Single barrelled 12 bores.

Cranfield

We have all bought one at some time and in my case, ended up wondering why.

I can understand the attraction of a single .410, but not a 12 bore.

When I used mine, I always wished I had the availability of the second shot, especially when I missed with the first (and only) shot.

Can anyone think of a good reason for owning one (apart from a folding one <_< ) ?

The main reason I bought a single barrelled baikal 30 years ago was because I couldn't afford an o/u or s/s.

They are very light to carry about, but usually choked far too tight. They do, however teach you not to waste ammo, as every shot has to count...!!!

Just got a single 410 today a Baikal ejector at £70 not bad p rice for a new one got it for ratting around farm buildings better for moving shots than air rifle and not as savage as the 12 I find the single barrel easier to use in tight spots than the double barrel

I have got a single barrell BSA Snipe 30'' full choke.

Had it given to me by and old boy who was letting his ticket expire as he was to ill to carry on shooting.

Also had one as a young lad and as Double H said you have to make every shot count!!

All the best

Buzzer <_<

:< My first shotgun was a single 12 bore. In 1960 an ex-school mate was joining the RAF and was selling up his worldly goods.

I bought his Austin 7 special for £60 and his gun for £5.( I say I bought them, obviously dad put his hand in his pocket as well)

Only fired the gun four times and on three occasions the gun flew open.

Got my dad to try it with a view to help me fix it and when the same thing happened to him, he took it into his shed and fixed it with his hacksaw and put the "fixed" parts in the dustbin.

Think it was a BSA , all I remember is that the gun had a side lever to open it when it didn,t open itself.

Next gun was a .410 Webley Scot bolt action which cost £12 new and I still own and in 40 years it has fired no more than 125 shots. :)<_<

ernyha, I had a single barrelled BSA at one time, I think the model was the Snipe.

I also still have my Webley bolt actioned .410.

It patterns a 10" circle at 20 yards, using Fourlong No4 shot, thats what you call a full choke. <_<

I,d love to know how many of them were sold.

My first shotgun was a 12 g single, full choke 32 inch. Makers name was not stamped on it, apart from "Massechussets usa". Those singles were very popular at one time, mostly because they were mass produced and hence cheap to buy and were the farmers ideal"workhorse" gun, never cleaned or looked after, just a necessary tool, part of the normal farm implements, and thrown into a corner of the barn after use. That first single of mine though, seemed at the time better than the finest Purdy.