bolt action vs semi auto

leeds chimp

i have a ruger 22lr semi auto its mint with no probs esey to work esey to clean

fires 10 rounds 1 after another with no probs no puling bolt back all the time and mine groups realy well

i was out yesterday to rabbits sitting out side the hole got them both and head shots

love this gun better than messing around with the bolt try and get a try of these guns

and see wot you like the best

My first rf was a Remi' Speedmaster,lovely bit of kit.Shot hundreds od bunnies with it.So long as you cover the heater vents in your vehicles dash before you start shooting from the passenger seat!Great fun. :yes:

Took me a while to figure out what you were getting at there - got it in the end tho. :P

i have a ruger 22lr semi auto its mint with no probs esey to work esey to clean

fires 10 rounds 1 after another with no probs no puling bolt back all the time and mine groups realy well

i was out yesterday to rabbits sitting out side the hole got them both and head shots

love this gun better than messing around with the bolt try and get a try of these guns

and see wot you like the best

Unfortunately my experience has been the reverse.

I had a couple of 10/20's (must be really dim) and both were nowhere near as accurate as any decent bolt action and both drove me mad with jams just when you don't need them. People spend huge amounts of dosh upgrading (?) their 10/20's with different triggers and barrels when any off the shelf bolt action will beat them hands down.

For the money you will not beat a CZ. If you have a large budget get an Anchutz or Sako as the triggers are better and they are more accurate.

The only joy in a semi is the quick cycling rate (boys toys), but out in the field you just don't need it.

Don

Semi's ara a lot more fun, had a couple of them. Up to say 40yards, you'll hit your quarry with either, beyond that, the extra accuracy of a bolt action makes quite a difference.

It all depends on the gun though, like someone has said, a cz bolt action with a floated barrel (easy to do) and a trigger kit (easy and cheap) will result in a rifle you can take grapes with at 100 yards.

None of the semi's I've had could do that, they were more fun to shoot though.

I'm sorry, but most of what I've read is rubbish.

The main difference between a Semi and a Bolt action is, at 50 yards, a good bolt action will have a 5 shot group within a circle the size of a 5 pence piece, where as a Semi will do the same within 2 pence piece.

The main advantage of bolt actions of semi's, is the same of springers over PCP air-rifles. Simplicity - problems are less frequent and easier (and cheaper) to fix.

The one thing I will say about Semi-auto's is always check the trigger pull stiffness before you buy, as they can be troublesome to loosen.

Edited by Bleeh

I'm sorry, but most of what I've read is rubbish.

The main difference between a Semi and a Bolt action is, at 50 yards, a good bolt action will have a 5 shot group within a circle the size of a 5 pence piece, where as a Semi will do the same within 2 pence piece.

The main advantage of bolt actions of semi's, is the same of springers over PCP air-rifles. Simplicity - problems are less frequent and easier (and cheaper) to fix.

The one thing I will say about Semi-auto's is always check the trigger pull stiffness before you buy, as they can be troublesome to loosen.

what a load of old squit :lol:

Bleeh, if you lived close to me I would bet you a tenner a semi won't do that.

I have seen many claim their semi's are accurate then when shooting always an excuse. It's the wrong temp, the sun is shIning the wrong way, leaves on the ground, euro exchange rate is to low, corries only one twice this week.

Bleeh, if you lived close to me I would bet you a tenner a semi won't do that.

I have seen many claim their semi's are accurate then when shooting always an excuse. It's the wrong temp, the sun is shIning the wrong way, leaves on the ground, euro exchange rate is to low, corries only one twice this week.

No, it was because my rifle uses Eley, but the shop had nothing but Winchester.

The ammo is a factor though, generally these semi-autos are for our colonial cousins for protection against zombies, communists and aliens.

They can't use silencers so sub-sonic ammo has little worth for them, sub-sonic ammo has less powder than hi-velocity ammo so less of a bang to throw the action back and make the rifle cycle properly.

As Gram said, you can get lucky and find a gun/ammo combo that works but in general: they will jam, they aren't as accurate and are harder to clean.

Its just to get me started as I am on a limited budget :good:

Would love a CZ 452 silloutte but cant afford £300 even for S/H

Marlins are great guns, the equal of the 452 for function (the CZ have a little nicer wood on average if you ask me). I've got a Marlin 54N (I think) and my dad shoots the 912 or 922. They are fantastically accurate with the right ammo. Without wind, mine is an MOA gun out to a hundred or so. One thing you'll want to change once you get it will be the trigger pull. They are a little heavy with some creep from the factory. You can pay $80 for a rifle basics trigger, or follow the instructions on rimfirecentral to do it yourself for a fiver. I did mine myself. I put in new springs (not ballpoint pens springs) and cleaned up the sear/hammer/striker. I don't think I shimmed this trigger. It is down to a nice crisp 2 lb and feels great.

Thanks,

Rick

Its just to get me started as I am on a limited budget :good:

Would love a CZ 452 silloutte but cant afford £300 even for S/H

what's your budget chap? got a nice single shot anschutz target rifle for 250.

Imo the anschutz semi is a very reliable gun, one of the best in fact and it was designed for subs, mine didn't miss a beat with nigh on 2000rounds through it, picking off rabbits at nearly 100m, all head shots.

what's your budget chap? got a nice single shot anschutz target rifle for 250.

Imo the anschutz semi is a very reliable gun, one of the best in fact and it was designed for subs, mine didn't miss a beat with nigh on 2000rounds through it, picking off rabbits at nearly 100m, all head shots.

My current dilemma aside (im returning my anschutz 525) i also agree that anschutz semi's are usually great. Hitting a 1p coin and small bottle tops at 75 yards with ease using a bipod.

For semi's in general, they are great for a rapid second shot etc, accuracy wise i have never had a problem. My 12 year old son recently hit a rabbit square between the eyes from 75 yards using a remmington 597 with bipod and subs.