When is a 3" Magnum, a 3" Magnum ??

Hiya,

Heres another "Newbie" query for you all...when is a 3" Magnum actually a 3" Magnum, as in, what cart classes as a Magnum....what gramms are they usually ?, 46,or 50....and what shot...3 or ???

I want to buy some, but havent a clue what to go for, for Fox and Geese...:)

Again guys, thanks in advance...you have all been really patient with me so far!!! :good:

There have been such things called 2 3/4" magnums which have a higher lead payload with slightly if any extra powder. They were not very fast, but appealed to the guy who didn't own a 3" gun and wanted to go after other game.

My two cents for the geese is to not get too wrapped up in the heavier loads. 3" shells are great, but more pellets are not always what they are cracked up to be. These loads are more punishing to shoot, and may not pattern well in your gun.

For fox, where you're likely to be shooting much less frequently, go ahead and get the maximum pellet count you can.

They key to both is to actually hit the target. When you ae shooting geese, the great tendency for many is to shoot the in the back half of the body as you either misjudged their speed, your lead or both. When you shoot geese in the front half of the body, they fall from the sky much more often.

Pattern your gun as soon as you can and stick with a load once you find it.

Good luck.

Pete

It's the gun proof that is deemed magnum.

The cartridges just have to be manufactured to work within those proof limits and chamber size.

If you intend to shoot geese/duck and fox you will have to buy two different types of shell,

steel in 3# for geese/duck and BB's for fox in lead. There is a legal issue here. I wouldn't use more than 36grm loads for anything but I'm probably a whimp when it comes to felt recoil!

You could, of course, use any other non-toxic shot for geese. It depends on how deep your pockets are.

GH

Edited by Greenhunter

If you intend to shoot geese/duck and fox you will have to buy two different types of shell,

steel in 3# for geese/duck and BB's for fox in lead. There is a legal issue here. I wouldn't use more than 36grm loads for anything but I'm probably a whimp when it comes to felt recoil!

You could, of course, use any other non-toxic shot for geese. It depends on how deep your pockets are.

GH

diving into the wildfowlers great debate there!!

I personally wouldnt be using no 3s in steel for flighted geese..maybe on decoyed geese as they tend to be closer

But if you are shooting inland in scotland, you can still use good old lead

I arent sure when a load becomes a magnum load but it should say pressure on the cartridge box, if this matches or is less than the proof marks on your gun then you are ok to use them

Personally i have always used around 40-50g of 3s in lead for geese and 42g BBs on the odd occasion i have had to deal with fox (but best to use rifle if you can!)

i now use bismuth for geese and have found eleys 42g BBs to pattern best in my gun so will stick with them

Best bet is to buy some cartridges and do a pattern test

if you are flighting geese you dont tend to be firing lots of shots as you would with decoying pigeons so you should be able to cope with the extra bit of shoulder punishment

i would rather suffer a bruised shoulder than use a light load, be comfy but not kill what i am shooting

Hi Guys, Thanks for the great replies, they are all very much appreciated......lots of good info there.. :good:

My Goose shooting will mainly be decoying inland, so, still able to use lead... :good:

As for Fox, I hunt on a driven shoot with Beagles, also still legal here in Scotland, and shotguns only allowed... :D

The gun is a Mossberg 500AT proofed to 4tons, and suitable for 3" shells....It's the one I bought last week from Boom Boom, and is now going to be my "big" gun till I can afford to buy a Semi...

I think I've got the gist of the "Magnum" thing now ( thanks to you all ), and will be nipping out tomorrow to buy a few different shells and will try them out tomorrow as well, really looking forward to it too......:)

Hopefully I'll be able to report back to you tomorrow evening..;)

But if you are shooting inland in scotland, you can still use good old lead

I arent sure when a load becomes a magnum load but it should say pressure on the cartridge box, if this matches or is less than the proof marks on your gun then you are ok to use them

Yes, you can still use lead inland, as long as it's not used over wetlands.

There is no line where a cartridge 'becomes' a magnum. It's mainly a marketing ploy to show a cartridge is more powerful than the norm. Most 3" cartridges would be classed as magnum loads due to the fact that they're bigger than the 'norm' ie 2 3/4" loads. I've got 2 cartridges in front of me now, one's a 3" 36g #3shot, the other is exactly the same load but in a 2 3/4" shell. The same load but only one is marked as magnum!

Yes, you can still use lead inland, as long as it's not used over wetlands.

There is no line where a cartridge 'becomes' a magnum. It's mainly a marketing ploy to show a cartridge is more powerful than the norm. Most 3" cartridges would be classed as magnum loads due to the fact that they're bigger than the 'norm' ie 2 3/4" loads. I've got 2 cartridges in front of me now, one's a 3" 36g #3shot, the other is exactly the same load but in a 2 3/4" shell. The same load but only one is marked as magnum!

I always thought the magnum part referred to the pressure. Non magnum is up to 600bar and magnum up to 1200 bar, or something similar. The pressure is usually quoted on the box.

I always thought the magnum part referred to the pressure. Non magnum is up to 600bar and magnum up to 1200 bar, or something similar. The pressure is usually quoted on the box.

It is confusing.

I've got some Bornaghi 36g #4's in steel, which state MAXIMUM 1050 bar. If it stated MINIMUM I could understand it. :hmm:

If it's 1050 bar, that's more than 600 bar, so it's a magnum.

It's not that simple unfortunately.

850bar - 1200 bar are classed as standard proof.

1200 bar and above are classed as special or magnum proof.

According to CIP magnum loads are only allowed for cartridges over 70mm (2 3/4")

As I mentioned my Gamebore mammoth 3" loads are classed as a magnum load,to be used in guns proofed to 1370 bar. My Bornaghi cartridges (same load and shot size) are 2 3/4" and are classed as a standard load, to be used in guns proofed to 1050 bar.

So two cartridges, both 36g #4 steel, one is classed as a magnum load and one isn't. :huh:

Magnum, a word without true meaning and definition by the gun trade to mean more powerful applied to shotguns,rifles, handguns and amuntion . Personally with the gun you describe and the ability to shoot lead i would go for English no1 shot it kills foxes at good range even with lighter choke and works great on most Geese but there is a lot of difference between a Canada and a pink

But how old is the gun? I had a BSA SINGLE XII 3" in the 1960s and the only 3" shells available were Eley Alphamax 1 3/8 oz.

Check the date of manufacture, the tons per sq. inch/BAR and the details on the cartridge box.

Hiya, Dont know the age of the gun,it's just a Mossberg Pump, with wood furniture... but it's proofed at 4 tons...it's def proofed for 2.3/4 in and 3in carts, it says so on the barrel..:)I was given some Alphamax carts, and they go through the gun no bother..:)

42g BBs (or any shotsize) used to be reffered as "minimag" but that is still available in the 2,3/4"

I've got some of these in 2.3/4 in too,Buffalo's I think they are... thats what I was using for Fox...:)

Edited by Norrie