Softer Recoiling Cartridges

I have just got back from a good day on the pheasants, with a pounding headache.

I was using Eley VIP 32gram NO.6 fibre which really pulled down the high fast birds with ease. However they were really knocking me around through a Miroku 6000 O/U.

Are there any cartridges on the market which deliver good long range performance but are a bit kinder on the shoulder?

I assume you use ear protection. it might be that the smell of the powder when you open the gun after firing is what is causing the headache. I used to get a headache using a certain brand of rimfire ammo in a 10/22. I would immediately reduce your load to 30gr of 5 shot, VIP is a bit punchy, VIP 32s very much so. I use Eley Grand Prix High Pheasant 30gr 5s in a lightweight 687 game gun. If i put the pattern ( usually 1/2) in the right place birds fold with ease out to 50 yards plus. Last week I shot a partridge that had been pricked by the next gun well behind his peg, must have been at least 65 yards.

I would be happy to use that cartridge in all but the most extreme drives. Hull High Pheasant are just as good as are standard Eley Grand prix. For average driven pheasants Eley Impax 6s (28gr) will reach 40 yards OK and are very sweet to shoot. You just dont need these heavy loads for 95% of our driven birds, all you are doing is putting more lead into the pattern and risking smashing 20 yard birds that all drives produce. 4 pellets into a pheasant will kill it through shock.

A

Guest cookoff013

I assume you use ear protection. it might be that the smell of the powder when you open the gun after firing is what is causing the headache. I used to get a headache using a certain brand of rimfire ammo in a 10/22. I would immediately reduce your load to 30gr of 5 shot, VIP is a bit punchy, VIP 32s very much so. I use Eley Grand Prix High Pheasant 30gr 5s in a lightweight 687 game gun. If i put the pattern ( usually 1/2) in the right place birds fold with ease out to 50 yards plus. Last week I shot a partridge that had been pricked by the next gun well behind his peg, must have been at least 65 yards.

I would be happy to use that cartridge in all but the most extreme drives. Hull High Pheasant are just as good as are standard Eley Grand prix. For average driven pheasants Eley Impax 6s (28gr) will reach 40 yards OK and are very sweet to shoot. You just dont need these heavy loads for 95% of our driven birds, all you are doing is putting more lead into the pattern and risking smashing 20 yard birds that all drives produce. 4 pellets into a pheasant will kill it through shock.

A

+1

32 #5 are usually reserved for "high" phes, 30g of #6 will do 95% of game birds. i`ve never been a big fan of eley, however i`ve never had a problem. and always try to use hull, just because i like there cartridges, nothing else. i used 28g of #7 on the last drives, this is a partridge load, and it shot sweet, very choked though, through my little sxs.

Thanks for the advice!

I always wear Peltor Sportac ear defenders and the gun fit is spot on, I had it checked and altered by a coach / gunsmith.

Has anyone used Gamebore black gold? I see its loaded in the Gordon system case which is meant to reduce recoil. Are the 30 gram versions of this a bit softer?

Black gold are a good cartridge yes but no better than Eley or Hull High pheasants. I did not notice any recoil difference when I took half a pocket full back after I loaned some Eleys to the next door gun mid drive !. I am recoil sensitive and see no point in punishing yourself using heavy loads unless the target demands it. The only time i use heavies is 36gr of Hevishot at flighted geese, I know I am going to use no more than half a dozen though.

How heavy is your gun?, I have had three Miroku's over the years, all were over 7lbs and one nearly 8lb. If your birds demand heavy loads (ie the large majority are over 45 yards) then you may have to consider a heavier gun, this will help absorb the recoil but will be harder work to use.

A

Edited by Alycidon

Thanks for the advice!

I always wear Peltor Sportac ear defenders and the gun fit is spot on, I had it checked and altered by a coach / gunsmith.

Has anyone used Gamebore black gold? I see its loaded in the Gordon system case which is meant to reduce recoil. Are the 30 gram versions of this a bit softer?

Cartridge manufacturers like to use fast burning powders because it means they can get away with using less powder and its cheaper. Typically 19 grains of fast powder as against 24-26 grains of a slower (softer) powder.

The old Grand Prix cartridges used to be more mellow, as did the Three Crowns but I don't know if that is still true.

I have just got back from a good day on the pheasants, with a pounding headache.

I was using Eley VIP 32gram NO.6 fibre which really pulled down the high fast birds with ease. However they were really knocking me around through a Miroku 6000 O/U.

Are there any cartridges on the market which deliver good long range performance but are a bit kinder on the shoulder?

Of the cartridges I've tried Express Supreme Game were just about the smoothest to shoot and were very good in plastic wads - in fibre I thought they were a little more bumpy and oddly didn't seem to kill anyehwre near as well :/ - still can't work out why that should be. Gamebore Black gold or Just Cartridges Extreme Game in 30g loads aren't far behind them at all though and I found both to be far better in Fibre than the Express. I agree with the previous comment to 32g is overkill and have found 30g is plenty - even right up to what you'd consider the maximum range for 6 shot through a shotgun. If none of the suggestions help any you might also consider trying a 20b through which even fast 28g loads (which again is plenty even for very high / long birds, through a suitable choke) result in much less kick.

Dont use plastic wads in the field, the landowner will not appreciate you littering his countryside.

I have shot Eley Grand Prix on and off for 45 years, velocity and recoil has been pretty consistent over that time. I used a few GP7s that I found some time ago, I stopped using 7s about 30 years ago, their speed and recoil were fine mind you i was not pushing the distance with them.

A