Gamebore Steel Cartridges

fortune82

A friend uses them for the ducks on his pond

not sure what size but he says they are clean cartridges and kill well

i arent sure on the choke thing

some newer guns may be able to take them through any choke

but i heard the half choke rule aswell, i will stick to it, better safe than sorry! :good:

EDIT:

just noticed you are talking about the clay carts

i assume my mate uses bigger shot size and gram than you will be

what set up are you shooting?

i dont know of many people who use tighter chokes than half on the clays :hmm:

Edited by TJ91

Has anyone used any of the gamebore steel clay cartridges?

Whats your experience of them? On a gamebore poster I saw it said you could shoot them through any choke. Is this right as I always thought 1/2 choke max.

I used the Gamebore Black Gold steel cartridges a couple of years ago. I used them on a skeet range and they did the job on close birds. Couldn't say how they perform at range though. Oh, and they were very punchy.

There's a lot of conflicting information regarding steel. Gamebore will say you can use them through any choke, whereas the gun manufacturers will only recommend up to 1/2 choke. Depends who you put your trust in I guess. :hmm:

Steel shot patterns a lot tighter than lead so putting it through 1/2 choke should be plenty for any clay you're likely to encounter. :good:

I may be out of place here as I no longer shoot clays,but do use Gamebores 'Super Steel' for 'fowl.32grm 3's,which I'm very impressed with on Duck shooting,but have never fired them through tighter choke than 1/2.On the box it states;'Guns using steel shotregularly should have chokes lightened(NB 1/2 choke is ideal).'

Guest cookoff013

There's a lot of conflicting information regarding steel. Gamebore will say you can use them through any choke, whereas the gun manufacturers will only recommend up to 1/2 choke. Depends who you put your trust in I guess. :hmm:

the cip who regulate ammunition performance also recomend 1/2 or less choke.

if in doubt use cyl.

I suppose it is some sort of recommendation seeing as George Digweed uses them!

Gamebore are his sponsor but even so they can't be that bad if he can win the world championship for the

umteenth time with them.

Aparently he uses the faster Black Golds for longer shots and still uses steel for his pigeon shooting.

As he said on that vid on youtube, there is a greater number of shot in steel compared to the same weight of lead.

That should mean a denser pattern which should mean more kills.

GH

I suppose it is some sort of recommendation seeing as George Digweed uses them!

Gamebore are his sponsor but even so they can't be that bad if he can win the world championship for the

umteenth time with them.

Aparently he uses the faster Black Golds for longer shots and still uses steel for his pigeon shooting.

As he said on that vid on youtube, there is a greater number of shot in steel compared to the same weight of lead.

That should mean a denser pattern which should mean more kills.

GH

Think Gorge Digweed will say whatever his sponsors tell him to. I saw him on Fieldsports Britain using Gambore Extreme Pigeon to decoy with and they certainly weren't steel.

I got a slab of Gamebore 32g no.4s for pigeon shooting... Only bought them because the birds will start going to a raptor centre, and they can't take lead-shot animals. Seem ok, and cost £55 for 250. :blink: Shot through a 1/2 choke. They're plastic wad, so i'm not sure it would matter if a tighter choke was used (?) as they would sit in the cup.

They're plastic wad, so i'm not sure it would matter if a tighter choke was used (?) as they would sit in the cup.

I'd stick to half choke myself.

It's not so much being enclosed in the wad (that saves scratching of the bores), but steel won't compress through the choke constriction like lead, and could lead to problems.

Besides steel patterns a lot tighter than lead so your half choke will give as dense a pattern as 3/4 or even full choke if you were using lead. The only way to really see is to pattern test it, but I reckon you'll find 1/2 choke plenty for pigeons if using steel.

I'd stick to half choke myself.

It's not so much being enclosed in the wad (that saves scratching of the bores), but steel won't compress through the choke constriction like lead, and could lead to problems.

Besides steel patterns a lot tighter than lead so your half choke will give as dense a pattern as 3/4 or even full choke if you were using lead. The only way to really see is to pattern test it, but I reckon you'll find 1/2 choke plenty for pigeons if using steel.

Yeh, I use 1/2 for everything. The Beretta manual (from memory) advises 1/2 or less for steel shot. I'd rather not find out for myself what using a tighter choke might bring.

Has anyone used any of the gamebore steel clay cartridges?

Whats your experience of them? On a gamebore poster I saw it said you could shoot them through any choke. Is this right as I always thought 1/2 choke max.

Hi,

I use them, the Super Steel 24g 9's for skeet exclusively and they work very well. I switched to them mainly for cost reasons but am very happy with their performance.

As i put them through an auto they are quite soft on the shoulder although i have also tried them in my 525 O\U and a friends K80, i'd happilily do 200 in a day in my auto or the K80 but not sure about the 525.

I would say between the 3 of us we have done somewhere around 25-30k Super Steel this year with no issues whatsoever, maybe 3 or 4 in total failed to fire on the first attempt.

Choke wise I would stick with the gun manufacturers recommendations, in theory according to Gamebore you can put them through any choke, for skeet i use CYL with steel as they pattern slightly tighter. You are correct that generally no tighter than 1\2 choke providing it's a steel proofed gun.

I have never seen, heard or come across a ricochet personally but make sure you wear safety glasses.

I use lead for my sporting shooting but switching to steel for skeet has saved me about £500 this year with no negatives in performance.

Jon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cookoff013

Choke wise I would stick with the gun manufacturers recommendations, in theory according to Gamebore you can put them through any choke, for skeet i use CYL with steel as they pattern slightly tighter.

I use lead for my sporting shooting but switching to steel for skeet has saved me about £500 this year with no negatives in performance.

Jon.

editted

imho steel and skeet go together lovely, when i went on a skeet phase, i couldnt shoot enough of the cartridges. they pattern very tight, so i went to a 24g, and i may even go 21g steel 9. it saved me more than £100, and i actually like shooting them, i see no benefit from using lead at skeet targets. (- shocking)

lots of shooters are using steel now, and has become a staple diet, because they are cheap. as for choke, cyl / cyl has been adopted by lots of people. this is the 4 or 5th time i`ve seen it posted on here. i dont think you can go wrong with a cyl /cyl combo.