and walk around the edge of a wood in the middle of the day especially if there is long grass ot crop around it about knee height.Sometimes you can walk quietly right up to within 10yrds of the fox before it realises you are there.

A mate of mine has just shot the most inquisitive fox I've ever seen. Not 3 hours ago we were shooting rabbits that have been demolishing a customers garden. After dusk had been and gone I asked my customer if he wanted to look over the road in the field where the rabbits have been comming from. We had put the rifle in the van by this point. I put the lamp over the field and not a rabbit to be seen. I was just saying it looked a good spot for a fox and decided to have a squeak off the back of my hand. Within seconds a fox appeared, my mate ran 80 yards for his rifle while i stood squeaking, my customer who we were shooting for begun talking and the fox ran off a bit. By the time my mate got back with the gun the fox was out of sight. I decided to try another squeak and sure enough the fox came back and even closer, it was dropped instantly much to the amazement of my townie customer who had spooked it.

There was also anther two foxes about but these were out of range and a bit wiser.