no smoking ban

shawn9914

a bit off thread again i know but who will enforce the ban ?, will it be the landlord that gets a fine or the individual with the cigarette ?, most of the pubs in my local area are a bit rough and ready to say the least and i just couldn,t see a police officer taking on half a dozen drunken brawlers over a ciggy.

absoluteley......and how lets say will they enforce it in a nightclub with hundreds of people. Surely the bouncers will be chucking out people sneaking a crafty fag, rather than keeping their eyes peeled for more serious matters like fights.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ban is very effectively enforced in Ireland and (further from home) in some of the States in the US (Florida and New York for instance).

Months after the ban came into effect in Ireland, we were fishing the Clew Bay area and staying near Newport, Co Mayo.

We were in the middle of nowhere, never saw a policeman and the pubs were happy to stay open all night, but nobody smoked in the bars.

I believe it would be the Landlord and the smoker who get a financial penalty.

If a non smoker complained to the police and had witnesses, that smoking took place in a nightclub/bar/wherever, the police could prosecute after the event.

They do not have to witness the offence.

look in a typical pub on,say a wednesday evening.not a gastro pub but a typical local,what percentage are smokers ? did this today and it was over a third.they find drinking at home is cheaper ( which it is ) and the pub could be a third down on its returns = beer could go up 33%.

but is smoking banned in the pw arms ?

Haven't read all this thread as it's so long :rolleyes:

I think a TOTAL ban is a load of bollux ..........Government building etc yes ....but public places NO!!...........Let Joe public decide ............Working mans clubs and Pubs etc should be allowed to set their own rules and set up seperate rooms to accomodate if you like ............If as a non smoker you still ain't happy then go off and SPEND your hard earned cash eleswhere ...SIMPLE :P

Ive

As an Ex-Smoker of 5 years now and 3 stone heavier I am now a FATTER FITTER ******............I think :rolleyes:

Oh I heard the other day that this Government WILL make it compulsory that every Toliet Seat will have to have a seat belt fitted to cut down on accidents ;):P

Sorry for going back to this but I found out today that one of the very few public places wich will be exempt from a smoking ban................

The houses of Parilment. Yes thats right the ******** who voted in the ban will still be allowed to smoke in their bars and offices but not Joe Public

except it wont be banned in government buildings, at least not in Parliament anyway, another case of one law for us and another for them.

I am totally opposed to nanny state governing, crash helmets on bikes, seat belts in cars, and now smoking, we as shooters would do well to remember, the next minority they pick on won't be as small as the last one. Funny how banning things is now acceptable in this "free" country of ours

These two rabbits escape from the laboratory and see grass for the first time. Lollopy, lollopy, lollopy, lop, they bounce through the grass when they meet an older rabbit. "Hello," says the older rabbit. "Would you like to come and stay at my warren?" "What's a warren?" ask the two rabbits. "Don't worry," replies the older rabbit. "Come and see." So off they go and they like the tunnels and chambers of the older rabbit's warren, and decide to stay. In the morning, the two rabbits are awaken by the thumping of the older rabbit: thump thump thump. "Come on out for the cabbages," calls the older rabbit. "What's a cabbage?" ask the two rabbits. So off they go and enjoy the day in the fields eating cabbages. They return very satisfied with their tummies full of cabbage and agree a good day was had. The following day: thump thump thump, "Come on out for the cabbages", and the same for the day after that. By the end of the third day, rabbit one says to rabbit two, "These cabbages are good but there must be more to life. Let's go and find it." Rabbit two agrees, so off they go lollopy lollopy lollopy lop across the grass. They meet a younger rabbit. "Hello," says the younger rabbit. "Why don't you come and live in my warren. I got young girly rabbits in my warren." So they agree and for three days, it was thump thump thump. By the end of the third day, rabbit one says to rabbit two, "Oh man, I gotta get out of here." "WHY?!?" asks rabbit two. "This is the best time of our lives!" he exclaims. "Yeah," says rabbit one, "but it has been a week since I've had a cigarette."

Will it be banned !! who knows

Sorry for going back to this but I found out today that one of the very few public places wich will be exempt from a smoking ban................

The houses of Parilment. Yes thats right the ******** who voted in the ban will still be allowed to smoke in their bars and offices but not Joe Public

Are you sure about that? I read that although TECHNICALLY exempt because it is a "palace" it will be a no smoking area. Even the famous "smoking room"!

It's all going to get messy very soon. Found out last night that my old local hospital has banned smoking on its site. Now, all the smokers have to walk the best part of half a mile to have a smoke.

I've heard that people (i.e. the managers) have started going outside to look for people as they are having a smoke. How long before they start getting penalised for smoking?

I quit four weeks ago and don't want to smoke again _ever_, but I still reckon that smokers get a hard time from non-smokers.

On a side note, the whole thing in Ireland with smoking being banned in pubs etc has made lots of pubs put up patio heaters for their customers. Apparently they are on so much because of the nighttime temperatures, that one patio heater produces the same amount of greenhouse emissions as a car drivign round for a day.

So: People have their risk of cancer reduced, but the planet has its risk of global warming increased. No one tell the governement, they'll tax or ban patio heaters!!

Wookie

It's all going to get messy very soon. Found out last night that my old local hospital has banned smoking on its site. Now, all the smokers have to walk the best part of half a mile to have a smoke.

I've heard that people (i.e. the managers) have started going outside to look for people as they are having a smoke. How long before they start getting penalised for smoking?

I quit four weeks ago and don't want to smoke again _ever_, but I still reckon that smokers get a hard time from non-smokers.

On a side note, the whole thing in Ireland with smoking being banned in pubs etc has made lots of pubs put up patio heaters for their customers. Apparently they are on so much because of the nighttime temperatures, that one patio heater produces the same amount of greenhouse emissions as a car drivign round for a day.

So: People have their risk of cancer reduced, but the planet has its risk of global warming increased. No one tell the governement, they'll tax or ban patio heaters!!

Wookie

What about all the trucks that stop delivering tobacco? and all the trips to france to buy cheap ciggies?

A couple of patio heaters is nothing.

But.. when will people start to stick up for themselves? global warming is destroying the planet.. we do nothing.. the goverment is taking away more and more from us.. we complain.. but we do nothing..

I think no one can be bothered to stick up for themelves..