forcing me to take holidays on certain days

TJ91

My contract ends 24th december but my boss has just emailed me a fresh un for 24th december till 4th feb

on it it says..

'you are entitled to take public holidays that fallduring this period (december 27th and 28th and jan 3rd 2011).

You will be entitled to two further days holiday which must be taken on wednesday dec 29th and thursday dec 30th 2010 as the warehouse/office is closed during these dates'

i want to take my 2 days at then end of january, to make up a long weekend away

can the company force me to take these days off or am i able to say no and take them when i want... what does the law say on this?

any help much appreciated :good:

I think the law favours the the employer on this one, as they can say when you must and mustn't take your holidays. For example, retailers will stop people from taking days off in December and sale periods.

Where I work we all take three days off after Boxing day. I mean, we can come in, but who wants to :lol:

If the warehouse is closed on those dates, there's very little you can do, especially if everyone is off those days. I am guessing you're not a key holder and that there are security and safety risks of having just one person working in a warehouse.

Secondly... A contractor getting paid holidays - you're lucky ;)

Edited by Billy.

Not part of union

i am a key holder and often work alone in the office

we deal with a branch of our company in germany on a daily basis and they are working the same days but we arent :hmm:

seems odd and abit of a ****** not getting my holidays at end of jan, will just have to catch man flu or something :lol:

Thanks anyway

Your employer can tell you when to take holidays. I close my company between xmas and new year and take the closed days out of staff's annual allowance (not the public holidays though) - either 3 or 4 days depending on when Xmas falls. Perfectly legal as long as you get 20 days off in total (at the moment this includes public holidays, but I think this is soon to change to 20 days + public holidays)

Your employer can tell you when to take holidays. I close my company between xmas and new year and take the closed days out of staff's annual allowance (not the public holidays though) - either 3 or 4 days depending on when Xmas falls. Perfectly legal as long as you get 20 days off in total (at the moment this includes public holidays, but I think this is soon to change to 20 days + public holidays)

I think on Direct.gov it says 24 days (this can or doesnt have to include bank holidays. we get 24 + Bank Hols.

Just accept it and go sick. That's what I'd do!

:good: thats what i am going to do!

they dont know about the holiday so i will be falling sick around the 27th so i can get a long weekend away 'fowling!

Thansk for the replys!

they dont know about the holiday so i will be falling sick around the 27th so i can get a long weekend away 'fowling!

Thansk for the replys!

So what does your contract say about sick days? As a contractor, generally that means you're off with no money to cover it.

If you get sick pay, you're obviously getting an amazing deal, as holidays, sick pay and a few employment rights no longer exist. If I was getting sick pay and paid holidays as a contractor I'd not be complaining ;)

So what does your contract say about sick days? As a contractor, generally that means you're off with no money to cover it.

If you get sick pay, you're obviously getting an amazing deal, as holidays, sick pay and a few employment rights no longer exist. If I was getting sick pay and paid holidays as a contractor I'd not be complaining ;)

i get paid half my normal wage when off sick, which is better than nowt :good:

As far as i am aware, if you sign the contract you agree to be bound by its terms and conditions. Your contract stipulates what days you can take and therefore by signing it you agree to those. The whole point of using short term contracts is that they favour the requirements of the employer.

There is a difference in the law between contract employment and permanent employment. Ppermanent employement holiday approval is dependant on when the person requests the holiday versus their employment notice period to have a guarenteed approval. If the time between the request and the holiday date is greater than the notice period, the employer has to grant the holiday, if it is less it is at their discretion.

AB

Employed Contract staff are entitled to holiday and accrued pro rata, sick pay is normally ssp ,if you are self employed when you get Jack,I have to take holiday after Xmas and can't get enough of it but have to go back for new years eve,the practice of stating when you have to take your holiday should be stated in your contract,but no point in going to work if there is no work, by the end of Jan you may have accrued more holiday to cover the long weekend

Thansk for the replys!

If you value your Job in the current Climate I certainly wouldnt do that, or at least you shouldnt have told everybody about it. :lol: Your Employer isnt an idiot and he will soon work it out. :lol:

Just accept it and go sick. That's what I'd do!

Thansk for the replys!

:hmm: I hope you boss does not read this!

And people question why we employ these "other" people who do not take sick, work hard and dont lie about things!

I think they call them "Imigrants" or the other word "workers"

You sign the contract, take it or leave it.

:hmm: I hope you boss does not read this!

And people question why we employ these "other" people who do not take sick, work hard and dont lie about things!

I think they call them "Imigrants" or the other word "workers"

You sign the contract, take it or leave it.

:good::good::good:

spot on that man