Clay Ammo

Hubertus

Hubertus,

Unforuntatley I am not quite sure which shot size 2.4mm equates to, but I have used anything from 7s to 4s for pigeon, with preference for 5 - 6s which I use for all of my game (live) shooting.

Have had pigeons leave puffs of feathers when shot with heavy load and drop stone dead with 7s.

As long its not to long on range then most of the loads will do, as long as you get the bird to fly into the pattern. :rolleyes: . Miss the bird and it will not matter what size you use. :rolleyes:

Trev

A friend of mine uses 28grm No 7's on decoyed pigeons and kills more than most.

Express cartridges sell 20 bore game loads, as follows:

Light Game 21 gram

Standard Game 25 gram

Super Game 28

Which I assume are used for live quarry shooting.

This would suggest that you lighter loads have sufficient killing power at the right range.

Good old Archie Coats used to reckon cylinder choke and No 7's, but that was in the good old days when pigeon shooters were a rare breed.

I normally use No 6's, and quarter or half choke in my Beretta 391.

In the past I have used clay 7.5's, and found no problem providing the range is fairly close, or the choke is tighter at longer range. BUT, the smaller the shot size, the greater the loss in pellet energy at longer range.

When I really used to mess about (when I was young) I used to swear by no 7's in the open choke and 6's in the tight choke barrel. Used to miss more pigeon by scrabbling for the correct cartridge in the correct barrel than for any other reason....

At the end of the day, you have to put the pattern in the centre of the target, and when you do you can get away with most shot sizes from 5's to 7's.

However, whenever you are shooting with a partner and you have a miss, then it is best explained by the wrong shot size or choke, rather than say it wuz a **** shot......

Not that I miss many.....

Don