no smoking ban

shawn9914

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t smoke, and I hate going into places where smoking is taking place because I don’t see why I should come out stinking of other peoples smoke.

So in one way I do welcome this……….however, I don’t see why nanny Blair and his cronies should be allowed to dictate, yet again, how we should all behave.

This is yet another step towards the banning of anything that may be harmful to us….whether we want it or not.

I would be quite happy to see a smoke room introduced back into pubs and clubs, where anyone who smokes could drink. I could then go for a drink in the other parts of the pub where no smoking is allowed.

But this isn’t good enough for nanny Blair and all those **** heads on the labour back-benches. No, they want to tell us what we should do and how we should behave….just one step short of telling us how to think. :<

G.M.

gemini

i also agree, i support the ban %100 but i would have been more than happy for all pubs to have a smoking room where smokers could have a smoke and a beer and not interfear with my health. i also agree with the blair thing like you say, we will have no say in anything soon

shawn

Why is it always BLAIR

It went to a vote in the house.

Blair didnt want a total ban.

Labour, cons, lib dems all voted it in.

And those in the house were put there by US.

And i think that a very large mj of the population want a total ban.

Its not just Blair that has done this.

Look around the rest of the World, i think you will find it has taken place before

Blair (as you say) decided to bring it into force.

All those of you over the years that have made me suffer your stink and have filled my lungs whith your **** and have said ITS MY WRIGHT :D:D:D :o

Its now going to be My Wright ;):) :blink:

Not a mo to soon.

The Pelt Man

Firstly I didn’t vote him in, and if you look at the way in which he came to power you will see that he actually got in with a ridiculously small percentage of the electorate. And without the Scottish vote he wouldn’t have got in at all!!!!!!!! :<

Secondly you say that Blair didn’t want it…..well he didn’t want to ban fox hunting either did he, but that didn’t stop him steering it through did it. :D

G.M.

ps it’s “Rright” not “Wright” :D

If a landlord wants smoking in his pub then he should be allowed to have it. If someone goes into that pub and doesn't like it then go else where.

If it is going to get silly then they should ban smoking altogther and make it illegal. But that is going to affect revenue isn't it? (The arguement that the NHS is paying for smokers is valid but upto a point. If you live a 100% healthy life style you are going to live a long time and become a burden on the state, if not you are going to die of something anyway and that is likely to cost the NHS as well so it really is a no win situation!)

I agree with Gemini and Shawn. Firstly a landlord should be able to decide, God knows there are enough pubs in our country for non-smokers to go to as an alternative to a smoking pub. Besides, most pubs would have still been non-smoking anyway in the end.

Also the smoking room idea is a great one, that way everyone gets what they want.

I reckon Blair was too scared to go for an all-out ban so went for the usual wishy-washy approach and thats what messed it up in the end. I'm sure he's actually glad his party helped to get a total ban through the house in the end and will seek to make capital from it soon enough.

I'm just frightened about the Nanny state approach (read 1984 for that) and the attack on traditional freedoms of choice. I strongly believe non-smokers shouldn't have to suffer but there was a better way to do it than this, it's not rocket science.

As it's a ban on smoking in all public places does that mean that pubs will also not be able to do what they do in Ireland? They can't set up out the back in the garden for smokers, or even in the street? After all the garden is probably classed as a public place as it's a public house surely, and non-smokers could easily loose their way and stumble into the garden by mistake and be killed by the smokers?

They say smoking takes the last 10 years off your life.... but then generally most of us (smokers and non-smokers) spend the last 10 years dribbling and peeing ourselves and being a burden on our kids, so who the hell wants the last 10 years anyway?

If a landlord wants smoking in his pub then he should be allowed to have it. If someone goes into that pub and doesn't like it then go else where.

If it is going to get silly then they should ban smoking altogther and make it illegal. But that is going to affect revenue isn't it? (The arguement that the NHS is paying for smokers is valid but upto a point. If you live a 100% healthy life style you are going to live a long time and become a burden on the state, if not you are going to die of something anyway and that is likely to cost the NHS as well so it really is a no win situation!)

Apparently fat people cost the NHS millions every year. :D:D:D

Jonno

SNAKEBITE

A landlord provides a service which is regulated like any other service.

Most landlords don't own thier pubs.

You cant just say its down to the public to take the risk or not.

I am not frightend to say: there are members of the public who dont have the brains (people who buy the sun & others) to protect themself, rules & regulations arn't just to control but to help protect the lives & health of others.

The Pelt Man

Over here in Southern Ireland, smoking has been banned everywhere the last few years.

At first when it came in, people went mad and protested by continuing to smoke ect.

Prosecutions followed and people started to pay attention to the law.

Now, after the dust has setteled, it seems to have been excepted and its a pert of life.

One thing now i can smell a lot in pubs that i could not smell before, because of the smoke is, smelly farts :D and variuos purfumes and after shaves :D:D.

Edited by Frank

Own their own pub or not, unless they're a brewery manager they are paying for the priviledge of running their own business establishment, whether it's leased or owned, so it's still their call. Yes, the alcohol side is regulated but that's not the issue here. The public can always vote with their feet.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but let's keep the main point in mind.

The public don't need to be exposed to risks (and shouldn't be) from the "People who buy the Sun & others", I know exactly what you mean by that remark, and it can all be avoided. But in correctly establishing the rights of non-smokers the government has b*ll*xed it up uneccessarily.

It's their lack of concern and perspective that troubles me most. They don't seem to be able to do anything reasonably or correctly. The hunting ban is another fine example of what I mean.

They'll put anything through the house if they think they can win another 1000 votes, and that's no basis for parliamentary democracy. They seem to be micro-managing us not governing us, when they should be assuming we're mostly reasonable people who don't want to infringe on other people. Issues should come up through local politics to the party conference and then perhaps into legislation, not just "Oh I know, lets think up another little vote-winner and get a bill through".

Sure... jail the no-gooders, stamp on the trouble-makers and re-offenders etc. I go along with that certainly.

As i said before, the whole house voted on this not just labour.

Are you telling me No Con's or Lib's voted for a ban.

My local MP is a Tory & i would have wanted him to vote for a ban.

So dont just say its all Labours fault.

Smokers have wrights WELL AWAY FROM OTHERS.

Yes the public can vote with their feet but to which pub do they go at this moment in time.

The brewerys are owned by share holders, Do you know what they want.

Smoking is regulated.

The Pelt Man

Edited by the pelt man