Why would a rabbit not be tender after 6 hours of slow cook ?

Salop Matt

• 4 weeks later...

I really don't think it is necessary to soak overnight in salt water, and certainly not to affect the tenderness of the resulting meat. I was always told the idea behind that was to whiten the appearance and take away some of the earthiness of the taste/aroma.

I tend to do what is popular in Italy, they soak the rabbit in water that has a small amount of white wine vinegar in it, and that is only for 30 to 90 mins. Then it is washed off. You then dry it off (either leave it in a colander or pat dry) and fry off all the meat to brown it, before cooking in whatever fashion you want.

As for the earthy taste, I found the only thing that made much difference (from my own point of view) was to make sure the scent glands were removed when skinning and butchering. I tend to go one further and throw away the entire pelvis.

• 1 month later...

When I shoot a rabbit in the head and it flaps about like a fish out of water...

Will that cause adreneline?? :hmm:

Yes, a major cause of pale, reduced quality meat in pigs, cattle and lamb, but thas often caused by transport, poor handling and anti-mortum stress.

Although studies have shown that animals killed using 'stun and stick' techniques can still have less quality meat, there was a load of work done a few years back using a high voltage current to 'buzz' the carcass after dressing, with good results.