featherd game with a rifle right or wrong

johnny

Been a few posts on here latley about shooting game birds sitting at night or with a rifle. Ive only been shooting for twenty years and have never done or met anyone who has. Is it normal or right to do so? as I pefer my game birds with some sky round them.

Interested to see what other peoples views are.

cheers john

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beleive its ileagal to shoot birds with a lamp, so must be done with natural light.

As for shooting game birds with a rifle, surley you need an open ticket as if its not on the ticket then you cant shoot it.

If they are eaten afterwards, and taken with permission then a head shot with a rifle can be as tricky as a shotgun shot.

Trev

No such thing as an Open ticket in these respects, open refers to the land the firearm may be used on not use it might be put to. This sort of shooting is perfectly exeptable in other europian nations, yet frowned on here. Theres nothing clever or more sporting about shooting birds in the head as oposed to the body, the head is a mobile target that can move quickly and unpredictably on a bird it is this that makes the shot harder to achieve not the size of target and i definatly feel a rifle shot should always be a sure thing before it is taken. I personally see little sport in pheasants driven and ploped out of the sky and have the same thoughts about one plopped with a .22 on the ground. I must admit the thought of someone potting Grouse with a rimfire horrifies me yet that is quite the norm in scandinavia etc

If a pheasant was causing damage, then as a pest you could gt rid in the daylight with a rifle. Might be a bit tricky though, as a headshot is always best with any rifle.

That's rubbish.

You are allowed to shoot birds under three separate bits of law, the first being the 'Game Act 1831' and the second 'General license -To kill or take certain wild birds to prevent serious damage or disease', and the third being the good old 'Wildlife and Countryside act 1981'.

Now, the most important thing that the Game act does, apart from set out seasons for shooting, is it designates certain species as 'Game', - and henceforth this is the legal definition of certain species of bird (Pheasant, Partridge etc) and, no wording can change that.

Where as the Wildlife and Countryside act + The General license basically writes out the rules on what birds you can shoot except game (Pests and wildfowl) and the definition for those (i.e 'Pests' - and 'Wildfowl') with certain bits of legislation applying to both.

Now, for my first point, who ever asked the question 'Is it legal to shoot game at night' - here is your answer

The shooting of game at night (between one hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise) is not permitted. Ground game (rabbit and hare) may be shot at night by an occupier of land or one other person authorised by the occupier, with the permission of the holder of the shooting rights under Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 Schedule 7, unless the occupier has the exclusive rights.

- So, no, it's not, more so I'd like to add, it's also illegal for the

- Use of any device for illuminating a target for all birds except feral pigeons and for all mammals listed on Schedule 6 (Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981)

“Illuminating device” may include laser-type sighting devices.

So, even if it was legal to shoot game at night, to get anything legally it'll be a 'shot in the dark' (hahaaaaa)

------

The Problems with shooting game (legally) with Firearm rated rifles.

Well, several things are stopping you doing this.

Firstly, it states in the wildlife and countryside act 1981, that it's illegal to use - - Any automatic or semi-automatic weapon against any schedule 6 mammal or any bird except the Bird Pest Species

Wait, you say? - I see people using semi auto shotguns against wildfowl all the time!. - Yes, that's very true, but under the act the Definition for Semi automatic is a bit weird:

"Automatic weapon" and "semi-automatic weapon" means any weapon which is capable of holding more than two rounds in the magazine.

So, again, Unless you have a rifle with a two shot magazine (and isn't capable of holding a 3 shot or higher), it's illegal to shoot game with your rifle under this bit of the act.* (Read below)

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!

Remember earlier I was going on about certain species being legally defined as Game?, well, let's have a look at our FAC tickets.

Mine says something roughly like this.

Condition 5: The 22RF rifle and .22 Sound Moderator and ammunition shall be used for shooting vermin and for zeroing on ranges ... (etc).

So, with this condition I'm only allowed to shoot vermin (which the Home Office Guidelines states as either the aforementioned 'Pest' Bird species and mammals listed under section 6 of the countryside wildlife act 1981 such as Rats, rabbits etc (Foxes fall into a bit of a grey area here).

Now, this has knocked out around 99% of FAC rifle users, but some smart **** is going to say 'I own a single shot .22 and have an 'all legal quarry' condition on my ticket.

Technically under this condition you can shoot Game with a FAC rifle, but then again, your FAO probably wouldn't be partically happy about it, unless you stated in your interview this was your reason for wanting 'All legal quarry' condition (Rather than an excuse to shoot rabbits at 250 yards with a .308).

