Winchester 101

fortune82

A few years ago I made a rash decision and traded my 101 XTR sporter in for a SXS. Anyway after several years of frustration I have decided to go back to a good old 101.

Basically what are the differences between a 5500, 6500 and 8500?

Is there any faults, wear points I should specifically look for on a 101? I know about ejector cracks and loosness when closed etc.

Also are there any gun dealers renowned for carrying a stock of these guns?

I know of heritage guns in Dorset but thats a bit of a treck from Yorkshire.

Thanks

Edited by fortune82

Go and post on the Winchester Forum, a wealth of knowledge on there.

Guntrader is a good starting point in the UK. I traded an immaculate 101 Supergrade a couple of years ago to Swillington it was a beauty. I was shooting a Model 23 SBS, the 101 and a Browning semi and wanted to get back to shooting one gun a 30 inch O/U and the 101 was 28 inch. I know they get a few through their hands and are good to deal with in my experience.

Hi, I also am a winchester fan.

The 5500 was a game/sporter model, it has a lowish comb and 28" or 30" barrels.

The 6500 was available as a trap or sporting clays model, 28" 30" and 32" barrels, the sporter had a highish comb with the trap variant higher and with a wider fore-end. Also available as a 6500 mk2 with lghter barrels.

The 8500 was a trap gun, high comb, wider fore-end and some had ported barrels of 30" or 32". 5500 and 6500 were available multichoke or fixed with 70mm chambers, the 8500 had the bottom barrel multichoked with a fixed full choke top.

Great guns. As you've said ejector hammers can crack and also check the firing pins for createring. Guntrader is a good place to start looking, also, pop in to any gunshops you pass as you never know whats been part-exchanged.

I've just picked up a 6500 30" sporting clays from my local gunshop after just popping in for some cartidges and having a nose round. Good luck looking!