shotgun barrel lengths-the law

masterzone2

Hi guys

I think I may have missed something here.

section 1 (FAC) shotguns from what I can tell should to be min 24" barrel and min 40" long

Correct.

So why is it

1. I read people on here having shotguns with a short barrels example some guy claims a 19" barrel shotgun

(note I said shotgun NOT rifle/double rifle)

And after checking the Suffolk police web page on firearms (I needed there phone number) it stated about shotguns laws

saying for section 2 you need at least a 24" barrel

for less you need an FAC with shotgun on it.

Now excuse me for asking however reading such Information on the web site of the people who are in charge of

Firearms issuing etc (also I have seen an FAC pump shotgun with 23 1/2" barrel for sale on gun trader from an RFD)

So with all that can someone set this all straight-dont go asking bloody why you want a less than **" barrel because "I" this that and the bloody other.

One lot saying one thing another lot saying another- no wonder the general public has issues with shooters

how are they meant to understand if we Licence holders has problems do the same.

You're right, minimum 24" on SGC + FAC. Shorter then 24" would be prohibited and only issued for an extremely good reason or not at all.

Americans on the other hand are allowed 18" with no licence and if I'm right I think a shorter barrel then that would require a SBS short barrel permit.

Either way you won't see anyone shooting clays/vermin with one in the UK.

Edited by Shuck.

SGC it barrel needs to be 24 inches or more.

Section 1 pump and semi has to be 24 inches or more

Section 1 , but a single barrel or SxS U/O can be less than 24 inches and can "I think" be the same as a rifle, so 300 mm barrels and 600 mm overall length.

Neil.

Edited by Hornet 6

Section 1 , but a single barrel or SxS U/O can be less than 24 inches and can "I think" be the same as a rifle, so 300 mm barrels and 600 mm overall length.

Neil.

And bingo was his nameo! :good:

Mark

:blush:

Neil.

I had no idea, I was always told minimum 24" full stop.

Sorry for the misinformation MZ, you're right about it not being very clear :oops:

Thanks for the info Hornet :blush:

Guys,

If you really want to complicate the issue ... the 24" barrel law apparently, doesn't apply to bolt action or lever action shotguns either. So, you could have a Norinco or Winchester 1887 with a 20" barrel!

I also know of a "short barrel" double currently been sold by an RFD - it's about 20"-21" and on FAC - just need to show you 'need' it!!

Rgds

Andy

And that is a shotgun not a "rifled" shotgun.

so Really the sawn of shotgun isn't illegal its just like a hi cap pump/semi you need to give them a reason why

you require one.

So where the bloody hell would you use a sub 24" barrel shotgun other than a combat situation.

Taking part in End of Trail or Action shooting comps. No idea where there are any in the UK though

Mark

Edited by Breastman

There is something called "cowboy action shooting" where short barrelled "coach" guns are used coach guns are really lovely looking things, basically a SxS Hammer gun used to protect mail coaches in the past from robbers/highwaymen

This is the sort of **** that will give all the antis what they need to atack the current gun laws .

Shotguns are tools for hunting not toys for playing 'Cowboys' - these chaps should get a video game to play at killing the bad guys!

This is the sort of **** that will give all the antis what they need to atack the current gun laws .

Shotguns are tools for hunting not toys for playing 'Cowboys' - these chaps should get a video game to play at killing the bad guys!

Shooting sports are a very broad church. A far bigger danger than the antis , is shooters themselves adopting a "my style of shooting is more legitimate than yours" attitude. Why shouldn't a shotgun be used for something enjoyable, as long as it's safe, rather than just being a "tool"? By your definition even clay shooting wouldn't be allowed :rolleyes: End of trail shooting is not my thing, but a world where it exists is a more colourful one. When all kinds of shooting but your shotgun hunting are banned, don't expect much support from any of your ex fellow shooters when they finally come to take your guns.

Actually a "Coach Gun" would be good for walked up rabbits.

Nice fast handling, light to carry and I think I feel a variation coming on :lol:

Neil.

Baikal made a replica in the 60's available with 24" barrels so Sect 2 I quite fancy one myself, rabbit from inside a vehicle may just be enough to get a 19"

• 2 years later...

A friend called round yesterday to show me one of his guns. It was by a fine English gunmaker from Birmingham and the barrels were 24 1/2'' long. They were made that length and had not been tampered with. The chokes were cylinder and improved cylinder.

A friend called round yesterday to show me one of his guns. It was by a fine English gunmaker from Birmingham and the barrels were 24 1/2'' long. They were made that length and had not been tampered with. The chokes were cylinder and improved cylinder.

Great Skeet gun !

• 7 years later...
On 02/12/2010 at 10:30, Steel100 said:

Guys,

If you really want to complicate the issue ... the 24" barrel law apparently, doesn't apply to bolt action or lever action shotguns either. So, you could have a Norinco or Winchester 1887 with a 20" barrel!

I also know of a "short barrel" double currently been sold by an RFD - it's about 20"-21" and on FAC - just need to show you 'need' it!!

Rgds

Andy

Yes and a bolt action or underlever on fac1. Needs to be no shorter than 12.5 inches. Crazy. But true. You can have a coach gun shotgun with a 20" barrel. It's all nuts. Happy shopping.