I hope that clears things up, but to be honest, the laws regarding shooting are a massive jumble of badly defined acts, that are a bit hard to follow, and filled with gaping grey areas that will only be ironed out when settled in court - which we can all agree is not worth being a smart **** backroom lawyer about when you end up in front of a judge.

*One thing I will say is that this definition has never been tested in court, and might, or might not exclude actions that are not self loading (Bolt, Underlever etc), and it would still prove very difficult to get a condition that states you are allowed to shoot game with your FAC.

Edited by Bleeh

a very interesting read and well put forward post above :good:

not that Id want to go lamping game, don't like the taste, bunnies are better, but the one exception not covered above,

my license (FAC) states Im allowed to shoot ANY ANIMAL HUMANELY if it is suffering (ie, broken bones) via my job as a pestie, so would having a pheasant/partridge etc with broken legs/wings not fall into that catogory

Been a few posts on here latley about shooting game birds sitting at night or with a rifle. Ive only been shooting for twenty years and have never done or met anyone who has. Is it normal or right to do so? as I pefer my game birds with some sky round them.

Interested to see what other peoples views are.

cheers john

I think common sense dictates whether sitting birds should be taken with a FA during the day John and its illegal to shoot game birds at night. If one did try to shoot a game bird one would have to be pretty sure of the backstop which obviously applies to shots attempted in flight which again is a complete no no.

Also its suprising how many pigeon shooters encounter game birds on their trips or land and shoot them without holding a game licence. I wonder sometimes how some posters manage to obtain Firearms and/or shotgun certificates and I also think one day in the future it will be neccessary to undertake a written test, incorporating firearm safety, shooting law and quarry identification before being awarded such certificates

I think common sense dictates whether sitting birds should be taken with a FA during the day John and its illegal to shoot game birds at night. If one did try to shoot a game bird one would have to be pretty sure of the backstop which obviously applies to shots attempted in flight which again is a complete no no.

Also its suprising how many pigeon shooters encounter game birds on their trips or land and shoot them without holding a game licence. I wonder sometimes how some posters manage to obtain Firearms and/or shotgun certificates and I also think one day in the future it will be neccessary to undertake a written test, incorporating firearm safety, shooting law and quarry identification before being awarded such certificates

:blink: the game license went couple of years back ;)

I'd be wondering more on how many hold the game rights to the land not just vermin shooting and yes I find it fairly unacceptable the number who will shoot pheasants from a Pigeon hide. As for using a rifle on pheasants not my cup of tea and can't see why you would do it, however you might be surprised how many get it at the seasons end in areas by keepers trying to reduce the number of cock birds on the ground.

I was lamping rabbits a few years back when one jumped into the longer grass at the edge of the field. I was using a red lamp and could still see the reflection of the eye so I took the shot. I went to collect it and found a headshot woodcock. I was gutted and really angry with myself. The rabbit must have continued into the grass and the woodcock was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The bird was eaten and the pin feathers went to a local artist so it was not wasted.

It's not sporting and I would not recomend it.

Harry

as another member has just pointed out to me, most FAC's list on the conditions, small ground game and vermin, if its against the law, then why is it put on there by the issuing firearms dept, and "what" is classed as ground game, if not pheasant,partridge etc, that is on the ground, rather than flying.

I keep seeing the use of the word "sporting" at the end of the day, your killing something weather it be in the air, or on the ground, so I dont class ANY shooting that I do,as sporting, its pest control, or going on the table to feed me and my family, no sport what-so-ever

this subject will get raised time and time again, and you'll always get the same mixed answers, for and against, so at the end of the day, it can only be answered, by each individual shooter, and how he/she see's themselves as a member of the shooting ferternatity

Edited by stubby

ground game are hares and rabbits

just looked on BASC website, copied this from there.

quote;

Game for the purposes of this section means pheasant, partridge, red grouse, black grouse and hare

so why do they classifiy hare as "game" along with the birds, yet when we ask what is classed as "ground game" the birds get left out of the answer

just looked on BASC website, copied this from there.

quote;

Game for the purposes of this section means pheasant, partridge, red grouse, black grouse and hare

so why do they classifiy hare as "game" along with the birds, yet when we ask what is classed as "ground game" the birds get left out of the answer

Game Act 1831 and the Ground Game Act 1880 define what is what

Edited by guest1957