Cartridge for skeet

nick_c

Hello all, I am trying skeet for the first time next week and was after some suitable cartridges.

I was advised to get some 24g 9's but, I cannot find any locally as they have to be fibre and in 12 bore.

I have found some 24g 8's, am I right in thinking that it will not make that much difference?

All advice most welcome.

Cheer's Nick.

Hi, any reason why 24g were recommended instead of the more common 28g? There are loads of options in 28g, I personally use Gamebore Blue Diamond fibre in 9's for Skeet. Very good cartridge. 24g will be a bit softer on the shoulder but I'd recommend going for 28g.

You could shoot with the 28grm loads , the 24grm loads or even a 21 grm load of 7.5's and few will notice a difference at this point.

If I was coaching you then I would use lighter loads as you will be concentrating on gun holds, foot position, visual pick up points and lots of other things more important than the shot load and size.......for the moment.

When you get consistent and fault free then you can work on finding a load you use consistently, confidently and comfortably.

Enjoy your skeet shooting and worry about hitting it rather than what with.

if its your first time dont worry about the cartridges, ive been shooting skeet 1 year and just buy the cheapest be it 21g 24g or 28g in shot size 7.5 upto 9s with no differnce in my scores. As hillhouse suggests get the basics sorted and when your shooting 25 straight regularly worry about cartridges

denny (best skeet score 24, last skeet score 18)

If you are starting at skeet, I doubt you will notice any difference

Most of the top skeet shot use 8's not 9's

24gr will be softer to shoot and give you an easier (faster) recovery of the gun on doubles, they will normally throw a slightly tighter pattern, so bare this is mind.

When I shot skeet I always shot 8's, and used quarter / half choke, when I pointed the gun in the right direction, the clay broke.

Enjoy your skeet

kermit

I don't profess to being an expert at all, but I shot 24g 9s recently and found it quite a 'light' feeling compared to the 28s - it affected my confidence in a strange way, almost like I thought (completely illogically) that there wasn't enough oompf behind the shot. I guess it depends what you're used to.

Let us know how you get on :)

If it's your first go at skeet I really wouldn't worry about the cartridge, just enjoy it :)

If you put the shot in the right place they will break.

28g gives you the best range of options, 7.5, 8 or 9's.

I shoot skeet with a 24g 9 plaswad steel and they work very well, the Hull Comp x 21g work very well too but IIRC are not available in fibre.

Just put in the most open choke you have in the first barrel and the second most open in the second.

Remember that the lead increases from 1-4 then decreases from 4-7

Jon.

Whatever floats your boat, 24 9 is a recognised skeet cart and you can shoot them all day, (and I know one or two people that can go through many 100 in a day) effective and useful, especially for me as I almost always use my semi for skeet (even though it is rated for 21), certainly my first choice.

I'd probably use 21 9 for my O/U's for Skeet, but I hardly ever use them.

None of my Skeet grounds specifies fibre, so that gives me a wider choice!

• 4 weeks later...

Its all about pattern placement, and with 24g there is less recoil, less fatigue and its easier to concentrate on the job of actually shooting in the right place. My self, and many others, can testify that our scores IMPROVED when we dropped from 28g to 24, and they are cheaper too.

HV Express 24g fibre would be my choice - progressive powder that "pushes" in the shoulder rather than "jolts", good MV at 1375 but not so fast the pattern is blown to bits, and not a bad idea to have both 8s and 9s in the pocket. Use the 8s on centre and second shot on prs on 2 and 6 - and 9s on the rest. The inertia in a 9 can be running out and hole or chip but not break a clay if its at max skeet range - or, as suggested by others, just use 8s for all. Skeet rules (ESK) allow any shot size from 6 up, and you can even get 9 1/2s and 10s if you want max pellet count.

not a bad idea to have both 8s and 9s in the pocket. Use the 8s on centre and second shot on prs on 2 and 6 - and 9s on the rest.

not quite sure i would agree on that, surely if your going to bother on shooting mixed shells then you would be better off shooting stands 3 and 5 with the bigger shot. second bird on pair 2,6 are like buckets in comparison, they are coming in at you not going away??

Such things are personal choice of course, but 3 and 5 are both singles and its the second target in a pair that has extra legs on it, so 1 and 7 are pretty close in for both singles and prs and 9s perfect, 2 and 6 not much further out for the singles but the second in the pr will be past centre for most shooters. 5 and 7 being singles should be shot a bit closer around centre. Obviously , if one is to mix shot sizes, which targets you use the heavier on will depend on your shooting style and how quickly you take singles or pairs. I have a fairly lazy swing and tend to short later than some snap shooters, and novices will all need the extra breaking power for late shot targets.