What gun for a woman new to clay shooting? 410? 20g?

landymike

Faced with a similar question I got my girlfriend a 20b over and under. she finds the recoil uncomfortable after 50 shells and so I've been thinking about finding her a gas operated 12b semi auto as it will still be light and I think will recoil less.

Forget the .410 for a beginner on clays, in my view its a gun for an expert and you want her to hit something!

Faced with a similar question I got my girlfriend a 20b over and under. she finds the recoil uncomfortable after 50 shells and so I've been thinking about finding her a gas operated 12b semi auto as it will still be light and I think will recoil less.

Forget the .410 for a beginner on clays, in my view its a gun for an expert and you want her to hit something!

have you tried the lighter shells?

I have a 20g 391 Teknys it is just over 6lbs and I think it would fit the bill really well for a woman and still be an excellent field gun for the bloke (which is the most important thing :lol: )

A friend had a 20 bore Teknys the recoil was more than a 12 bore Teknys.

I think that a short barreled ie 28" or less 12 bore o/u which really needs to fitted as to lessen recoil and just use Hull 21gms, this combination to me seems to have less recoil than any Beretta auto.

It's cruel to subject a new shooter to recoil so never use more than 24gms.

A friend had a 20 bore Teknys the recoil was more than a 12 bore Teknys.

I think that a short barreled ie 28" or less 12 bore o/u which really needs to fitted as to lessen recoil and just use Hull 21gms, this combination to me seems to have less recoil than any Beretta auto.

It's cruel to subject a new shooter to recoil so never use more than 24gms.

I own both, it doesn't. In fact both are very mild to the point of me not really noticing it to any extent and it is certainly far less than any o/u you will get in any gauge.

Makes no difference to me, mine aren't for sale :P:lol:

My sister is 5 foot on the button and about 8 stone wet through, she now shoots my AL391 without any probs using 24 or 28 gram clay loads,she had no issues shooting my 686 but the weight did end up tiring her. I would strongly advise trying an auto of some descript!

Having tried several guns, I find a semi by far the nicest to shoot, with the least recoil, and tires me the least......Beretta Semis fitted me well with some shim changes, and currently shooting with a Benelli Supersport which I absolutely love......you won't go worng with a semi, and you can get a nice Beretta 303 or similar quite inexpensively......no need to go for a 20g, the 12g cartridges are cheaper and the 12g semi is a nice gun for a woman

Hello Condor...long time no see.

I know what you are like for buying guns..try a BlaserF3 with some 24gm shells then you will not need 3 semi auto's, you will just have one excellent shotgun.

The trigger and balance are spot on, just right for a lady like you :D

Hi Blaser, the Benelli is just perfect thanks, but some of those Blasers have some good looking wood! :) My cabinet is full and I'm happy with the semi's and a Silver Pigeon III for O/U days :) I visit the board and read but rarely post anymore......