woodcock

covey

Hi all,

once guns and beaters have taken the birds they want whats left is usually the heavily shot, i have plenty of recipes for pheasants pigeon and duck but none for woodcock that are not worth plucking and roasting anyone have any they can share.

cheers covey

Hi all,

once guns and beaters have taken the birds they want whats left is usually the heavily shot, i have plenty of recipes for pheasants pigeon and duck but none for woodcock that are not worth plucking and roasting anyone have any they can share.

cheers covey

Nothing fancy, but I've had woodcock just lightly fried in a little olive oil, with scrambled egg on toast for breakfast a few times.

• 2 weeks later...

Try turning them into rillettes take the breast off the bone salt them over night ,wash the salt off put in a roaster with a lid place some sliced onions and garlic with them you can also use the leg try to remove sinews,cover with oil and place in a oven at about 130c for a couple of hours do not over cook

Cool in oil then finely chop the meat and garlic season add what herbs take your fancy add some melted butter,

You can serve on toast will keep for a while in the fridge

I did this with a couple of pheasant and turned the livers into a parfait with a Cumberland sauce glaze again will keep for a while due to being sealed

The oil off the meat is great for roasting potatoes

Hang the same as pheasants, according to taste and coldness of the weather.

Woodcock should not be drawn but cooked guts in and everything is edible (the bird empties itself before flight so there is no foul matter in it). The meat is fairly dry so it should have fat bacon over the breast and legs and should be cooked covered with foil for all but the last few minutes of cooking. They are delicious basted with plenty of butter and served on thick crusty toast.