A funny old day

jimi_impreza

The weather could not have been better it was windy and dull,there were 100`s of birds sitting around but none of them were moving.I got to the fields at around 9 and i stayed till 5.I went to all the different fields and i had no joy anywhere,i only shot 2 birds by chance.

Why did this happen :<

I should of had a top day. <_<

JIM

I have to say that spotting your decoys in the 1st picture was very difficult, they simply blended in too much with the ground. You either need to raise them off the ground a bit or purchase a floater or two to put a dead bird on, this way birds will be able to see your pattern from a much greater distance <_< . The first picture the decoys must be about 20-30 yards out and yet the blend in with the ground so much they are almost unviewable, a floater or something to raise up the decoys will allow the pigeons to see them from much greater distances and so they should hone in to your pattern :)

jimi, how many decoys did you have out ?

I agree that they are not very obvious, but there doesn,t seem to be very many.

I am using a minimum of 20, on short rape.

That hedgerow looks a good place for a hide, but the hide you have under the tree looks OK.

Perhaps you should have been on the field bfore 9am, the birds are getting an early feed by 7.30am this time of year.

They could have fed again ,after you left, itd light until after 8pm.

There are loads of different factors to consider.

Of course, they just might have been having an "off day", that happens to. <_<

Jimi,

You are going to need a lot more decoys to really draw them in - it looks like a pretty big field to cover, also those that you put out were simply placed on the ground - they should have been raised up, as William says.

Also, your chances would have been greatly improved if you had used a rotary - that would really have drawn them in from some way off.

Keep trying - one day you'll end up in the right place at the right time - I just hope you don't run out of ammo...!!!

Hi chaps

Thanks for the replys.

I would like to say that i used 21 decoys and the pic that i took was a few that was on high ground,the other decoys were lifted up above the rape.

There were 100`s of birds just sitting around doing nothing i went to all the best spots but they would not move.

I would have used my flapper and my magnet but i did not have any birds to put on them.

Nothing would work at all,i have been pigeon shooting for 8-9 years now so i feel i know my stuff.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

JIM

• 3 weeks later...

Are you using a shotgun cause when im out decoying i some times let a shot of to stir the birds up and if my deeks are standing out well enuf the piggys will just turn right in to my pattern and that should produce a though shots.

If you are using an air rifle try and make your deeks stand out more and maby use a call if you have no piggy magnet. :lol: