new gun

telf

Hi

Cleaning and running in a .17, I was advised to clean every 5 shots, dont allow the barrel to get hot, after 200 shots clean after 10, 200 more then 25, it means having your bore snake with you at all times but thats not a bad habit to get into, bit of a B acher when zeroing but well worth it.

If you have not used one before be prepared for an amazing experience, I have had some unbelievable head shots, spot on accurate at distances over 100m where a .22 is wishfull thinking.

Avoid body shots or the meat is paste and scrambled bone

All the best for your forthcomming enjoyment.

Frank

Hi

Cleaning and running in a .17, I was advised to clean every 5 shots, dont allow the barrel to get hot, after 200 shots clean after 10, 200 more then 25, it means having your bore snake with you at all times but thats not a bad habit to get into, bit of a B acher when zeroing but well worth it.

If you have not used one before be prepared for an amazing experience, I have had some unbelievable head shots, spot on accurate at distances over 100m where a .22 is wishfull thinking.

Avoid body shots or the meat is paste and scrambled bone

All the best for your forthcomming enjoyment.

Frank

Each to their own and best of luck to you if you want to use a bore snake on a .17.

I think the bore snake is about the worst possible thing to make some vain attempt to clean a .17 barrel with, and even more so with a brand new barrel where it is absolutely vital to remove ALL copper and powder etc. deposits!!

How do you clean a bolt, action, breech, crown, etc with a bore snake, and come to that, how do you actually get a barrel clean with a bore snake? :hmm::good:

Each to their own and best of luck to you if you want to use a bore snake on a .17.

I think the bore snake is about the worst possible thing to make some vain attempt to clean a .17 barrel with, and even more so with a brand new barrel where it is absolutely vital to remove ALL copper and powder etc. deposits!!

How do you clean a bolt, action, breech, crown, etc with a bore snake, and come to that, how do you actually get a barrel clean with a bore snake? :hmm::good:

cheers,if not a boresnake what other methods are recomended

cheers,if not a boresnake what other methods are recomended

This has been discussed several times and there is a lot of history about bore snakes on this site, many like them, I struggle to understand why, I don't.....certainly not as a one stop cleaning shop anyway!

The debate will rage on but you need solvents, oils, scrubbers, patches and a first rate rod for a .17, a bore guide would also be useful! General small brushes are also useful.

There's a thread running on Snipers hide that's about Objective test on barrel break-in.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1562996

or you can try this ..

http://yarchive.net/gun/barrel/break_in.html

Whichever way you go get a good rod. and proper rod guide cos damage to the throat and crown doesn't help accuracy.

I'd rather shoot than clean so the Gale McM method seems a reasonable way for me.

But like all instructions you choose what works for you, because that is absolutely the best way to do it... enjoy your new gun

Edited by seeker

There's a thread running on Snipers hide that's about Objective test on barrel break-in.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1562996

or you can try this ..

http://yarchive.net/gun/barrel/break_in.html

Whichever way you go get a good rod. and proper rod guide cos damage to the throat and crown doesn't help accuracy.

I'd rather shoot than clean so the Gale McM method seems a reasonable way for me.

But like all instructions you choose what works for you, because that is absolutely the best way to do it... enjoy your new gun

thanks for the advice everyone will have a look on those threads and take it from there